Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

500M is happening IMO.

It is possible. Of a 180 OW, it would need about a 2.8 multiplier, which is TDK and DMC territory. The WOM on this is BETTER than both of those. This is about the most crowd pleasing film I've ever seen. They nailed this and they nailed it good. I don't know what the next couple of days have in store, but if this does the same drop as Spiderman 3, then you are looking at a 68 mill Saturday and a 53 mill Sunday. That would give it 201 mill....impossible? Nope. I'm not saying it will hit those numbers, but this is a film with better WOM (not that there was twitter and instant WOM in 2007) so it should give it some very minimal drops. The one thing I'm really hoping they do going forward is just skip the next Thor and Captain America. We don't need them. We need another Avengers film. I mean, how do you come remotely close to topping this? You can't. This movie works mainly because of the dynamic with all the super heroes. By putting them back into their own movie, you take the fun out of the film. I hope they just do an IM3, and use that to set up the next Avengers film.As for next weekend? Is a 50% drop possible? If it is, then you can use magic marker to finalize a 500+ total.
  • Like 2

No offense to our overseas friends here, but most people in America don't give a rat's you-know-what about what overseas audiences are watching. The vast majority have no idea that the film has been out there for the past week.

Anyway TA didn't need this to be a success, so many people waited it, and so many were surprised about the quality of the movie.

I know, I've done the math quite a few times over the years. IMAX *and* 3D lowers Avatar's admissions as well. The problem is that the average ticket price we're given is hardly accurate for every individual film. Its a collective average of hundreds of movies each year. Hence, there's a margin for error that is not large enough to declare which really sold more tickets. They're in the same league, essentially.

Yep, you kind of nailed your analysis on The Avengers in your 2012 blog......excellent analysis.

TA is still #31 on Imdb Top 250. I love The Avengers, but seriously, better than Citizen Kane and Amadeus?

The film has just been released, many of the voters are probably fans and the rating will drop even more after the dvd is released, this usually happens to all movies. I, personally, don't think Avengers belong to the Top 250 list.

• Founder / Operator

As for next weekend? Is a 50% drop possible? If it is, then you can use magic marker to finalize a 500+ total.

We can use it to write up Battleship's tombstone, as well. :lol: Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Maybe I ask why is TA opening this big? I dont know much about the comics, but does the hype on TA simply equal Ironman, Thor, Hulk and so on combined together or sth? I mean, the biggest of them is Ironman 2, which only opened to a 128m wknd.

Edited by vc2002

The one thing I'm really hoping they do going forward is just skip the next Thor and Captain America. We don't need them. We need another Avengers film. I mean, how do you come remotely close to topping this? You can't. This movie works mainly because of the dynamic with all the super heroes. By putting them back into their own movie, you take the fun out of the film. I hope they just do an IM3, and use that to set up the next Avengers film.

I don't even need an IM3 (though I know it's coming). Why bother with all these isolated movies?* It's much more fun to see 'em all together.

* I know, I know: $$$

TA is still #31 on Imdb Top 250. I love The Avengers, but seriously, better than Citizen Kane and Amadeus?

Citizen Kane shouldn't even be there.....haven't seen Amadeus.

It is possible. Of a 180 OW, it would need about a 2.8 multiplier, which is TDK and DMC territory. The WOM on this is BETTER than both of those. This is about the most crowd pleasing film I've ever seen. They nailed this and they nailed it good. I don't know what the next couple of days have in store, but if this does the same drop as Spiderman 3, then you are looking at a 68 mill Saturday and a 53 mill Sunday. That would give it 201 mill....impossible? Nope. I'm not saying it will hit those numbers, but this is a film with better WOM (not that there was twitter and instant WOM in 2007) so it should give it some very minimal drops. The one thing I'm really hoping they do going forward is just skip the next Thor and Captain America. We don't need them. We need another Avengers film. I mean, how do you come remotely close to topping this? You can't. This movie works mainly because of the dynamic with all the super heroes. By putting them back into their own movie, you take the fun out of the film. I hope they just do an IM3, and use that to set up the next Avengers film.As for next weekend? Is a 50% drop possible? If it is, then you can use magic marker to finalize a 500+ total.

Sorry, but you keep saying a 2.8 is the same territory as TDK's multiplier. It's not. If TDK had a 2.8, it would have finished at $444m. That is a significant chunk of change below the $533m it actually made. TDK had a 3.36 multiplier. If Avengers pulls that off, it's headed for $650m or higher (depending on how high the OW ends up).And I would agree with what you said about the individual hero sequels. I don't think they need to do IM3 either, but it's already getting made of course.