Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

4 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, what's the status of this movie now? Dark Phoenix was badly reviewed and is flopping ( I liked the movie, but that's not the discussion here ).

Is it gonna be released to the new Disney's streaming service? Is it gonna be cancelled? The actors are already 2 years old now, so reshooting it is gonna be weird. 

I think what  happened with Dark Phoenix sure as hell make it a lot less likely that Disney is going to sink a lot of money into reshoots.

Fact is, with a 40 Million budget NM is a disposible film.Dinsey does not have a huge investment at stake,and not all that much reason to throw good money in a attemp to save what by all accounts is a pretty badly flawed film.

Would not be surprised if the only reason it gets a theatrical release is that the deal with requires Disney to give it a release. If so, Disney willl spend as little as possible on it and basiclaly dump it.

Dark Phoenix was a big investment so youhad the "too big to fail/throw away
 thing going. you don't have that with NM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I don't think reshoots are happening. I think Kinberg has been lying out of his ass about the reshoots later this year (like he has lied about other things). He just didn't want to admit it on the Dark Phoenix press tour. Would have been a horrible look for everyone.

What did Kinberg lie about before?

after DP's performances.. spending money and time for reshoot and also promotion budget would be dumb idea.

that would be spending at least +100m and then it need to make +300m on boxoffice.

(remember original reshoot plan in 2018 was reshooting +50% of movie with new set/characters)

I don't know how DP's boxoffice will end, but it seems like struggle around 300m.. so..

just release it to theater without reshoot and big promotion, or streaming release (hulu / netflix) sound better.

Why are there STILL people wondering whether it's going to theaters, it is, it's been confirmed multiple times or do you just not believe it? Dark Phoenix will have no bearing on it, the average joe would have no idea from the original trailer that this even takes place in the X-Men universe. That Disney is investing money at all in the film for reshoots MEANS something. Call me an optimist but I can see The New Mutants as one film Feige and co will use to introduce the mutants in the MCU, it wouldn't take much, they have the time to throw a connection in there, it can even be subtle. Fact is, the multiverse is one of the best things that's happened to the MCU, it opens up the possibilities for New Mutants or the X-Men to be happening in another dimension or something.

Fact is, we don't know their plans FOR SURE, rebooting the X-Men themselves is what everyone is assuming, but Feige having produced the X-Men trilogy (first ones) makes me think he probably respects it, and they've got a fantastic main cast right now, not to mention the OGs, I would be really surprised if Feige just throws it all away, we'll see.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Why are there STILL people wondering whether it's going to theaters, it is, it's been confirmed multiple times or do you just not believe it? Dark Phoenix will have no bearing on it, the average joe would have no idea from the original trailer that this even takes place in the X-Men universe. That Disney is investing money at all in the film for reshoots MEANS something. Call me an optimist but I can see The New Mutants as one film Feige and co will use to introduce the mutants in the MCU, it wouldn't take much, they have the time to throw a connection in there, it can even be subtle. Fact is, the multiverse is one of the best things that's happened to the MCU, it opens up the possibilities for New Mutants or the X-Men to be happening in another dimension or something.

Fact is, we don't know their plans FOR SURE, rebooting the X-Men themselves is what everyone is assuming, but Feige having produced the X-Men trilogy (first ones) makes me think he probably respects it, and they've got a fantastic main cast right now, not to mention the OGs, I would be really surprised if Feige just throws it all away, we'll see.

Sir, it's over.

Just hope D+ has a 4k option.

39 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Couple points:

1: This movie was confirmed to be released in 2018. Then confirmed to be released in 2019. Then super duper confirmed to be released in 2020. The reboots were "scheduled" for multiple points over the past 18 months. Disney hasn't invested any money in reshoots yet. I'll believe it when I see it.

2: Feige will not be retrofitting a low budget Fox horror mutant spinoff film to introduce mutants to the MCU. He will produce a film from start to finish, on his timeline. Everything in the MCU stems from Feige from the onset.

3: Feige hasn't had anything to do with X-Men for the past decade. Why would he want to continue with a franchise that's about to take a $100m+ financial loss? The franchise threw itself away before Feige would have the chance.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Couple points:

1: This movie was confirmed to be released in 2018. Then confirmed to be released in 2019. Then super duper confirmed to be released in 2020. The reboots were "scheduled" for multiple points over the past 18 months. Disney hasn't invested any money in reshoots yet. I'll believe it when I see it.

2: Feige will not be retrofitting a low budget Fox horror mutant spinoff film to introduce mutants to the MCU. He will produce a film from start to finish, on his timeline. Everything in the MCU stems from Feige from the onset.

3: Feige hasn't had anything to do with X-Men for the past decade. Why would he want to continue with a franchise that's about to take a $100m+ financial loss? The franchise threw itself away before Feige would have the chance.

