Noctis

Avengers: $18.7m!

Here's what this needs to do to match my prediction18.7M Midnight56.3M Friday58.2M Saturday (+3.5%)42.2M Sunday (-27.5%)175.4M OWAt this point though, I feel like it'll go higher

What's wrong with it? From SM1 to DMC to SM3 to TDK, the opening revenue record used to translate into opening admissions records. Potter 8 broke that trend and now it looks like that will become the norm going forward.

Did I say it's wrong?I'm just saying why dont we just wait till TA actually breaks the records and we get its 3D share percentage, then we will actually HAVE SOMETHING to discuss.

Did I say it's wrong?I'm just saying why dont we just wait till TA actually breaks the records and we get its 3D share percentage, then we will actually HAVE SOMETHING to discuss.

Heh, fair enough. I would be very surprised if it doesn't break the record, and I will also be surprised if it doesn't have a higher 3D percentage than Potter.

• Founder / Operator

It's going to be in the low 40% range IMO. 3D seemed pretty unpopular during the midnights much like DH2.

I agree about the midnight comparison, but over the course of the weekend I expect the 3D share will improve. Kids are the driving force behind the format and they're going to be a huge part of the audience after midnights.

Didn't Disney specifically release it so there weren't many 2D options?

Yes, Rallax reported this the other day for his theater. Said they were given instructions on the number of shows for 2D they were allowed to have. This is where we will see the studios start moving in the future for big openings. To up the ante over the previous record holder, you simply demand more 3D showings.

• Founder / Operator

Didn't Disney specifically release it so there weren't many 2D options?

To an extent, but it still has about 1,000 more 2D locations than 3D locations. I'm also seeing more 2D options around here for this than a lot of other recent 3D movies have given, which surprised me.Now if only we could get exhibitors to stop wasting all of the showtimes for their biggest and best screens exclusively on 3D... :( Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

Yes, Rallax reported this the other day for his theater. Said they were given instructions on the number of shows for 2D they were allowed to have. This is where we will see the studios start moving in the future for big openings. To up the ante over the previous record holder, you simply demand more 3D showings.

They can demand all they want, it'll just put us back where we were in 2010 and audiences will balk at it. The only clout those demands can carry is generally with films that appeal to very young audiences because they're the main ones supporting the format anymore.

I agree about the midnight comparison, but over the course of the weekend I expect the 3D share will improve. Kids are the driving force behind the format and they're going to be a huge part of the audience after midnights.

Agree :)

But a movie has to be good or at least popular to warrant that kind of dedication.and if a movie motivates more people to pay higher premiums the records it breaks are fair game. Not just any movie can achieve that with higher prices.

What if people have no other choice other than 3D. Several times, I've gone to watch a film and had no choice but to purchase a 3D ticket because 2D shows were not at all convenient or had one or two shows. I don't think it's necessarily a matter of dedication for a large number of people. I think it's a matter of convenience. So I'm not sure I buy that it's all fair game. Same goes for any other 3D movie that "forces" itself on the consumer. Edited by Letsuseournoggin