Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

Why are people rooting for this don't be released in theaters? New Mutants won't be big enough to affect a big brand like MCU and I'm pretty sure the audience knows how to differentiate the movies from MCU. I mean, if audience thought Dark Phoenix was a MCU movie, why it opened so low at box office?
If you don't want to watch NM, just don't watch it. Is that hard? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Litio said:

Why are people rooting for this don't be released in theaters? New Mutants won't be big enough to affect a big brand like MCU and I'm pretty sure the audience knows how to differentiate the movies from MCU. I mean, if audience thought Dark Phoenix was a MCU movie, why it opened so low at box office?

I am not so sure people are rooting for this not to be released but discussing why Disney might choose not to do so.

And DP opening low at the box office had nothing to do with it's not be sold as a MCU film.It bombed because it was not a good movie, and the marketing could not disguise that fact. And the reviews and poor WOM killed it with people who felt they had been burned with apocalypse and were waiting for the reaction to DP.

If NM is as big a mess as everything suggests it is, then why should Disney spend the 40 to 50 Million it would take...minimum...to release and market the film? It would throwing away good money after bad. Releasing a movie costs a lot of money Not unusual with lower budgeted films for the cost of release and marketing to be a lot more then the cost of the film itself.

Look, I know you are a big fan of the Fox  men franchise, but sadly, the last  2 films  have apparently not turned out very well.

Then there is the rumor that the contract the name actors had with Fox for New Mutants requires a theatrical release, in which case The Mouse would have no choice but to release it in theaters. Disney has to abide by all contracts made by Fox before the merger. That is standard business law 101:You acquire all the legal obligations when you acquire the company.

If ture, then Disney will pretty much dump this film at minimal cost if it's as big a mess as everything indicates.

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am not so sure people are rooting for this not to be released but discussing why Disney might choose not to do so.

And DP opening low at the box office had nothing to do with it's not be sold as a MCU film.It bombed because it was not a good movie, and the marketing could not disguise that fact. And the reviews and poor WOM killed it with people who felt they had been burned with apocalypse and were waiting for the reaction to DP.

If NM is as big a mess as everything suggests it is, then why should Disney spend the 40 to 50 Million it would take...minimum...to release and market the film? It would throwing away good money after bad. Releasing a movie costs a lot of money Not unusual with lower budgeted films for the cost of release and marketing to be a lot more then the cost of the film itself.

Look, I know you are a big fan of the Fox  men franchise, but sadly, the last  2 films  have apparently not turned out very well.

Insidious 3 ($113m worldwide) spent less than $ 45 million between release costs and marketing worldwide according deadline. With $100m+ at box office WW, Disney likely would start paying those costs.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Litio said:

Because it doesn't make economic sense for Disney to invest in reshoots and release this mess. It makes more sense to cut their losses, and use this to promote the heck out of D+ as an exclusive.

9 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Because it doesn't make economic sense for Disney to invest in reshoots and release this mess. It makes more sense to cut their losses, and use this to promote the heck out of D+ as an exclusive.

Disney has enough money to do this, but they don't need. Release it as it is at least. I'm going to pay to watch it unless it is a Disney+ or Hulu exclusive.

Edited by Litio
  • Like 1

Well, this is now Disney's IP no matter how good/bad it is. 

Feige has the power to decide if this movie needs reshoots or not. If he'll reboot X-Men, then there's no point trying to change anything in this movie. At best, this will lose less money than Dark Phoenix.

I won't lie, I'm pretty curious to watch this one. In fact, I won't be surprised if it performs better than Dark Phoenix. I can say most of people were tired of Fox X-Men flicks. My mother loved previous movies but she told me she wouldn't watch Dark Phoenix because the movies felt the same old same old thing. 

It is quite optimistic to think that all, most, or the majority of the general audiences knows there is a difference between Disney's MCU and FOX's X-Men universe. The FOX-Men franchise is dunzo - finished, and it's ending with two shit-notes. Why put a third piece of shit in theaters unless you're contractually obligated, only for casual moviegoers to think, "Oh, man... More X-Men movies... The last three were garbage trainwrecks, I'll pass on this dumpster fire again," in the next fiveish years.

