CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

Alas, that number for Dark Shadows is not very surprising. The Avengers is the eight million pound gorilla in the room, and besides, I think people are starting to tire of the lazy, uninspired films Burton and Depp keep churning out.

oxoffice ‏ @BoxofficeOfficial Friday domestic estimate: $9.720 million for 'Dark Shadows' from 3,755 locations. Location avg. = $2,589.Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite

Yikes! But, it isn't surprising. This was a Halloween/October/Fall movie anyway, even before it got Avenger'd. And fans of the original show seemed ambivalent about it at best, while there wasn't a real guarantee that the general public, who doesn't even know there was a show, was ever much definite to be interested (beyond the Burton/Depp fan set). I haven't seen it, and don't know how it is, but I think it was mishandled in terms of release and maybe marketing. Too bad. Edited by mattie

Take OST out of the equation and Depp is faltering a bit. To be fair the Rum Diaries was never going to be a hit. But both the Tourist and now Dark Shadows disappointing.