Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

19 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I just don’t get how the deal is good for anyone.

It's good for all the folks who are going to get more content when they subscribe to Disney+

And it's probably good for Disney shareholders.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that people will ignore all that just because it means more funnybook movies, 

Doesn't this mean LESS funnybook movies?

Since instead of Fox + MCU, now it's just MCU. I don't think anyone is assuming that Disney/Feige/MCU is going to all of a sudden put out 6 movies a year instead of 3. We're likely losing Multiple Man, Doctor Doom, Kitty Pride, New Mutants 2, Gambit, and a ton of other movies that will never see the lights of day now.

So, this deal means fewer movies.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kitik said:

It's good for all the folks who are going to get more content when they subscribe to Disney+

And it's probably good for Disney shareholders.

It's very good for Rupert Murdoch, so I guess some people on this forum are just very big Rupert Murdoch fans ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, noname said:

@TMP Their is still A24, Amazon Studios, STX, Lionsgate, Universal, Paramount, Sony, Warner Brothers, and even Netflix out there.

Very true. Forgetting a few. I mean, some of those aren't big studios but still. Neon, Annapurna (although they're in big trouble), and others I can't conjure up right now :D

30 minutes ago, kitik said:

We're likely losing Multiple Man, Doctor Doom, Kitty Pride, New Mutants 2, Gambit, and a ton of other movies that will never see the lights of day now.

Big deal, Doctor Doom was the only one with potential there and that’s because of the writer involved. Who knows, it could still be made under Marvel/Disney since he’s a popular Marvel character.

2 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

It was unlikely to happen at all. Once this movie bombed, that would be the end of any sequel. Disney didn't ruin this movie.

Except that The New Mutants has a smallish budget, we don't have a number, but wouldn't be surprised at 70-80 M, 90 M tops. I doubt it will bomb. 

3 hours ago, Nova said:

I could care less about corporate monopolies. I love CBM. And I’m excited to see all the Marvel characters under one studio. I just wish it didn’t mean that thousands of people were going to lose their jobs and that a whole studio would be more or less shut down for it to happen. 

Also to add, Disney as a company sucks balls. I know one cannot expect huge global corporations to actually care for their customers, especially for those who live in small markets like I do, but I think Disney's the most money-hungry of them all. Just an example of that: DVDs and Blu-Rays aren't really huge here in Croatia, most people pirate stuff because buying physical discs is quite expensive here. In 2013, Disney stopped selling their movies here, both DVDs and Blu-Rays, as they thought there's no point in being present in such a small region. Other studios almost did the same, our two distributors backed out of the business, so it seemed like physical home media was dead for good. However, a new distributor showed up which managed to make deals with all the major studios, so now you can get every major Hollywood release on home media, except for the Disney ones, as the company still didn't want to make a deal, since they would probably lose hundreds of dollars on some of their lower-selling films. I remind you, this is a company that's spending 71 billion dollars on a single acquisition of a rival. So, most of their movies are not sold in our stores, except for the really popular ones, like TFA, which only saw a DVD release, as did Frozen, BaTB (2017) and Tangled. If you're a Blu-Ray collector and a fan of Disney, well, tough luck, you have to buy the movie from Amazon or some other source, and you don't get Croatian subtitles. It really shows how little they care for their customers, I go to the cinema for every MCU release, and that's quite a drag as I have to drive for 45 minutes, but they don't want to bother with printing a couple of Blu-Rays for their fans here. So, as much as I'm happy that we'll get FF and X-Men in the MCU, Disney can go f*** itself! 

Sorry for the off-topic, LOL...

Edited by Titan Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TMP said:

The 10,000 soon-to-be-unemployed workers? The fact that a tighter oligopoly, with even more power given to the company with the most homogenised content, means that we'll get less risky, interesting films out each year? The fact that Disney just fired one of their biggest directors on the commands of an actual Nazi? The fact that spawn of satan Rupert Murdoch & his kids are getting billions of dollars from this deal?

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that people will ignore all that just because it means more funnybook movies, especially considering we have fanboys with the the usernames of faceless, soulless corporations. 

Yeah, that wouldn't have happened if COMCAST bought them.  WB wasn't bought by another studio and they're still looking at thousands of layoffs.  Then again they were laying off people by the thousands even before they were bought.  Paramount is currently restructuring and laying people off.

Fox was SELLING.  This wasn't a hostile takeover.  The Murdochs were going to get their money anyhow.   Comcast bidding against Disney just raised that amount.   They made billions owning Fox and they've always been evil but I guess that was OK as long as they were in charge and not selling....

Gunn was fired for shit he said.  It just happened to be unearthed by scum.  He was fired by Alan Horn who ran WB through one of it's most profitable eras and if he was still the president of WB then WB wouldn't have hired him.

This purchase probably means fewer funny book movies with less room on the schedule so that should at least make you happy.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TMP said:

The 10,000 soon-to-be-unemployed workers? The fact that a tighter oligopoly, with even more power given to the company with the most homogenised content, means that we'll get less risky, interesting films out each year? The fact that Disney just fired one of their biggest directors on the commands of an actual Nazi? The fact that spawn of satan Rupert Murdoch & his kids are getting billions of dollars from this deal?

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that people will ignore all that just because it means more funnybook movies, especially considering we have fanboys with the the usernames of faceless, soulless corporations. 

So basically, to sum it up, you hate Disney and you hate Fox’s owner, so the two together is terrible for you personally. 

2 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

So basically, to sum it up, you hate Disney and you hate Fox’s owner, so the two together is terrible for you personally. 

What a way to completely miss the point of the post.

It could have been any company buying Fox, and it would still be terrible. An acquisition of this size is not good at all. I know you're celebrating because your favourite faceless, soulless conglomerate is now stronger than other faceless, soulless conglomerates, but the issues are much bigger than that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Litio said:

For the people who will be fired? For the diversity of films in cinema?

Any movie buff, who loves the seventh art, is concerned about this merger.
Let me guess... do you only watch blockbusters in the movie theater?

When people say “diversity in cinema,” it tells me a lot about how closely people even follow cinema. There are more releases now than there have been in a very long time because of the rise in independent cinema. There is a huge amount of diversity out there. The box office is just dominated by a few blockbusters. So yes, there will be a few less blockbusters. But if you really care about “diversity in cinema” then this deal doesn’t change that at all. 

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

What a way to completely miss the point of the post.

It could have been any company buying Fox, and it would still be terrible. An acquisition of this size is not good at all. I know you're celebrating because your favourite faceless, soulless conglomerate is now stronger than other faceless, soulless conglomerates, but the issues are much bigger than that.

Actually, the issue is pretty simple. Murdoch wanted to sell before Fox went the way of MGM. All of those employees would lose their jobs anyway. The real enemy is Netflix and how it is changing the industry. Your reaction to it is basically just a hate filled rant against Disney and Murdoch. 

3 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Actually, the issue is pretty simple. Murdoch wanted to sell before Fox went the way of MGM. All of those employees would lose their jobs anyway. The real enemy is Netflix and how it is changing the industry. Your reaction to it is basically just a hate filled rant against Disney and Murdoch. 

Maybe I shouldn't have expected a nuanced discussion on this topic with a dude who chose the username "Walt Disney".

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1