Eric is Gay for Venom

VENOM: THE LAST DANCE WEEKEND THREAD

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

X-Men First Class was more or less the Magneto origin story

Yeah, I love that movie to bits, it's definitely Magneto's movie in all but name and shows the potential of having a movie focused on him.

I think a Loki film would have had a lot of potential if we hadn't already gotten a (amazing) TV show focused on him.

Maybe 10 years down the road rebooted versions of Loki and Magneto would make for good movies, I certainly can see that. I can't think of anyone else* though.

*It's interesting that the Penguin TV show is doing extremely well though (at least quality-wise, no idea about its numbers), I would have never guessed that Penguin out of all CBM villains would make for a compelling story.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What, really? Hmm, I guess I should have expected that after the last one did relatively well. But what even is the story of this one?

It would be funny if they get another successful film out of what everyone thought was a dead franchise.

The story is about Haymitch's games. The 50th Hunger Games. 

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah, I love that movie to bits, it's definitely Magneto's movie in all but name and shows the potential of having a movie focused on him.

I think a Loki film would have had a lot of potential if we hadn't already gotten a (amazing) TV show focused on him.

Maybe 10 years down the road rebooted versions of Loki and Magneto would make for good movies, I certainly can see that. I can't think of anyone else* though.

*It's interesting that the Penguin TV show is doing extremely well though (at least quality-wise, no idea about its numbers), I would have never guessed that Penguin out of all CBM villains would make for a compelling story.

Penguin numbers are very, very, good.

The wierd thing is the show has turned out to be as much about Sofia Falcone as Oz.

33 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What, really? Hmm, I guess I should have expected that after the last one did relatively well. But what even is the story of this one?

It would be funny if they get another successful film out of what everyone thought was a dead franchise.

It was announced the exact same time the new prequel book was announced. I'm sure Collins and Lionsgate, or whoever buys up the franchise in a few years, are gonna be in lock step with each other any time Suzanne goes in for that sweet Hunger Games nostalgia money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise_on_the_Reaping

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

14m friday i guess

That (65%) would be a worse Thursday to Friday jump than Joker 2 at 86%

36 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Don't wait to derail this thread but a Magneto movie would be a big hit if done right. he is (still is) a very popular character. I am always sad we never got a proper Magneto origin story. 

This is the weekend thread, you can talk about anything you want.

Something positive that I've just noticed is that even with Venom underperformance it's very likely that this will be the first year since 2019 where the whole domestic top 10 is above $200M. Six movies crossed the mark and there's Wicked, Gladiator 2, Moana 2, Sonic 3 and Mufasa in the next months. 

By the way, I mean their full run, not just untill the year ends. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Something positive that I've just noticed is that even with Venom underperformance it's very likely that this will be the first year since 2019 where the whole domestic top 10 is above $200M. Six movies crossed the mark and there's Wicked, Gladiator 2, Moana 2, Sonic 3 and Mufasa in the next months. 

Would've been a lock if Joker and venom performed as they were initially expected to, but can't say they didn't bring it on themselves. 

Pretty much will need the holiday season to be 2002 caliber at this point to do it but still a minute chance 2024 can beat last year. Gladiator and wicked presales doing their part so far at least, and 2025 does look like a healthier overall slate on paper.

• Like 1

I'm a few hours late but Spiderverse would be very lucky to get a 2026 release date. By all accounts production on that movie only truly started after the strikes were done since they had basically nothing done besides some small things before Across came out. 3 years full production should be expected on the movie since that's how it goes for animated films that aren't cheaply made, so late 2026 at best they can maybe make December but I really don't want them doing criminal work schedules for these animatiors again. Realistically sometime in 2027 is when I'd expect the movie. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

How many Cinematic Universes have succeeded?

Call them a theme park if you want but they're not an easy thing to launch successfully. 

Besides the big obvious 30 billion dollar one...Monsterverse. That's all I can think of. 

also venom 3 was boring and lame, which is a shame because I like the first two even though they are not good movies. Empire is also saying $8m+ for Conclave which would be decent all things considered. Controversy dosen't seem to be affecting the movie yet.

Edited by Skim Beeble

19 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Positive yes ... but also because we've had fewer top tier films and so there has been more love (and $$$) to spread around to the second and third tier films

In 2022, 8 films topped $325M, followed by 5 the following year, but as of now there are only 3 (two of those being $600M+), with a couple of potentials still on the calendar

FWIW, this kind of outcome, the return of a middle class, was something I postulated might happen this year in the Dead Zone write-up a few months back (under The But)

After all this verbosity, will we ever see another $250M non-animated film? Almost certainly we will, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there were several this year in particular. Why? The release calendar is largely absent of those top heavy tentpoles, typically with their Spring/Early summer, mid to late Summer and Xmas flags already planted, and probably gives films that were destined to run up again the invisible wall more space to flourish.

The adults who typically see a handful (3-6) movies a year, who in 2022 could have had dates circled for Strange MoM, JWD, BPWF and Avatar 2 (maybe TGM too) probably have only late July’s Deadpool 3 as a must see, followed by (I suppose) Joker, and then … surely IO2 and DM4 will pick up some adults, but after that I guess Beetlejuice 2? And, uh ...? And none of these (at least to me) scream $500M potential (though to be fair, neither did Mario or Barbie)

Looking back at 2014, the last non-pandemic affected year without a true major event film and the top release under $340M (note: Sniper is really a 2015 release), and you instead find FIVE films settling into the void that would open up the following year. So in a year lacking the big draws at the top, should not be at all surprised to see the mid-tier films return, find their way into the Dead Zone, perhaps starting off with Dune II

Spoiler

LOL at JOKER being the second likeliest tentpole suggested (at least qualified with an "I suppose")

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

Hide contents

LOL at JOKER being the second likeliest tentpole suggested (at least qualified with an "I suppose")

In your defense, I think almost everyone thought the same if we're talking about the adults pick lol 

Edited by Mickiland16