Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

15 minutes ago, TLK said:

There are legit reasons why the movie has been delayed so much. First delay was for the reshoots and all the subsequent delays have been to accommodate the Disney/Fox merger. The movie obviously still needs reshoots but I don't think the situation is as dire as it may seem.  

the reshoots never happened apparently

3 minutes ago, TLK said:

There are legit reasons why the movie has been delayed so much. First delay was for the reshoots and all the subsequent delays have been to accommodate the Disney/Fox merger. The movie obviously still needs reshoots but I don't think the situation is as dire as it may seem.  

There's also the fact that the schedule is crowded as hell from August onward.  I'm counting any tentpoles and horror films as competition:

-Was already facing Hobbs and Shaw on its current date

-IT: Chapter 2 in the beginning of September, Blumhouse horror at the end of September

-Joker, Gemini Man, Maleficent 2, Zombieland 2, The Hunt in October

-Doctor Sleep, Terminator, Frozen 2, Knives Out in November

-Some indie film called Star Wars in December.  Also Jumanji, and another Blumhouse film

-Grudge, Blumhouse, Bad Boys 4, Run, The Turning in January

-Birds of Prey, Kingsman, Bloodshot, Fantasy Island in February

-Godzilla vs. Kong, Blumhouse, Mulan in March

April was probably the earliest they could've moved it.  Even then that's not perfect since it still has Bond 25/Escape Room 2, but every other month is already overcrowded enough as is.

15 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

What was the last good movie that saw it's release date pushed back over two years? Anyone know?

No clue, but I think you just compared New Mutants to Avatar 2.

Edited by kitik
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

What was the last good movie that saw it's release date pushed back over two years? Anyone know?

Margaret.  Obviously a completely different movie than New Mutants but hey

Edited by That One Guy

59 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

When was Alpha originally slated for release? That ended up being a pretty decent movie that I enjoyed.

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

This film has no way to be one of MCU works. Marvel Studios have no reason to give those X-Men producers the credits of MCU. 

You are right.... MCU don't have the balls yet to do horror comic book films

• Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 2

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

This film has no way to be one of MCU works. Marvel Studios have no reason to give those X-Men producers the credits of MCU. 

This was posted yesterday by the New Mutants Updates Twitter account, the person supposedly knows someone at Fox. It's been really the only source on Twitter for "news" on the film. Rumors obviously but some of it gels with what Jeff Sneider wrote last year on The Tracking Board:

We just talked with someone who worked in the movie and got some informations for what’s to come with the new reshoots plans later this year.

• 75% of the movie is being reshot.
  • Josh Boone is back directing and a early version of Knate Lee script is being used.
  • Horror elements are still a part of the movie.
  • New characters include: X-23, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Cypher and a brand new villain.
  • The budget will be bigger with more action and everything intensified.
  • Reshoots are planned for later this year (most likely this fall).
  • Demon Bear will be a lot more in the movie.

https://newmutantsup.tumblr.com/post/184720321056/exclusive-everything-about-the-new-reshoots

I hope all of this is true. But reading between the lines with the new release date, regardless of actual contracts (Sneider also said new contracts would have to be made if the film went to streaming (no longer an option ), it seems clear to me that Disney is going to have Boone do reshoots. He's on The Stand right now but I'm guessing he'll be done by the end of the year, paving the way for reshoots.

Disney could have dumped this, they're not doing so, so, I guess that means they might ACTUALLY be thinking that they can take this first entry and have it either tie into the MCU or might want to make more films. I mean, think about it. There's no foundation so to speak, this is the very first New Mutants film, we know from Jeff Sneider (if you believe the rumors) that the film was rewritten and Boone was asked to deliver a YA PG 13 version of TNM, not what he wanted to do at first. The reshoots were indeed supposedly to add more scares, essentially telling Boone he could now make the film he wanted to make from the start. 

If this rumor from New Mutants Updates is to be believed, the early draft being used would be the film Boone was supposed to make. Apparently, the film only cost 45M, which would make the idea of reshooting two thirds of the film believable, if Disney sees potential and can make it future and MCU proof.

