Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

It still boggles my mind how Avatar made so much. I get it was an "event" and all, but the movie itself was just so...lame.

I seriously doubt Avatar 2's take comes all that close to the original.

The film had 10x legs, unheared of in this day and age, people loved the film and you are in the minority.

Just all the irrational hate towards Cameron and AVATAR by TDK/Nolan fans since the film came out. It passed TDK, people need to let go.

But that has nothing to do with me laughing at Avengers making $750m. It's $750m for an Avengers movie for goodness sake. No one thought that was possible. If it happens, I'll laugh because it's an absurd achievement. I laughed when Avatar made what it did and TDK made what it did.

The thing about this opening is that it has an A+ cinemascore. Avengers is going to do what Spiderman 3 should have done if it was as good as 2. It's going to make a real run for some very lofty numbers. There's no reason for this to crumble. It's the kind of film that will bring in people more than once or twice and it will certainly get the average joe consumer to check it out too. 600 is not a long shot, in fact, it looks realistic. Avatar? I'll hold off on saying this will get a 4 multiplier off an opening weekend record, but who knows. The wom is insane.

Yeah. There was a quote earlier in this thread that said The Avengers is going to do what Spider-Man 3 would have done if it didn't suck and not have Shrek and Pirates on the schedule + 3D. In other words: Massive BO gross.
  • Like 1

Noctis hates me for saying this but I've liked the HP film series less and less as I've gotten older. I feel those 3 collections of movies and Avatar are better than the HP series

yes it is. All HP movies, including my absolute favorite PoA suffer from being piss poor standalones. I read the books kazillions of times but sitll couldn`t get over gaps that didn`t explain things for non-readers to understand. Even to a read, a gap is gap. You don`t mentally fill it in but are actually distracted at the omission.

WTF? What an idiotic comment. I own Avatar and love the movie. I'm sick of your stupid generalizations on this forum. Really sick of it. The reason I would laugh has nothing to do with Avatar, but the amount of money itself. $750m is insane. Avatar had an incredible run to get there. No one in their right mind would think Avengers can get there, so it would be hilarious if it does.

I take it back Redfirebird, you meant it different to what i thought and i'm sorry, i just saw your avatar and put two and two together!.

The thing about this opening is that it has an A+ cinemascore. Avengers is going to do what Spiderman 3 should have done if it was as good as 2. It's going to make a real run for some very lofty numbers. There's no reason for this to crumble. It's the kind of film that will bring in people more than once or twice and it will certainly get the average joe consumer to check it out too. 600 is not a long shot, in fact, it looks realistic. Avatar? I'll hold off on saying this will get a 4 multiplier off an opening weekend record, but who knows. The wom is insane.

Sure is strong but wait and see is best approach right now, 2nd weekend is headed to record but after who knows really?

Titanic is upto 660mil or something now.

Yea, I know. I just meant to match its original run. Still, the movie is getting fantastic WOM. I can't see it have a multi less than 3 at this point. TDK had a 3.3x. With the reaction and WOM this is getting, wouldn't you say it's close to TDK level of reactions coming off the weekend?

I take it back Redfirebird, you meant it different to what i thought and i'm sorry, i just saw your avatar and put two and two together!.

Those stereotypes are silly. I just think, "Wow, I was predicting $325m for Avengers 8 months ago." If it makes $750m, that would just be so crazy it would make me laugh. Same thing happened with Avatar. I was predicting $200-250m for it and it exploded to $750m with some of the best legs ever. Sometimes this stuff can't be explained, so all you do is laugh your ass off.

Yeah. There was a quote earlier in this thread that said The Avengers is going to do what Spider-Man 3 would have done if it didn't suck and not have Shrek and Pirates on the schedule + 3D. In other words: Massive BO gross.

Yah, and we thought back in 2007 that if Spider-Man 3 opened to $150M and had the WOM we thought it would have that it would end up making $500M, kind of like what TDK did.Perhaps, we need to compare TA to TDK. What would TDK do if it had the advantage of 3D. I think that is around what TA will finish with. Can anyone do that calculation?

yes it is. All HP movies, including my absolute favorite PoA suffer from being piss poor standalones. I read the books kazillions of times but sitll couldn`t get over gaps that didn`t explain things for non-readers to understand. Even to a read, a gap is gap. You don`t mentally fill it in but are actually distracted at the omission.

No one and I mean no one took anything bigger than the safe route in adapting the books. It could have been a lot better IMO but just my personal opinion plus I think this is maybe one I might have outgrown over the past decade

Titanic is upto 660mil or something now.

Yea, I know. I just meant to match its original run. Still, the movie is getting fantastic WOM. I can't see it have a multi less than 3 at this point. TDK had a 3.3x. With the reaction and WOM this is getting, wouldn't you say it's close to TDK level of reactions coming off the weekend?

I don't want this to beat Titanic. Just doesn't seem right.

Some months ago, some were hoping (me too?) that the 3d release will push Titanic over Avatar to regain 1st spot.Now, we are envisioning the possibility of Titanic falling to 3rd spot?Incredible summer 2012

Sure is strong but wait and see is best approach right now, 2nd weekend is headed to record but after who knows really?

But that`s what baumer is tlaking about - that A+ cineascore and palatable insane WOM prevent TA from crumbling. I mena, Battleship and MIB3 are guaranteed to be rotten with poor WOM. So although they`ll take a bit of the audience on "lets see something else this week" basis, they won`t sever its legs.

No, it would have been dellusional if TA didn`t have amazing response from all demographics. Also, it opened twice as big as Spiderman which ended up in $404 mio range. TDK has over $50 mio on top of Spidey opening and made $533 mio. Both movies had very good to incredible reviews and great audience response. So with TA opening at $200 mio (which is about $50 mio on top of TDK`s, it should reach at least $600 mio if not pass Titanic. If it behaves like TDK/SM. if it Titanics/Avatars, than Avatar is a toast.

Thats kind of the point though, The Avengers only grossed $40mil or so more than TDK ow and TDK could 'only' get to $533mil total with fantastic legs and wom, i don't see TA having as good legs as TDK so i think it will finish lower or about the same amount at best.

Yah, and we thought back in 2007 that if Spider-Man 3 opened to $150M and had the WOM we thought it would have that it would end up making $500M, kind of like what TDK did.

Perhaps, we need to compare TA to TDK. What would TDK do if it had the advantage of 3D. I think that is around what TA will finish with. Can anyone do that calculation?

It's $650+ million with inflation and 3D I think.

EDIT: Matter of fact, SM3/TDK are around $200m openings with inflation and 3D. So if you give Avengers a 3.36 multiplier like TDK, you end up with $672 million.

Edited by redfirebird2008

i really have no idea at this point. I do think a 3X is possible, but not a 4...but it just destroyed the record, so what do i know?

I still never understood the people who say this. Most of my friends haven't read the books but understand the films very well. But, whatever. Commence ddddeeee and him echoing what you said.I'm almost starting to feel like the Potter series is underrated. I swear, they're blockbusters that care about characters and plot more than any action scenes.