Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Everyone you know must also remember Spiderman. So it will make 400M+ DOM? No.My point is: LOTR-fans may not be as eager to see TH1 as everyone is assuming them to be.

Spider-Man is being seen by some as an unnecessary reboot and it is following a film people didn't like. That is why people are lowballing that movie. It is not the same thing at all.

Just imagine if Marvel gets the rights back to Spider-man and he is put into the Avengers sequel.

I can't imagine the price tag Sony would put on him.Disney paid how much for Marvel? $2b?Spider-Man alone I could see being $500m minimum.

ROTK adjusts to over 480m.

The Hobbit could drop significantly in admissions, which it likely will, and still get to 400m quite easily with the help of inflation, 3D, the holidays, and excellent WOM (which I assume will be the case).

Yes you assume.... you assume too much.

6/6 sold out shows this morning.I haven't closed on a Sunday in a long time, I can't wait to see how it's going to be tonight.

Sure to taper off tonight. Tomorrow is a workday and a school day.

Just imagine if Marvel gets the rights back to Spider-man and he is put into the Avengers sequel.

They don't even need to get the rights back. They can negotiate a deal. Sony might be interested because putting Spider-Man in the Avengers would be advertising for their Spider-Man films.

Agree on the GL thing. I'm hoping Supes next movie is good so a JLA movie can happen. The main problem is see is that Nolan has turned Batman into a character that won't fit in the JLA movie. They need the comic version of Batman to pull that off.Same happened to me this morning. Was going to go see it with my brother (who hasn't seen it). We thought catching the 11:00am showing would allow us to avoid crowds. No such luck.

Darn.That sucks.

I can't imagine the price tag Sony would put on him.Disney paid how much for Marvel? $2b?Spider-Man alone I could see being $500m minimum.

They paid $4.24 billion. Crazy figure. With the Avengers the theatrical run should help pay for about 200M of it after all the costs are covered. Still another $4 billion in the hole on this investment, though I'd imagine the merchandising will help with that drastically. Edited by riczhang

Justice League should not happen.Really the only thing it would have in common with Avengers is that it'd be a movie with multiple heroes. Avengers is much more than that. Ultimately that's what it boils down to but the pieces that had to be in place for it to work should not be underestimated. There are none of those pieces in place for Justice League, and frankly, I'm not sure there ever could be.Avengers works because it makes sense. You have to think of a reason for Batman and Superman to team up. When you think of the Marvel movie-verse then you think OF COURSE these guys would eventually come together. It feels organic. SHIELD is there behind the scenes...the glue. No equivelant in DC. The Marvel guys are all tied into the military-industrial complex (aside from Thor) so they all have something in common already. The web goes back all the way to WW2. All Superman and Batman have in common is that they inhabit the same comic book universe. And even with the comics, it's not a perfect fit. They weren't made to coexist, Marvel's guys were, from the beginning.This is not to slight Superman and Batman, they are both great characters and I love them. They just don't go well together. Can they be film franchises? Batman, obviously. Superman, I think so.That's not even addressing the question of "who else?" There's a reason we're over a decade into the comic book boom and no one has touched these characters.If I were WB, I would focus on a run of animated movies. The problems of bringing the more fantastical DCU to the big screen are largely solved. The field is wide open. You know why people want Incredibles 2? Because animated superheroes are friggin awesome. Do something before Marvel and Pixar do. DO IT WB.As for live action, I'd really look at Jack Kirby's 4th World. Comic book Star Wars is what that could be. Again, do it before Marvel conquers the heroes in space genre also. Might be too late.

They paid $4.34 billion. Crazy figure. With the Avengers the theatrical run should help pay for about 200M of it after all the costs are covered. Still another $4 billion in the hole on this investment, though I'd imagine the merchandising will help with that drastically.

They have the capital to make a profit on this deal no ? now. Bob Iger has Disney in great hands moving forward

Disney paid $4 billion for Marvel. Spidey is worth a lot more than $500m.

But realistically speaking I can see Sony selling of Spidey for ~750M with a 150M swing either way.

Wow, just read through the last 30 pages or so. Amazing for TA. I think it's safe to say that The Avengers deserves the crown of the opening weekend because it not only destroyed the previous record by 31m, it also is right up there in attendance.The Dark Knight Rises is certainly feeling the pressure now.

WOW....200.3M!!!!!! That's just mind boggling. Atleast Potter retained the midnight and OD record....by quite a large margin too. Is Avengers the first film in history to take the OW record but fail to take the OD record? It's certainly the first in a very long time if it's not.....

But realistically speaking I can see Sony selling of Spidey for ~750M with a 150M swing either way.

Sony only owns the film rights to Spider-Man. Disney still gets all the money from Spider-Man merchandising. Paying a big sum for Spider-Man film rights doesn't make that much sense when they are capitalizing off of all the merchandise already.

Amazing Spider-Man needs to tank really badly (like under 500M WW), for Sony to even considerer selling the Spider-Man rights.