CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

I honestly don't care what you guys think you know. Until a reputable site comes out and says that avatar and TDK sold about the same, then they didn't. All we can go on is what is published. So I'll refrain from it. On to the the box office for the weekend.

• Like 1

But in all seriousness, Who on fucking earth thought it was a good idea to release DARK SHADOWS a week after The AVENGERS just made box office history??? Hell, I almost have to feel sorry for Johnny Depp cause this is the 2nd movie that's been a bomb with the 1st being The TOURIST with Angelina Jolie????? Whoever is in charge of deciding the release dates for this movie is fired..

No one except you and Mav thought it would be record breaking though BKB.

No they are not. Not according to Mojo, and if you guys want to challenge that based on your own aqssumptions, be my guest. But I'll go with what is published.

It's not based on our own assumptions. Go read the article from when Avatar passed Titanic. Brandon Gray, the previous owner of BOM, made it very clear that Avatar was around 61 million tickets sold when it passed Titanic. Now please tell me how it could have possibly made $150m more with 35m more tickets sold. That's an average ticket price of $4.28 for a movie with 3D. Fucking impossible. He was estimating an average ticket price of $9.85 at the time Avatar passed Titanic. That's because Avatar had a 80% 3D share. If you take Avatar's first run of $750m and divide it by $9.85, you end up at 76m admissions. TDK was around 71m when you take out the IMAX boost. Read the article:http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667&p=.htm Edited by redfirebird2008

I honestly don't care what you guys think you know. Until a reputable site comes out and says that avatar and TDK sold about the same, then they didn't. All we can go on is what is published. So I'll refrain from it. On to the the box office for the weekend.

Why so hostile. We are just having a discussion here. I said I remember hearing about back in 2010 or so and I can imagine many hear are the same. Know that we know it is a by a big margin we can close the matter.

I don't know what the case is in the US, but in Ontario 3D ticket mark-up is 25-30% ($3 on a $10-13 ticket depending on where you go). Avatar made 42% more than the Dark Knight. Even if every showing was in 3D (which wasn't the case), I don't see how you can argue that Avatar didn't sell more tickets than TDK.

I mean, they had to of had some idea that having 6 superheros on 1 screen and a movie 5 years in the making was going to do some damage at the box office.. DARK SHADOWS should've been released in October..

Maybe, but at least in a summer release it has summer weekdays.

I honestly don't care what you guys think you know. Until a reputable site comes out and says that avatar and TDK sold about the same, then they didn't. All we can go on is what is published.

So I'll refrain from it. On to the the box office for the weekend.

BOM itself says it:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667&p=.htm

"All told, Avatar's estimated admission count is 60.7 million thus far, or less than Titanic through the same point (47 days in). It's also less than half of Titanic's 128 million total estimated admissions."

from February 3, when it overtook Titanic.

BOM itself says it:

http://www.boxoffice...?id=2667&p=.htm

"All told, Avatar's estimated admission count is 60.7 million thus far, or less than Titanic through the same point (47 days in). It's also less than half of Titanic's 128 million total estimated admissions."

But you know, it turned around and sold 35m more tickets at $4.28 each to reach 96m admissions. Yep! :lol:

"I don't know what the case is in the US, but in Ontario 3D ticket mark-up is 25-30% ($3 on a $10-13 ticket depending on where you go). Avatar made 42% more than the Dark Knight. Even if every showing was in 3D (which wasn't the case), I don't see how you can argue that Avatar didn't sell more tickets than TDK."Avatar did more then 42% over TDK.... I remember when Tribute.ca had Canadian numbersIt was around 96 million vs 51-52 million here.I think TA should cruise to 50+ million, Spider Man 1 made around 50-52 million as well.DH2 opened to 13 million and got 43 million, TA opened with 15.5 million and should cruise past 50 million.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Oh, baumer, don`t you know that TDK sold the most tickets ever, made the most money ever, had 100% fresh reviews , but those numbers were forged to make JC come on top because he`s the head of Illuminati who have their fingers in faking boxoffice to their king`s advantage.

• Like 4

BOM itself says it:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667&p=.htm

Yes that's true but at the time avatar only grossed 600M. Still over 100M from it's final gross. Another 15+million tickets is probably what it sold. Edited by riczhang

Also TA is not getting a big boost from 3D anymore.You guys can easily assume it likely fell no more then 45% in admissions from last week and likely less.I think TA 3D boost in the end will not be that high so even in ticket sales it will be likley even beyond DMC.I do not think it will beat TDK or Spider Man 1 in ticket sales unless it goes well past 600 million.

I get angry when people bring up admissions. Admissions to me are not fair, especially when it comes to TDK which no one seemed to want to talk about when it broke all kinds of records. And with Avatar, yes, thank you for the article, which i had never read before, but part of the reason Avatar sold as many tickets as it did is because it was in 3D. Would TDK have sold anywhere near that if it was in 3D? Probably not.Look, Avatar is not in my top 100 films of all time, probably not my top 250 either. Titanic and TDK both are. So this has nothing to do with any bias. But to me, money is money. When you gross as much as you do, its' because people were willing to spend money on your film. So good for TDK that it made 500 mill and good for Avatar than it made 750 mill.

• Like 4

Yes that's true but at the time avatar only grossed 600M. Still over 100M from it's final gross.

You're telling us it made $150m on 35m tickets? That's $4.28 per ticket for a movie with 3D. No way in hell. If you use the same ticket price at the time it passed Titanic ($9.85), you end up with 76m admissions. When you take out the IMAX boost for TDK, it goes down to 71m admissions. Shrek 2 and SM1 are similar to that.