Also why would Feige have any involvement with this? 

He's the head of MS, not Disney Pictures. Just because these companies and studios are owned by the same corporation doesn't actually mean they're ran as one singular entity. Like I doubt the Disney Channel people control the operations of ABC and FX.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Also why would Feige have any involvement with this? 

He's the head of MS, not Disney Pictures. Just because these companies and studios are owned by the same corporation doesn't actually mean they're ran as one singular entity. Like I doubt the Disney Channel people control the operations of ABC and FX.

The fact that Disney/Marvel Studios very rapidly took over presenting duties for the Hollywood premiere of Dark Phoenix (and live streamed it through the Marvel Studios channel on YouTube) shows me that they're already involved.  That's a pretty gracious thing they did, considering the already bad buzz surrounding the production...they could have just washed their hands of it.

I'd expect at the very least that Feige is a "consultant" at this point (even if just virtually/Skype) for any further/final decisions on New Mutants.

Edited by Macleod

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

The fact that Disney/Marvel Studios very rapidly took over presenting duties for the Hollywood premiere of Dark Phoenix (and live streamed it through the Marvel Studios channel on YouTube) shows me that they're already involved.  That's a pretty gracious thing they did, considering the already bad buzz surrounding the production...they could have just washed their hands of it.

I'd expect at the very least that Feige is a "consultant" at this point (even if just virtually/Skype) for any further/final decisions on New Mutants.

That was “Marvel Entertainment” ran by Ike Perlmutter, not Marvel Studios. 

That is an entirely different company. IIRC the only thing they do together is the movie merchandise. 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

As I've been saying for a solid year now, no way this is getting a theatrical release. Now any tiny chance it had has officially vanished. 

Unless, of course, Disney has a contractual obligation to give New Mutants a threatircal release, which could have been part of the Deal with Fox.  So it's still a possibility. But I got a feeling if Disney has to release it to theaters, it's going to be done for a little money as possible and with a very modest marketing budget..in other words, dumped. But even a "we are not going to spend a dime more on this then necessary" approach would still probably end up costing the Mouse as much as the film itself.

But if there is no contractual obligation, I think Disney is very much looking at a DTV/Streaming release for this, and save the money a theatrical release would cost. Warners is doing that with it's film of the Jungle Book,and that cost twice as much as New Mutants cost.

Dark Phoenix had a "too big to just throw away" factor;not  releasing a 150 Million dollar film (the intial budget for DP) would  be tough to explain to stockholders; so the studio execs were inclined to spend quite a bit of money to try to save it (final budget of 200 Million because of the costly reshoots). But a 40 Million dollar film is disposalableyou can make the argument to stockholders about saving money by not releasing it which you could not make with a expensive film like DP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

That was “Marvel Entertainment” ran by Ike Perlmutter, not Marvel Studios. 

That is an entirely different company. IIRC the only thing they do together is the movie merchandise. 

True, but with his record of success, I am pretty sure that Feige was involved..even if unofficially, in the DP release;l same for NM. Disney is not stupid, with Feige level of success with the Marvel Universe it would be stupid not to get his opinion and advice.

3 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Agree 100% with this.  If anything I think Disney would prefer to remove any connections at all to the X-Men/Marvel rather than using this film to introdue mutants to the MCU.

Thing to remember ti even before the Fox/Disney deal,Fox Studios was treating New Mutants like something you wanted to touch only with a pair of tongs. It was handling it the way studios usually handl films they know have not turned out well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

This is never coming out in theaters and the reshoots probably won't even happen.

I am beginning to suspect that only way this gets a thereatrical release is if The Fox/Disney deal legally obligated a threatrical release for completed Fox Films. But then suspect The Mouse to spend as little on it as possible.

3 hours ago, SoSaysI said:

Agree 100% with this.  If anything I think Disney would prefer to remove any connections at all to the X-Men/Marvel rather than using this film to introdue mutants to the MCU.

As of Sunday, I've encountered three general audience people who are confused about the association the X-Men movies have with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The first whined to me about how the X-Men weren't in "Endgame," and even after explaining it to her, she didn't get why it couldn't have happened 🙄 The second person responded with some like two MCU movies, more than two FOX Marvel films, and finally "Batman vs. Superman, Justice League, and Wonder Woman," when I asked her which movies leading up to "Endgame" she had previously seen. 🙄🙄 On Sunday, my roommate's friend asked if I was going to "see the new Marvel movie."

Disney should absolutely not release "The New Mutants" in theaters, especially after the abomination that is "Dark Phoenix" going up in box office flames. Their X-Men reboot series needs to be as disassociated with the FOX-Men movies as much as possible, which means releasing "The New Mutants" on bootleg (or Disney+, I guess) and eliminating possible future confusion regarding their rebranding of the X-Men characters.