Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

It is only 1:12PM on the West Coast. If Nikki isn't full of shit, this is most likely an extrapolation based on the early estimates of East Coast matinees. It means nothing.

Edited by spizzer

I'm loving this Friday number. I'm really loving it, because it makes perfect sense. There is just not enough sellouts to make 70M+ Friday possible.

We've already explained why you cannot use sellouts to gauge for this

I'm loving this Friday number. I'm really loving it, because it makes perfect sense. There is just not enough sellouts to make 70M+ Friday possible.

not all films need gigantic sellouts to do record business. For the past 2-3 years, we haven't really seen any films that could do monster up-front business without sellouts. Hell, the last one was probably TF2. Since then, the big openers have been teen-fanbase-driven films like the Potters and Twilights, and so, we've gotten accustomed to expecting record sellouts every 6 months.

This is not the case with Avengers

It doesn't need sellouts to break records Edited by spizzer

We've already explained why you cannot use sellouts to gauge for this

The lack of Friday sellouts by mid-Friday indicates (comparative) lack of demand. You can't spin it any other way. ;)

Well what's weird is that it didn't look like it had enough sell outs to come close to THG midnight numbers but it did anyway.Truth is, it's just way too early to gauge where this is headed. Matinees just began in my neck of the woods.