This is a lot to digest but this delay is a great thing and if this can lead to more New Mutants down the road and a better film, then all the better for it. With the Multiverse idea, they can easily tie in films with a different vibe. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

This movie is the Duke Nukem Forever of comic book films.

No, Gambit is the Duke Nukem Forever of comic book films. It’s been kicking around the release schedule for at least five years, went through three different directors without a frame being shot, and only now seems to have been put down.

Then again, for the Duke Nukem Forever comparison to actually work post-2011, you actually have to have a release eventually. So maybe I’m wrong. TNM is more likely to be released, in which case it will be the Duke Nukem Forever of CBMs. Gambit won’t, so it will be the Starcraft: Ghost of CBMs - publicly in development for years but never finished.

Edited by TServo2049

3 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

No, Gambit is the Duke Nukem Forever of comic book films. It’s been kicking around the release schedule for at least five years, went through three different directors without a frame being shot, and only now seems to have been put down.

What about the 90s version of Fantastic 4? It was made but never officially released

20 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

This was posted yesterday by the New Mutants Updates Twitter account, the person supposedly knows someone at Fox. It's been really the only source on Twitter for "news" on the film. Rumors obviously but some of it gels with what Jeff Sneider wrote last year on The Tracking Board:

We just talked with someone who worked in the movie and got some informations for what’s to come with the new reshoots plans later this year.

• 75% of the movie is being reshot.
  • Josh Boone is back directing and a early version of Knate Lee script is being used.
  • Horror elements are still a part of the movie.
  • New characters include: X-23, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Cypher and a brand new villain.
  • The budget will be bigger with more action and everything intensified.
  • Reshoots are planned for later this year (most likely this fall).
  • Demon Bear will be a lot more in the movie.

https://newmutantsup.tumblr.com/post/184720321056/exclusive-everything-about-the-new-reshoots

I hope all of this is true. But reading between the lines with the new release date, regardless of actual contracts (Sneider also said new contracts would have to be made if the film went to streaming (no longer an option ), it seems clear to me that Disney is going to have Boone do reshoots. He's on The Stand right now but I'm guessing he'll be done by the end of the year, paving the way for reshoots.

Disney could have dumped this, they're not doing so, so, I guess that means they might ACTUALLY be thinking that they can take this first entry and have it either tie into the MCU or might want to make more films. I mean, think about it. There's no foundation so to speak, this is the very first New Mutants film, we know from Jeff Sneider (if you believe the rumors) that the film was rewritten and Boone was asked to deliver a YA PG 13 version of TNM, not what he wanted to do at first. The reshoots were indeed supposedly to add more scares, essentially telling Boone he could now make the film he wanted to make from the start. 

If this rumor from New Mutants Updates is to be believed, the early draft being used would be the film Boone was supposed to make. Apparently, the film only cost 45M, which would make the idea of reshooting two thirds of the film believable, if Disney sees potential and can make it future and MCU proof.

This is a lot to digest but this delay is a great thing and if this can lead to more New Mutants down the road and a better film, then all the better for it. With the Multiverse idea, they can easily tie in films with a different vibe. 

I don't know why Marvel Studios & Disney would still let it exist because they probably don't wanna see a split situation for Marvel films. But Kevin Feige already finished the planning for the next few years of MCU long time ago. They seldom changed their initial route. The only exception is Spider-Man came back if I'm right. Even if they owns X-Men now, these popular characters will not come to big screens soon according to the previous report from THR. I don't think they would change their entire planning for a troubled project beyond the control of Marvel Studios itself. 

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

What about the 90s version of Fantastic 4? It was made but never officially released

If The New Mutants is Duke Nukem Forever, and Gambit is Starcraft Ghost, then I suppose Fantastic Four is StarFox 2. Finished, but shelved anyway.

Edited by TServo2049

30 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Balls can't bring $20 billion to MCU but wise can. It's pity that Fox don't figure it out.

Again you are right..Endless, lazy, play it safe, skybeam, funny book films will bring in the big bucks for sure.....

• Thanks 2