Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

56 minutes ago, Litio said:

Seriously, if New Mutants is so garbage, horrible, unsaveable, why didn't Disney simply put it on Hulu? If the film is unsaveable, why are they still wondering what to do with it? If Disney is forced to release this "unsaveable piece of crap" in theaters, why haven't they released it on a limited theatrical run with little or no marketing?

Not saying they will end up doing either of those things, but the deal for Fox has been closed less than 3 months.  It's not as if Disney's release slate has been thin during that time frame.  And their acquisition of Comcast's stake in Hulu hasn't even happened yet (and won't for an estimated 5 years). 

1 hour ago, Litio said:

People told me that Dark Phoenix would have the same FF 2015 quality level and it didn't. Seriously, if New Mutants is so garbage, horrible, unsaveable, why didn't Disney simply put it on Hulu? If the film is unsaveable, why are they still wondering what to do with it? If Disney is forced to release this "unsaveable piece of crap" in theaters, why haven't they released it on a limited theatrical run with little or no marketing?

Disney+ isn’t out for at least another 5 months.

Its also wise to give this breathing space from Dark Phoenix.

I love how your options are either release it in theaters in April or dump it on the internet immediately, as if there are no other options.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

14 minutes ago, Horner said:

Not saying they will end up doing either of those things, but the deal for Fox has been closed less than 3 months.  It's not as if Disney's release slate has been thin during that time frame.  And their acquisition of Comcast's stake in Hulu hasn't even happened yet (and won't for an estimated 5 years). 

Makes sense, but they didn't take so long to make some changes in Fox calendar.

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

Disney+ isn’t out for at least another 5 months.

So why did Disney bother to find a new date for NM in theaters if the movie is unsaveable and it is going to D+?

10 minutes ago, Litio said:

So why did Disney bother to find a new date for NM in theaters if the movie is unsaveable and it is going to D+?

Paramount scheduled a new release date for Cloverfield Paradox I think a month before it dropped on Netflix.

Having a placeholder release date puts a better face on the project than leaving it undated altogether.

Its also plausible that Disney was considering the theatrical release based on how Dark Phoenix did, and secured the release date if they wanted to go that route.

At the end of the day, it’s just a save-the-date that’s been moved around 3 times and an end easily move some more. Disney is as commited to releasing it in April 2020 as Fox was commited to any of their release dates for NM.

30 minutes ago, Litio said:

Of course it didn't.  You're talking about integrating two slates that, up until a few months ago, were planned by competing studios.  Some adjustments are more overtly necessary than others and there's not much sense in hem hawing around on those, particularly when it grants a longer production window for those films.  But what could be considered "dumping" a troubled acquired project doesn't necessitate immediately shifting a release date forward.  They can just as easily do that by limiting NM's planned reshoots, which have yet to happen, to pickups and letting it land on it's current date or push it a couple of weeks if they conclude a little more room between it and Mulan would be beneficial to the later.

2 hours ago, Litio said:

How did you get to that number?
The only costs that Disney would have with this movie, releasing it in the theaters (as it is) would be the marketing and release costs. Do you know how much is spent worldwide to release and marketing small films?
According to the deadline:
Unfriended ($ 44m)
Insidious 3 ($ 44m)
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel ($ 54m)
Paper Towns ($ 51.50m)

you just named movie with budget of 1~10m. 

and I'm sure NM is more belong on those type movie.

Nun(22m budget) - 90m
HALLOWEEN(10m budget) - 75.5m
Crazy Rich Asians(30m budget) - 72m
A QUIET PLACE(17m budget) - 86m

Edited by imbruglia

44 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

you just named movie with budget of 1~10m. 

and I'm sure NM is more belong on those type movie.

Nun(22m budget) - 90m
HALLOWEEN(10m budget) - 75.5m
Crazy Rich Asians(30m budget) - 72m
A QUIET PLACE(17m budget) - 86m

Disney spent $0 to produce NM and as I had said before, these expenses increase after the film is released according to reception / success. Films don't significantly increase initial release costs if it doesn't do as expected at BO. These movies you cited were big hits.

Edited by Litio

This is the last Fox-Men comicbook movie, so it's interesting what might happen to it.

