Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I've said this before many times and I'll say it again: people angry about the merger can direct their feelings towards Fox, NOT Disney. Fox are the ones who threw in the towel and gave up. They sold out. Disney just pounced on the opportunity. Universal was in the mix too.

So I don't think people are necessarily defending Disney, they're just saying stop blindly yelling at big, bad, evil Disney.

I would say Comcast rather then Universal (Universal is owned by Comcast, and it was Comcast who was in the bidding for "Fox Studios) but otherwise you are dead on,

As much as I hate and despise Rupert Murdoch,, he had the perfect right to pull out of the movie business if he felt it was going nowhere for Newhouse.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I would say Comcast rather then Universal (Universal is owned by Comcast, and it was Comcast who was in the bidding for "Fox Studios) but otherwise you are dead on,

As much as I hate and despise Rupert Murdoch,, he had the perfect right to pull out of the movie business if he felt it was going nowhere for Newhouse.

Right, my bad.

I agree with the 2nd part of your post too. I mean, I'm not advocating to get mad at anyone here. This is just business after all. I just have a problem with people acting as if this was a hostile takeover by Disney. That may not be what anyone is saying but it's kind of implied.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Right, my bad.

I agree with the 2nd part of your post too. I mean, I'm not advocating to get mad at anyone here. This is just business after all. I just have a problem with people acting as if this was a hostile takeover by Disney. That may not be what anyone is saying but it's kind of implied.

People forget it was the Newhouse company that approached Disney  and a couple of othere studios, apparently, , not the other way around.

• Like 1

I am so glad they finally killed this. :)

This misconception of a movie shouldn't have existed at all (on the big screen).

Also, THREE terrible Marvel movies in one year would have been too much: Captain Marvel, this here and that last half-dead Xmen Phoenix*.

* though at least I like the visuals in its new trailer, so will check it out

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

On 3/5/2019 at 8:09 PM, shayhiri said:

I am so glad they finally killed this. :)

This misconception of a movie shouldn't have existed at all (on the big screen).

Also, THREE terrible Marvel movies in one year would have been too much: Captain Marvel, this here and that last half-dead Xmen Phoenix*.

* though at least I like the visuals in its new trailer, so will check it out

Nice to see that besides spouting utter garbage on a regular basis, you also read the future. Clearly, you know that the film is terrible because you have seen it or because you have a window into the future and have already seen the bad reviews, correct?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Do you guys genuinely think that this be eventually released, even if just on DVD or streaming or whatnot? Of all the upcoming superhero films, this was the one that I was anticipating the most. Saddens me that we might never see the result...

I think this project had great potential, but it seems to have been totally screwed up in the making.

Telemachos said it best:that sometime on a film, despite good intentions, things just go to hell and you end up with a total mess. I supect this is what happened here.

I think we will see some version of it, but not in a theater. I doubt the Mouse, will want to spend a dime on reshoots for what seems to be a doomed project.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Nice to see that besides spouting utter garbage on a regular basis, you also read the future. Clearly, you know that the film is terrible because you have seen it or because you have a window into the future and have already seen the bad reviews, correct?

I think the massive problems this film is having does not give one much hope.

2 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Do you guys genuinely think that this be eventually released, even if just on DVD or streaming or whatnot? Of all the upcoming superhero films, this was the one that I was anticipating the most. Saddens me that we might never see the result...

has a big budget film ever been filmed and not released? come on...

4 minutes ago, Litio said:

Disney spent $70bi+ buying Fox. They need every penny to recoveir the money. NM will be released.

It probably will, but Disney will get money by selling the stations,... the varying governments of all the countries they needed approval of. Don't count on them feeling the need for one single movie that seems to be a bad one / need re-shots....

Disney's original offer was $52.4bn, Comcast bid, during a time the negotiations were already quite deep / in motion, $65bn, what caused Disney to raise its bit to $71b.

The originally unplanned diff of $18.6b might be counter-balanced by local sales (US sales), sales in Mexico, Brazil, India, China, Europe, UK some extra,... all of which had sale this-and-that conditions.

I think they calculated certain sales beforehand, but am not sure how far.

Their focus will be get the steaming services running, work at Hulu details, collect the movie TV rights back (like check contracts, do the official re-signing,....) all over the world, merge teams where needed,... look for to the departments keep running, ...

They have to calculate how much material like TV-serries of genre this and that, which audience groups (gender ages,....) might want what, to evaluate more in depth (similar the little bad surprises that you might find after a house buy, even if an expert looked over it) which departments' personal, which buildings, which other potentially impacting future projects need a refresh, to be closed down (btw some of the regional sports TV stations might be a write off, as in unsellable to conditions it wont hurt them in the long run each of those sale tries... more expensive or important)

All examples and more points in question are high $ impact points, a seemingly poorly made movie will be very very very low on their to do list.

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

They can't can it, I'm sure it's in the contracts that it has to be released. 

Those kind of contracts that guarantee a theatrical release are only usually generated when a bigger studio/distributor picks up an "indie" film or project and puts into agreement that they will birth a theatrical release...and even then...there are always "outs."  And besides, FOX owns all the properties being adapted, here...so they can do what they want with it...and now that the deal is closing and we still have no further confirmation of a release or promotional materials... it's also likely that Disney will influence the decision of burying it, too...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

This will probably end up being a dumped release tbh. I'll be impressed if it makes anything higher than Fantastic Four '15, and even that might be generous.

That is what I suspect. Disney will release it as is,not spend a lot on reshoots.

I think you have a lot of wishful thinking in this thread;that the film has basically sat on the shelves  for nearly a year is not a good sign.  Most likely scenario is there was a massive fight between those who wanted a R rated film as originally envisioned, and those who wanted to "soften" it to appeal to a larger audience, and no one won.

I understand loving the source material, but I have seen some really bad movies made from really great source material.

• Sad 2