Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

On 9/8/2020 at 5:55 PM, Napoleon said:

At the time Dark Phoenix and New Mutants were greenlit they didn't know Disney would be buying Fox and that Feige would be taking the control of the characters. There was no reason for them to end the X-Men franchise with Logan.

h

I dont' see that has much to do with th box office failure of Phoenix and New Mutants. Even before the Merger, Fox was treating both as "problem" pictures. In the end, Fox spent a lot on reshoots for Phoenix that failed to save the film, and NM was such a mess that Fox put it on the shelf and never did  major reshoots on it.

I think both films went out pretty much the same as if Fox had reamined a independent studio.

Disney saw what heappened with Phoenix, and decided, quite wisely from a business point of view, not to spend money on reshoots;they wrote off the film. it had a low budget, and did not have the too big to fail factor which made FOx pull the trigger on expensive reshoots for Phoenix.

I don't like the merger very much....no studio should have that much power....but I don't think Dsiney can be blame for the post Logan X men films failing. Pre Merger Fox Management is responsible for that.

Disney has announced the asylum thriller will arrive on Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD DVD, and Digital HD formats on November 17. Befitting a troubled production that underwent numerous roundelays of rewriting and spent years in development hell, the “Ultimate Collectors Edition” will feature seven deleted scenes in a naked bid to appeal to X-Men completists.

To hear it from Comscore senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian, The New Mutants is unlikely to hit financial break even at the box office before arriving on DVD (the film’s production budget is reported to be between $60 million and $80 million, and movie theaters generally take about half the box-office gross). But the film may ultimately be able to parlay its notoriety as one of the scant few major releases to see the inside of theaters this year into a DVD selling point — bonus materials and all — that could push it toward profitability.

(...)

Dergarabedian speculates that even in spite of myriad profit-sharing agreements that exist between the studio’s theatrical and home-video divisions, Mutants could surpass unspectacular early returns and defy financial expectations. “Strangely enough, it could wind up that this movie mutates into a hit at the end of the day,” he adds. “We have to adjust our expectations. It’s not just one thing. There are so many layers to this in terms of both financials and consumer behaviors.”

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/the-new-mutants-heads-to-home-video-deleted-scenes-and-all.html

7 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Every time this thread gets bumped, I assume the movie got del...what? It finally got released?!? For real? Whaaaaaat?!?

GOd a dump release (which it would have got even if there was no virus)  did not do well at the box office; the agony is over.

Sad end to an once great film franchise.

So if Tenet could have theoretically done ~200M domestic in a non-COVID world, and is instead going to do around 60M or so (depending on re-releases, etc. which New Mutants wouldn't have anyways), should we assume that in a non-COVID world, this would have done about 3-3.5x what it actually grossed? And that we could have been seeing a 25/70 type run?

Edited by DAJK

41 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So if Tenet could have theoretically done ~200M domestic in a non-COVID world, and is instead going to do around 60M or so (depending on re-releases, etc. which New Mutants wouldn't have anyways), should we assume that in a non-COVID world, this would have done about 3-3.5x what it actually grossed? And that we could have been seeing a 25/70 type run?

WHo knows?

One difference is that Tenet would have been heavily marketed by Warners no matter what; and Disney would have dumped NM no matter what.

I think NM would have failed at the box office without the Covid virus.

This would have probably done very well in its original release date (April 2018). The first trailer was very well received. It wouldn't have had the bad press from the constant delays. Maisie Williams would be getting attention for this by making headlines talking about the highly anticipated final season of Game of Thrones. And also the decision to delay it in order to do reshoots may have impacted the quality, as post production must have been paused, and resumed with less resources when Disney decided to release it without reshoots. It was a very stupid decision to delay New Mutants in the first place, because they ended up not even doing the reshoots.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This would have probably done very well in its original release date (April 2018). The first trailer was very well received. It wouldn't have had the bad press from the constant delays. Maisie Williams would be getting attention for this by making headlines talking about the highly anticipated final season of Game of Thrones. And also the decision to delay it in order to do reshoots may have impacted the quality, as post production must have been paused, and resumed with less resources when Disney decided to release it without reshoots. It was a very stupid decision to delay New Mutants in the first place, because they ended up not even doing the reshoots.

And if pigs had wings they could fly........

I don't think the film would have done much better if it was the same film that got released.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

What a disaster. And the only thing worth mentioning here is how paid Fox jurnos/scoopers lied about test-screenings and reshoots, even though it was obvious to any sane person way back then this movie was in a horrible situation.

Exactly. Anybody who was not a hopless X Men franchise fanboy could easily see this had disaster written all over it . Good films do not spend over two years on the shelf, and are not written off as hopeless by two different major studios (Fox and Disney).

I love the one guy here who kept inisistng Disney was going spend tens of millions on reshoots, and use this film to bring the X men to the MCU....

11 hours ago, Firepower said:

What a disaster. And the only thing worth mentioning here is how paid Fox jurnos/scoopers lied about test-screenings and reshoots, even though it was obvious to any sane person way back then this movie was in a horrible situation.

Studios lying about positive test-screenings? Who could see that coming? I'm shook, shook I tell you. :shades:

On 8/12/2021 at 1:53 AM, Saul Goodman said:

Wow almost forgot this movie ever released. I find it funny how Fox-Men stans kept pushing the narrative that the movie was really good and Disney kept delaying because they were afraid it will hurt the eventual MCU reboot as it could never live up to this one. 🤣

The ability of fan boys to deny reality and be incredibly delusional never seems to  improve.