grey ghost

How much will Avengers' success help or hurt the Marvel Studio solo films at the B.O.

I think it will help the solo movies a lot.IM3 may get to 750-800M WW, with 140-150M OW in USAThor 2 to IM2 levels, 600-650M WW, with 90-100M OW in USACap 2 to almost IM1 levels, 500-550M WW, with 75-80M OW in USA

Edited by DoctorWho

I would have thought the bigger issue is the reverse question of what effect the next single films will have on Avengers 2.If IM3, CA2 and Thor2 are all rubbish then will people still flock to Avengers 2.Conversely if they are all amazing, could that open the way for a proper assault on Avatar (At least in the US?) and a push towards a toatl of $2B WW?

As i said it before, TA acted as a franchise cleaner AND a propulsive force.

IM3 will come with almost 100% good aura and won't be a SM3.

I think the same way, Chasmmi, if IM3, T2 and CA2 are good/verygood, then the path will be clean & perfect for TA2.

Definitely help, the more people exposed to these characters the better for the individual films, Thor 2 over 200m reaffirmed for me now, not sure how much it will help IM.

Yeah, I'm not too sure how much it'll help IM either. I mean people already loved the character before TA released. I think maybe a 20-30M increase.

As i said it before, TA acted as a franchise cleaner AND a propulsive force.

IM3 will come with almost 100% good aura and won't be a SM3.

I think the same way, Chasmmi, if IM3, T2 and CA2 are good/verygood, then the path will be clean & perfect for TA2.

Marvel is headed in the right direction, they have good directors for Thor 2/IM3 and writer for T2. We know the story for IM3 and possible story for T2. Both are headed in the right path, all that is left is the execution.

I can see IM3 and Thor 2 being helped a lot but I don't know about Cap 2. Cap doesn't seem that interesting of a character to carry a whole franchise

Cap is probably the hardest of the Avengers to make the next solo movies. I did like The First Avenger and the retro nostalgia pulpy action feel but trying to continue his story in the present day without the rest of the gang or his own supporting characters will be a challenge and it also runs the risk of turing into a de facto SHIELD/new set up movie which might put people off. However with both Thor and Cap solo movies currently in still up in the Blu ray and DVD charts and Cap in particular having had a great run, I think all the next movies will see a boost in interest, whether or not that translates into *significantly* better Box office results is another thing.

The real question is what will be the first MCU film to be a failure, either critically or commercially? Incredible Hulk was a slight disappointment at the box office but not enough to ruin their streak. I have doubts about the directors chosen for Cap 2, so hopefully that isn't the one. Marvel's films have been remarkably consistent in their quality so far, but there's always the danger that Disney forces them to make a movie purely for monetary reasons, like what happened with Pixar and Cars 2. Even if any of the solo movies fail, though, I still don't see it hurting Avengers 2.

I heard the releases dates for Thor 2, Captain America 2, and Ironman 3 are the only ones coming out before Avengers 2. So gladly and still hopefully, no new Hulk movie. That'd probably be a little difficult to create a story with just that guy. I couldn't see that there'd be any need for character change or growth, so it'd really just be an open-and-close movie meant to entertain for a while.He already has his powers in Avengers, so with everything moving forward there's no need to make an origin story or whatnot. Plus the fact that there were two Hulk movies released in the past decade means they didn't wanna make a Hulk before Avengers to bore us. I doubt they'll make a movie just for the Hulk at this point.

A new Hulk movie could work, they just need to do a few things.A. No more Bruce Banner the sad sack. Two movies of that is enough.B. No more being chased by the Army. Again, two movies is enough.C. The Hulk needs to become an actual character with his own development beyond "Smash!"

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

IM3 will benefit most, Thor will also see an increase but I was expecting one before TA success anyway but TA just solidifies my prediction, there really isn't much excuse for IM3 not passing the first IM (I'm thinking 142m/330m) an about 76m for Thor 2 on OW and 210m Domestic. IM should gross 450m OS and Thor 2 350m.

The real question is what will be the first MCU film to be a failure, either critically or commercially? Incredible Hulk was a slight disappointment at the box office but not enough to ruin their streak. I have doubts about the directors chosen for Cap 2, so hopefully that isn't the one. Marvel's films have been remarkably consistent in their quality so far, but there's always the danger that Disney forces them to make a movie purely for monetary reasons, like what happened with Pixar and Cars 2. Even if any of the solo movies fail, though, I still don't see it hurting Avengers 2.

Barring terrible reviews and WOM I think IM3 and Thor 2 should both be successes, and by that I agree that means increasing on their last movies at this point. IM is enjoying a nice renewal after underwhelming a bit both critically and BO wise compared to the slam dunk that was IM1.CH and TH continue to grow in popularity and Thor has done well on home markets, so it would reasonable to hope for over $200m at least and over $500m WW. The slight question is the November release date and THG:Catching Fire.The real wildcare of the movies announced so far is CA2. The directors are suprising but I do have faith because Marvel has a track record of getting people passionate about the subject matter, even if their on-paper qualifications are not the biggest. But Cap will be returning without most of his supporting cast and in a completely different era. And if they try to make it a pseudo SHIELD movie that could be an issue. I really can't speculate much more until we have an idea about casting and storyline. But Cap himself should also benefit from increased exposure via Avengers despite being a further out release date and he had a great run on DVD/Blu Ray. In fact the way the solo movies have all peaked back in the top ten home market charts for a few weeks recently is not suprising but still encouraging. The real test will come with something like the rumored Black Panther or Ant-Man after the post TA/non TA bubble has broken. Edited by Bumblebee

IM3 has the prime position of being the first post-TA solo. The OW will be through the roof. What follows will solely ride on the quality of that film. It couldn't possibly have the same level of spectacle as TA, and that could cool the GA's love. IM3 MUST have the same feel-good, all out fun feel of IM1. If they can recapture the feel of the first film, then it will bode extremely well for Thor 2. I still think it's going to be a tricky feat to keep momentum going until TA2. Hopefully they've learned from the few missteps of the pre-TA films.

Another thing is that IM2 really wasn't disliked by the general public the way this forum makes it out to be. However, if one film in a trilogy should be the weakest, it should be the second rather than the third. I think other trilogies like Transformers and Indiana Jones had middle films that were reasonably well-received by their fanbases (although maybe not by critics, as the case is with any Transformers movie), but whose third films took note of all the problems in the previous film and did their best to correct them. That's why I'm convinced IM3 is going to be a solid film; Marvel is in a good position, but by now they know what works and what doesn't for the character.It's going to benefit huge from being the first post-Avengers film. Remember all those 400m+ predictions for IM2? Those just might come true, but for IM3.Thor 2 stands to gain the most of the three. It has not only Chris Hemsworth, whose star has risen considerably since May 2011, but also Tom Hiddleston's Loki, whose popularity is arguably on par with the superheroes making up the Avengers.Cap 2 should see a nice boost, but it's hard to determine how much until the other two have been released.

• Like 1

Great point about Thor 2. The 2 TA standouts were Loki and Hulk. And Loki will get back to the big screen first out of the two. So I think you have a very good point there. After TA, he's clearly the best and most liked villain of the MCU films. Hopefully they can continue to develop him in this "love to hate" fashion.

I heard the releases dates for Thor 2, Captain America 2, and Ironman 3 are the only ones coming out before Avengers 2. Where did you hear this, because there is a May 16, 2014 date.