Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

3 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I just don’t get how the deal is good for anyone.

Here’s how it could be good for some people. Movie theaters have an exclusivity window for showing a movie. All of the major studios wanted to shrink the exclusivity window, except for Disney. That would effectively destroy movie theaters. Very few people are paying for something they can watch a few weeks later on cable. So, for movie theaters and people who enjoy going to movie theaters, Disney buying Fox creates a more powerful allie to save the exclusivity window.

Not everyone is a movie theater or someone who regularly goes to movie theaters. But for those few companies who are and those people who do, this is a good deal. Just an example of an impartial person who will get a benefit out of this.

Just now, Walt Disney said:

Here’s how it could be good for some people. Movie theaters have an exclusivity window for showing a movie. All of the major studios wanted to shrink the exclusivity window, except for Disney. That would effectively destroy movie theaters. Very few people are paying for something they can watch a few weeks later on cable. So, for movie theaters and people who enjoy going to movie theaters, Disney buying Fox creates a more powerful allie to save the exclusivity window.

Not everyone is a movie theater or someone who regularly goes to movie theaters. But for those few companies who are and those people who do, this is a good deal. Just an example of an impartial person who will get a benefit out of this.

Disney also strong-arms theaters and takes a larger % of revenue than any other studio. I'm sure theater owners are very happy with that! 

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Disney also strong-arms theaters and takes a larger % of revenue than any other studio. I'm sure theater owners are very happy with that! 

I am sure they are not. Although no one was complaining in the 80’s when Disney received less of a percentage of revenue from theater owners than other major studios. But now that the roles are reversed, people seem pretty angry about it. It cuts both ways.

Edited by Walt Disney

9 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Isn't Disney the same studio that threatens movie theaters to put their films in the biggest auditoriums on the biggest screens for a minimum of two weeks (sometimes three depending on the movie...make that FOUR weeks for TLJ) otherwise they won't distribute to them? And they also demand a bigger cut from theaters for their movies otherwise they also won't distribute to them? Doesn't sound like they actually care about theaters....

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I am sure they are not. Although no one was complaining in the 80’s when Disney received less of a percentage of revenue from theater owners than other major studios. But now that the roles are reversed, people seem pretty angry about it. It cuts both ways.

On their face, Walt Disney’s demands on theaters concerning next month’s domestic exhibition of Star Wars: The Last Jedi are not that unusual. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, cinemas accepting the Rian Johnson sequel when it opens on Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. will have to give Disney about 65% of the overall ticket sales and promise to keep the film in its biggest theater(s) for at least four weeks.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/02/star-wars-the-last-jedi-why-disney-is-pressuring-u-s-theaters/#121183d4604c

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

On their face, Walt Disney’s demands on theaters concerning next month’s domestic exhibition of Star Wars: The Last Jedi are not that unusual. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, cinemas accepting the Rian Johnson sequel when it opens on Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. will have to give Disney about 65% of the overall ticket sales and promise to keep the film in its biggest theater(s) for at least four weeks.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/02/star-wars-the-last-jedi-why-disney-is-pressuring-u-s-theaters/#121183d4604c

Yes, I read that when it was written. What’s your point?

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yes, 20th Century Fox took a hefty chunk of the pie back when Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was released back in 1999, and they too had contractual obligations guaranteeing play in the best auditoriums for as long as two months.

Not new or exlusive to Disney

6 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

This is such a weird deflection. How would it be good for movie theaters if, according to you, they're not happy with how Disney is treating them? What does this have to do with the 80's? What does that non-sequitur have to do with anything? Most people aren't studio fanboys, so if any studio was doing what Disney does they'd be angry about it. You can't do what aboutisms if there is no other side to the argument.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Isn't Disney the same studio that threatens movie theaters to put their films in the biggest auditoriums on the biggest screens for a minimum of two weeks (sometimes three depending on the movie...make that FOUR weeks for TLJ) otherwise they won't distribute to them? And they also demand a bigger cut from theaters for their movies otherwise they also won't distribute to them? Doesn't sound like they actually care about theaters....

My mistake, I missed this post when I commented on your other one. They don’t “care” about theaters, but without the exclusivity window, there will be no theaters. So by them not wanting to shrink the window, they are helping to save theaters as we know them. If you’re a theater, you want to stay in business.

As for commanding a larger percentage of the profits and making demands in the biggest theaters, they have every right. When they received less than other major studios, no one was complaining. It works both ways.

Lastly, theaters make most of their profits from selling food anyway, not from the actual movie. So let’s not cry too much for the poor theaters. Although if they lose their exclusivity window, then I’ll cry for them. That’s a serious threat to their business.

