CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

pretty similar TA probably be off 45-47% from Last sunday, DS shouldn't be down more than 20 From Sat

So 30,2-31,3 mill for TAPretty good sunday number for DS

pretty similar TA probably be off 45-47% from Last sunday, DS shouldn't be down more than 20 From Sat

I knew it, I knew Rth is from Asgard!47% drop from last Sunday = $30.245 million45% drop from last Sunday = $31.386 millionThanks oh thou mighty Rth.

I remind you that the second marvel movie in 2014 has yet to ba announced.Is Disney pressuring the MArvel Camp & Whedon to bring back TA as soon as 2014 ?

I hope not...that would be a big mistake. Let Whedon take his time.

I think that tickets sold is an interesting thing to keep track of, but personally not what I judge films on. Part of it is that it's not something that's actually tracked. Everyone can come up with estimates, but that's all they are: estimates.

I get suspicious when I see "tickets sold" followed by a mention of TDK. Why would you talk about TDK if you wanted to discuss the number of tickets sold?

boxoffice.com has battleship at 50m.

Total gross maybe. :) That one smells like an epic bomb.

But Phantom Menace had great WOM when it opened (his legs are the proof). It seems that it didn't stood to the test of time and people start to dislike it (same that is happening to a lot of people with Avatar).

That "great WOM" may have been from SW fans such as myself. I went with 3 friends on opening day to the first morning showing. We walked out and bought tickets to the next showing. I went again the next week. It took several weeks before I would admit to myself that I hated it. I was in such denial for so long...."Oh man! It's awesome!"

I thought Jar Jar was amazingly funny when it was first released, but I was like 4 years old when I saw it in theatres.

That makes sense. Jar Jar=Scooby Doo. George Lucus put Scooby freaking Doo in a Star Wars movie. In hindsight, the Ewoks were a warning that Lucas was losing his mind.

Has anyone seen that guys 90 minute review on youtube? Much better than watching the movie itself.

I have...agreed...it's better than TPM. :)

Hate The Phantom Menace. Hate Attack of the Clones yet it makes me laugh. I really like Revenge of the Sith.

Seriously, hating movies ?Don't you have nothing more productive to do ?People love their hating it s kinda sad ...

I get suspicious when I see "tickets sold" followed by a mention of TDK. Why would you talk about TDK if you wanted to discuss the number of tickets sold?

Because it sold lots of tickets? In fact only two other movies are ahead of it since TPM.

Hence why I think the adjusted gross is more important that tickets sold, because it represents how much real value customers were willing to spend to see the movie.

But adjusted gross just represents how many tickets were sold in dollars.

Actually GWTW is probably around 170-180 million. From 1939-1942, over it's first and second release, it sold 52 million tickets. In total it had 10 or 11 individual releases.

You cant make any comparison with old films like that, for example. Avatar in its first 2 months would of sold more tickets than the first 4 years of gone with the wind. The only fair comparisons are films within the same decade.
  • Like 1

GWTW as the Avatar of 1939..it was the first completely colour film, it was the first film to "swear" and it was a huge budget, grand scope and a story that was close to a lot of people's ethos (sorry can't think of another word without being cheesy). So yes it is a massive film, but as others have mentioned, it's a film that has maybe 30 or so releases. So it deserves its place in history for sure, but has it really sold that many tickets? Who knows.

Rallax said they sold 1877 tickets yesterday...that's a 17% drop from what they sold on Saturday (for Avengers).