Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

If Marvel Studios got Spider-Man back, the world would explode. I'd rather see them get Fantastic Four back, since those have gotten the shaft in terms of movies. At least with X-Men, First Class was good. And with Spider-Man, the first two were good. Both Fantasic Four movies sucked.

WOW....200.3M!!!!!! That's just mind boggling. Atleast Potter retained the midnight and OD record....by quite a large margin too. Is Avengers the first film in history to take the OW record but fail to take the OD record? It's certainly the first in a very long time if it's not.....

Yah, it's called Potter had super frontloaded midnights.

They have the capital to make a profit on this deal no ? now. Bob Iger has Disney in great hands moving forward

In the Long run that $4 billion deal will be hugely profitable, investment banks had a report I think late last year that they'd be in the black on the deal within 36-40 months. And turn a 100% profit on the deal within 60-70 months. Probably quicker now with the huge success of TA, sure to drive up merchandising, and other sales, and revenues. And I agree, Bob Iger has really put Disney in a great position. Shame he's retiring.

JLA is not doomed because of GL. Hulk flopped for Marvel. I would say the pressure is on Superman to perform well, if that disappoints JLA probably won't happen until a Flash or Aquaman film breaks out.

Hulk wasn't a flop, it just wasn't a success. GL was more than a flop, it was an embarassment on all levels. There was truly nothing good about it.But regardless of the Hulk's solo success, sticking him in a movie with other heroes is a whole 'nother ballgame. Any idiot could have foreseen that he could be a hit in Avengers.

But realistically speaking I can see Sony selling of Spidey for ~750M with a 150M swing either way.

No, they would look at it long term. How much is this character worth in movies over the next 30 years? It's a lot more than $750m. Edited by redfirebird2008

[

Too bad it won't happenI would love to see Cameron's face that he no longer has the highest grossing film.

I don`t see why it isn`t doable. It`s going to cross $300 mio next week and legs should be great. Edited by fishnets

Disney paid $4 billion for Marvel. Spidey is worth a lot more than $500m.

HA! OK, I was waaaay off. Either way, Sony would be able to demand a ton of cash for that single character. So I doubt that Disney would pony up for it.

No, they would look at it long term. How much is this character worth in movies and merchandising over the next 30 years? It's a lot more than $750m.

Yes, but Disney already makes merchandising money off of Spider-Man. The only thing they don't have are the film rights.

Going by track record, it's unlikely to be a turkey, is it?I'm very confident it'll be as good as the LOTR movies.

PJ doesn't have a flawless track record.Given how non-epic The Hobbit (book) is in comparison to LOTR, he might try too hard to make it look epic, and screw something up in the process.

Sony only owns the film rights to Spider-Man. Disney still gets all the money from Spider-Man merchandising. Paying a big sum for Spider-Man film rights doesn't make that much sense when they are capitalizing off of all the merchandise already.

I had no idea it was only film rights, but those are still worth in the nieghbourhood of 500M at least, the films are still very profitable.

Amazing Spider-Man needs to tank really badly (like under 500M WW), for Sony to even considerer selling the Spider-Man rights.

Sony probably won't sell, but the financially smart decision would be to sell the rights, and let someone else handle it, if the film barely breaks even. And reception is terrible, which for some reason I'm feeling it will be. Trailer wise however they've been very well received at my theatre.

In terms of quality TIH was amazing. By far the best Marvel film, better than I'm and TA in my book. I'm sure WB exec aren't having a sleepless night after this, they are rather looking forward to the success TDKR will bring, however I can foresee major headaches in the Sony HQ lol

If Marvel Studios got Spider-Man back, the world would explode. I'd rather see them get Fantastic Four back, since those have gotten the shaft in terms of movies. At least with X-Men, First Class was good. And with Spider-Man, the first two were good. Both Fantasic Four movies sucked.

Can you imagine the WW numbers. :drool:

PJ doesn't have a flawless track record.Given how non-epic The Hobbit (book) is in comparison to LOTR, he might try too hard to make it look epic, and screw something up in the process.

Do you remember how long the battle of Helms Deep was in the book?

Epic number..Hopefully it can hold over 200M with the actuals.

It's not even 12pm here in California, it's definitely going over $200m. I'm gonna see it today with my girl, and a few of my friends are gonna see it also.I can't wait for this movie! :D

Too bad it won't happenI would love to see Cameron's face that he no longer has the highest grossing film.

He would though worldwide and probably by well over 1.5 billion, people need to remember that there is a whole world outside of the US. :)

In terms of quality TIH was amazing. By far the best Marvel film, better than I'm and TA in my book.

Really? I watched it again to get ready for The Avengers and I think I kind of hate it now. The simple fact that they didn't understand how the Hulk worked was mind-boggling.

Iger is retiring? Man that sucks for a company that was almost in shambles under his predecessor

Yup, retiring as CEO in 2015, which is only 3 years down the road. Disney better start looking for a good successor. He'll only be chairman after that date.

Either way it's worth a lot more than $750m just for the movies over the next 30+ years.

They way spidey is going, it may not be. If the next few movies suck WOM wise like SM3 did, the film franchise is gonna commit suicide.

I can't wait until we start hearing about what characters they'll add for the next one. Ant Man? Wasp? Ms. Marvel? Scarlet Witch? It's gonna be fun.And speaking of JLA, I wonder which execs are kicking themselves now for not letting Whedon take a shot at Wonder Woman.