Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

18 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not new or exlusive to Disney

The implication was that other studios don’t care about theaters and Disney cares about movie theaters because they wanted to keep the exclusivity window the same. I was merely pointing out that they don’t care about theaters the way that user thinks they do. If Fox, or any studio for that matter, was doing this my response would be the same thing. I get it though. It’s all about $$$ which is what studios and theaters are in the business for. But let’s not act like Disney (or any studio) actually cares about the theaters. If they could they’d be opening up their own theaters around the country and playing their movies there and no where else. 

6 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

But think about what you’re saying. With Fox making less films, those are a few less blockbusters that smaller studios will compete with. They will see a benefit, even if it is only a small one. Disney also is keeping Fox Searchlight as is. So if those are the small movies you mean, those will stay as is.

If you are worried that Disney will now dominate awards shows because they will own Fox Searchlight, that is a legit complaint. But I don’t believe that is your complaint.

Disney has spent 71bi on Fox. They will not leave the Fox blockbusters franchises alone. They will increase the number of movie releases per year.

They are not worried about awards. If Searchlight doesn't make the profit they want, it will not be long until they sell it as they did with Miramax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It wasn’t to compete with Netflix, Disney along with Warner Bros and Universal for that matter, would’ve likely been fine regardless, they did this to have a bigger imprint in the theatrical market space and to choke out other studio competition.

It was all about Netflix. There are articles that have explained this better than me, which I have posted in other threads, so I will try to be brief. Disney and other major studios make a large profit from the cable bundle. They own cable stations, which they sell access to distributors for a fee. Netflix came along and they all sold their shows to Netflix too. Disney being one of the stupidest by signing a deal for their first run movies to be shown exclusively on Netflix.

So what happened is Netflix gained clout. They received so many subscribers that people began cancelling their cable service. This cord cutting began to hurt the bundle, which Disney and Warmer and Universal made huge profits from. So Netflix turned from an ally into a competitor.

Cable distributors Comcast and AT&T bought Universal and Warner Bros., respectively. Disney came up with a plan of making a streaming service to compete. This way they can have a direct connection to consumers with no middle man distributor ( Comcast and AT&T are middleman distributors so they have this relationship already). However, Disney needs content for streaming and their library isnt massive.

This is where Fox comes in. They have a massive library of TV and movies. That library gives Disney the content it thinks it needs to compete with Netflix. This deal is all about Netflix and has very little to do with theatrical movies.

The last thing you may ask is why not just buy the Fox library and leave the movie studio alone. My response is that if you gut the library, the movie studio will be destroyed. That’s what Ted Turner did to MGM and they aren’t a major studio anymore. As for Rupert Murdoch, he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to sell while Fox was at its peak value. In a few years, it would be worth much less than Disney is paying for it now.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Litio said:

Disney has spent 71bi on Fox. They will not leave the Fox blockbusters franchises alone. They will increase the number of movie releases per year.

They are not worried about awards. If Searchlight doesn't make the profit they want, it will not be long until they sell it as they did with Miramax.

They won’t increase them enough to equal what Disney and Fox release combined right now. It will lessen some, even if you and I disagree about how much.

Disney sold Miramax because Harvey Weinstein did some sneaky tactics that ended up costing Disney money because of his deal with Disney. Once he was ousted, they didn’t know what to do with Miramax and sold it. Searchlight won’t have those issues. And you’re right, it isn’t there for awards, but also not for profit. It’s there to have prestige films that end up on Disney+. 

• Like 2

This has become the Tulip Fever of comic book movies where every time I see its name brought up I'm like "oh yeah, this exists and still hasn't been released yet." All it needs is for Fox to release a statement saying it's a great movie because Anya Taylor-Joy's mother says so to seal the deal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

This has become the Tulip Fever of comic book movies where every time I see its name brought up I'm like "oh yeah, this exists and still hasn't been released yet." All it needs is for Fox to release a statement saying it's a great movie because Anya Taylor-Joy's mother says so to seal the deal.

The fact that Boone is still attached to Stephen King's The Stand after this all-but-guaranteed debacle is so weird. Granted it's no longer a two-part big budget movie, but a TV show on... CBS all access 😕 

We'll see how Twilight Zone goes, but Star Trek Discovery was... less than stellar 

Goes to show that if Josh Trank wasn't such a mess on set/tweeting out things against his own movie that he'd still be attached to projects post-Fant4stic.

• Disbelief 1

lol at people discovering capitalism.

That s very cute tho.

Implying Disney is somewhat immoral or something  but its competitors are naive & pure virgins at the prom.

Suuuure.

And Netflix is not a predator that is swallowing everything in its path like all the other GAFAm and giant tech companies before them.

Edited by The Futurist

In regards to the rumors of New Mutants heading to Hulu, Shuler Donner, who yielded production oversee of the project to Simon Kinberg, says that she’s “hopeful” that the teen-horror pic will receive a theatrical release. The pic is currently scheduled to hit theaters on Aug. 2. “They worked hard on it,” said Shuler Donner about the film’s production team, “I want to see it released (theatrically), I’d hate to see it thrown at Hulu.”

Whether New Mutants goes straight to Hulu or not; we’ve heard that those hard decisions will be made once Fox is completely in the Disney fold. As of right now, the pic is scheduled to be released theatrically.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/new-mutants-hulu-gambit-x-men-disney-fox-merger-legion-lauren-shuler-donner-1202549615/

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

any chance they just strip the X-men references and just give this a new title?

That's what one of the many, many rumors already is... same title, perhaps, but stripped of any/all X-Men references within...

Edited by Macleod

36 minutes ago, Macleod said:

In regards to the rumors of New Mutants heading to Hulu, Shuler Donner, who yielded production oversee of the project to Simon Kinberg, says that she’s “hopeful” that the teen-horror pic will receive a theatrical release. The pic is currently scheduled to hit theaters on Aug. 2. “They worked hard on it,” said Shuler Donner about the film’s production team, “I want to see it released (theatrically), I’d hate to see it thrown at Hulu.”

Whether New Mutants goes straight to Hulu or not; we’ve heard that those hard decisions will be made once Fox is completely in the Disney fold. As of right now, the pic is scheduled to be released theatrically.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/new-mutants-hulu-gambit-x-men-disney-fox-merger-legion-lauren-shuler-donner-1202549615/

Even if it goes to theaters I doubt we'll see it open on August 3rd unless it wants to die against Hobbs & Shaw.

WHAT HAPPENING WITH NEW MUTANTS? It's easy to forget, but, Dark Phoenix is not technically Fox's last X-Men movie. The studio has director Josh Boone's New Mutants dated for Aug. 2. The film was supposed to open in April 2018 ... and then it was pushed to February 2019, only to be pushed back again to August. Will it ever see the light of day under the Disney regime? (Likely yes.) Will it make it to theatres? (Umm...) Well, will it at least make it to Disney+ (Sounds like a safe bet.) But it still has reshoots to do, right? (None planned so far but things seem to be in the hands of Boone, say sources.)

https://link.hollywoodreporter.com/view/518d565b191b2a646dbe685c9mfpp.bp7/5d5a47a5