Let's recap New Mutants:

Indie/Romance director Josh Boone pitches an R-rated horror mutant film set in an insane asylum to Studio Hack Simon Kinberg. Kinberg and Fox hire Boone to make the film a PG-13 "young adult" film. Kinberg is to busy directing Dark Phoenix to bother being the only producer on New Mutants, leading to a messy production. Boone feels "a bit neutered" by the studio. Filming wraps up, "It" becomes a breakout hit, and Fox decides to reshoot parts of New Mutants to fulfill Boone's original R-rated vision. Over time, it becomes apparent half the film would need to be reshot, and difficulties arise in getting the cast together, all while Disney buys the studio. The release is delayed by, at minimum, two years. 

Everyone caught up?

This film's going to be as big of a mess as Dark Phoenix.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Then there is the rumor that the contract the name actors had with Fox for New Mutants requires a theatrical release, in which case The Mouse would have no choice but to release it in theaters. Disney has to abide by all contracts made by Fox before the merger. That is standard business law 101:You acquire all the legal obligations when you acquire the company.

If ture, then Disney will pretty much dump this film at minimal cost if it's as big a mess as everything indicates.

Who in this cast would have enough pull for this? Maisie? Lol

Watch this movie be good and actually tie into the MCU or at least leave a window open for that. Use your logic. Contract be damned, Disney would NOT be investing money in reshoots if they did not see potential. They don't have a reason to bother (see them nuking several projects lately, from Fox), so Feige must see potential there. Also, this is supposedly a 45M film, it's going to feel very different, there apparently at one point wasn't any mention of the word mutant in the film, no average joe would know from that first trailer that the film is even in the X-Men universe, if there is a launching pad to bring the mutants in the MCU, this is it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Watch this movie be good and actually tie into the MCU or at least leave a window open for that. Use your logic. Contract be damned, Disney would NOT be investing money in reshoots if they did not see potential. They don't have a reason to bother (see them nuking several projects lately, from Fox), so Feige must see potential there. Also, this is supposedly a 45M film, it's going to feel very different, there apparently at one point wasn't any mention of the word mutant in the film, no average joe would know from that first trailer that the film is even in the X-Men universe, if there is a launching pad to bring the mutants in the MCU, this is it. 

You know, save for the title and the fact that the first teaser had the Marvel logo..

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Disbelief 1

21 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

No, but I'm sure even the average joe could put 2 and 2 together considering only the X-Men movies use the terms mutants and again, that Marvel logo.

Spider Man reboot came out only 3 years after another Spider Man movie and it did $880m still. Why do you act as if MCU is a fragile brand? It is not

6 minutes ago, Litio said:

Spider Man reboot came out only 3 years after another Spider Man movie and it did $880m still. Why do you act as if MCU is a fragile brand? It is not

You think after the billions of dollars it made and being one of the most beloved franchises out there that I think the MCU is fragile? I didn't even BRING UP the MCU, New Mutants isn't even MCU it's literally the last remnants of Fox's X-Men franchise. With how much of a disaster this movie has been production wise after it was filmed, I highly doubt they will add it to the MCU.

All I know is that the X-Men have been around for 20 years in theaters and all have the big Marvel logo slapped on the screen. And Mutants is said thousands of times per movie, you could literally make a drinking game out of it.

You release a trailer for New Mutants which has Mutants in the title and has the Marvel logo slapped into the trailer. Not to mention a lot of people will find the trailer on social media like Twitter or Facebook or Youtube which will have titles like "See the new trailer from the world of X-Men, or see the newest trailer to the new X-Men movie." They're going to likely try to market it as an X-Men movie as well, or rather a spin-off.

And when Disney/MCU properly reboot X-Men, it's going to open huge and make shit tons of money.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

And when Disney/MCU properly reboot X-Men, it's going to open huge and make shit tons of money.

So, what's your fear? I hope they release this movie in theaters. I want watch it and there are other people who want too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Litio said:

So, what's your fear? I hope they release this movie in theaters. I want watch it and there are other people who want too.

I'm not really fearful for the movie, hell, I'm sorta looking forward to it because it has Magik and Wolfsbane. The movie sorta opens up a supernatural bent to the original franchise and possibly open it up to a new direction. 

I just literally think the Demon Bear would have worked as a better villain than having it set in an insane facility and likely having the faculty staff as villains. And Demon Bear may still indeed end up happening.

My whole post from earlier is that I'm pretty sure that people will know it's an X-Men movie anyway.