I assume Feige probably watched it already. He's the one who'll say if reshoots are needed or not. I'm not a producer nor a business guy, so my word isn't law. Considering that the trailer was released almost 2 years ago and the actors are obviously older and even ( possibly ) fatter, I wouldn't spend a dime on it. 

9 minutes ago, Litio said:

Disney spent $0 to produce NM and as I had said before, these expenses increase after the film is released according to reception / success. Films don't significantly increase initial release costs if it doesn't do as expected at BO. These movies you cited were big hits.

1: Disney having not (personally) funded the production budget gives them more leeway to distribute it however they want, not more incentive to release it in theaters.

2: Are you actually claiming that a film's production and/or marketing budget increases AFTER release, based on the box office run? Aside from the distribution of back end revenue points (%) that top line creative talent might receive, this is a hilariously baseless claim.

Tell me, after a film has been produced, marketed, and released, what more is there for the studio to invest in based on the film's box office?

Films DO NOT "significantly increase initial release costs" AFTER being released, based on critical/commercial reception. That's factually impossible. Name me one film that saw it's budget increase after it was released.

1: Disney having not (personally) funded the production budget gives them more leeway to distribute it however they want, not more incentive to release it in theaters.

2: Are you actually claiming that a film's production and/or marketing budget increases AFTER release, based on the box office run? Aside from the distribution of back end revenue points (%) that top line creative talent might receive, this is a hilariously baseless claim.

Tell me, after a film has been produced, marketed, and released, what more is there for the studio to invest in based on the film's box office?

Films DO NOT "significantly increase initial release costs" AFTER being released, based on critical/commercial reception. That's factually impossible. Name me one film that saw it's budget increase after it was released.

I said release costs, not budget. Distributor keeps spending money to keep the movie in theaters.

1 minute ago, Litio said:

I said release costs, not budget. Distributor keeps spending money to keep the movie in theaters.

.... I'm not sure how this argument (which applies to any and every movie ever released) is supposed to help New Mutants.

Never mind the fact that the distribution rollout is decided and paid for before any film is released. A distributor is going to pay the same distribution fees regardless of if their film is a breakout hit or dumpster fire in the opening weeks. Generally the first two weeks are locked. For example, "Godzilla 2" didn't lose a single theater in it's second weekend, despite crashing in it's opening weekend.

So those distribution costs are pre-determined and largely insignificant compared to the production and marketing costs.

.... I'm not sure how this argument (which applies to any and every movie ever released) is supposed to help New Mutants.

You suggested that Disney needed to spend "big" money to release NM. I have shown you that it is not like that.

14 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Will anyone still care about this movie when it comes out? It has been delayed so long that any sort of hype for it must have died down by now.

A new trailer if it’s really good could get the hype back... 

13 minutes ago, Litio said:

You suggested that Disney needed to spend "big" money to release NM. I have shown you that it is not like that.

Look, I and others have explained the finances, production troubles, reshoot logistics and surrounding circumstances to you ad nauseam at this point, you clearly have already decided that New Mutants would be a financial success in theatrical release. Even though most movies never recoup their budgets. Even though we're about to have our third consecutive blockbuster flop in as many weeks.

In your mind, it seems Disney has no reason to consider alternative distribution platforms. That it's theatrical or bust.

I'm not going to argue with a psychic.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This is the last Fox-Men comicbook movie, so it's interesting what might happen to it.

I assume Feige probably watched it already. He's the one who'll say if reshoots are needed or not. I'm not a producer nor a business guy, so my word isn't law. Considering that the trailer was released almost 2 years ago and the actors are obviously older and even ( possibly ) fatter, I wouldn't spend a dime on it. 

Which means the film was shot closer to 3years ago circa 2016.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Or if the film is such a mess that no amount of reshooting would fix it, and if you have to release it in theaters for contracutal obligation reasons just dump it.

Spend as little as possible on the release, and cut your losses.

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

3 hours ago, Godzilla said:

A new trailer if it’s really good could get the hype back... 

And if pigs had wings, they could fly......

From the way both Fox and now Disney are treating this movie, only reasonable conclusion is the film is a big mess. Good films do not sit around on the shelf for two years.

FOx pulled the trigger amost immediately on reshoots for DP, but did not do so for NM.That should tell you something.