13 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Considering @DAJK works/worked at a theater and has many times told us about the strongarming techniques Disney has used to screw over theaters, and will likely increase due to the merger. It’d hurt the smaller theaters more even with the rise of streaming. Disney didn’t do this to avoid being bought out by Amazon or Netflix (in fact they tried to buy out the latter), they did this for market power and their streaming service. I’m not denying that fewer people go to the movies or the fact that Disney provides the consumers what they want (hell apart from the majority of the live action remakes, I like Disney’s movies)

Now Enough talk about this and more talk about New Mutants, we’ve all derailed the thread.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

This is such a weird deflection. How would it be good for movie theaters if, according to you, they're not happy with how Disney is treating them? What does this have to do with the 80's? What does that non-sequitur have to do with anything? Most people aren't studio fanboys, so if any studio was doing what Disney does they'd be angry about it. You can't do what aboutisms if there is no other side to the argument.

My point flew right over your head. Let me try it this way, Lucasfilm did similar tactics to theaters with the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy ( probably where Disney gor the idea for doing it with The Last Jedi, but I have no proof), and no one in the public cared. I am sure theaters didn’t like it, but they followed along. Disney isn’t doing anything new. It’s just new to you because you didn’t know stuff like this was lgoing on back in the day.

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Considering @DAJK works/worked at a theater and has many times told us about the strongarming techniques Disney has used to screw over theaters, and will likely increase due to the merger. It’d hurt the smaller theaters more even with the rise of streaming. Disney didn’t do this to avoid being bought out by Amazon or Netflix (in fact they tried to buy out the latter), they did this for market power and their streaming service. I’m not denying that fewer people go to the movies or the fact that Disney provides the consumers what they want (hell apart from the majority of the live action remakes, I like Disney’s movies)

Now Enough talk about this and more talk about New Mutants, we’ve all derailed the thread.

Just one point, since you’re right about the derailing of the thread. Disney didn’t try to buy Netflix. That was a rumor that certain analysts thought they should. Disney instead chose to compete with Netflix. But in order to compete, like you said, they felt they needed more market power.

22 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

When people say “diversity in cinema,” it tells me a lot about how closely people even follow cinema. There are more releases now than there have been in a very long time because of the rise in independent cinema. There is a huge amount of diversity out there. The box office is just dominated by a few blockbusters. So yes, there will be a few less blockbusters. But if you really care about “diversity in cinema” then this deal doesn’t change that at all. 

I was talking about the audience that their films are targeting.
Fox made many good movies for diverse audiences and since Disney family model is working great, I'm not sure they will risk doing something different, they need to recover the money invested in the Fox purchase.

Fox has made many small films, which Disney doesn't, only blockbusters. Disney releasing more blockbusters per year will affect the release of smaller movies because their films occupy much of the screens with absurd contractual obligations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember, the reason people are angry at Disney is not because of worker layoffs, movie-theater hamstringing, more homogenized content that hampers independent cinema. or the further consolidation of media ownership by one large conglomerate. It's because of petty personal preferences for one major studio over another.

I me am very smart.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 4

Just now, Litio said:

I was talking about the audience that their films are targeting.
Fox made many good movies for diverse audiences and since Disney family model is working great, I'm not sure they will risk doing something different, they need to recover the money invested in the Fox purchase.

Fox has made many small films, which Disney doesn't, only blockbusters. Disney releasing more blockbusters per year will affect the release of smaller movies because their films occupy much of the screens with absurd contractual obligations.

But think about what you’re saying. With Fox making less films, those are a few less blockbusters that smaller studios will compete with. They will see a benefit, even if it is only a small one. Disney also is keeping Fox Searchlight as is. So if those are the small movies you mean, those will stay as is.

If you are worried that Disney will now dominate awards shows because they will own Fox Searchlight, that is a legit complaint. But I don’t believe that is your complaint.

Just now, Walt Disney said:

Just one point, since you’re right about the derailing of the thread. Disney didn’t try to buy Netflix. That was a rumor that certain analysts thought they should. Disney instead chose to compete with Netflix. But in order to compete, like you said, they felt they needed more market power.

It wasn’t to compete with Netflix, Disney along with Warner Bros and Universal for that matter, would’ve likely been fine regardless, they did this to have a bigger imprint in the theatrical market space and to choke out other studio competition.

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes, 20th Century Fox took a hefty chunk of the pie back when Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was released back in 1999, and they too had contractual obligations guaranteeing play in the best auditoriums for as long as two months.

Not new or exlusive to Disney

Try something from this decade or at least from current century.

3 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Except that The New Mutants has a smallish budget, we don't have a number, but wouldn't be surprised at 70-80 M, 90 M tops. I doubt it will bomb. 

All of the reshoots and additional post production has to add to the budget. They are spending so much time and effort making this movie that the budget has to be steadily increasing.