Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

If they think they can get more money by pulling it out of theatres and forcing people to either buy or rent on Blu ray, they'll do that. Perfectly legitimate. That homage thing was speculation by posters on a Japanese forum: 

I don't see how they could even think they would make more $ from DVD sales by pulling it from theaters completely.

If it continues like it has it will still be making significant $ from its theatrical run, and we know DVD sales in Japan are weaker than most markets.

If, for some reason, Frozen suddenly fell off a cliff before the DVD release then we would be in a similar position to North America where there would be no point in pulling the movie, just let it crawl to the last milestone and rake in the DVD money at the same time.

Frozen is not an either/or situation, the DVD sales are going to be roughly the same no matter what.

Mfantin/T.E.Lawrence was here.

you bet, and soon to be gone. Booked a ticket to Delhi in early july. First stop Nainital for my gurus bhandara then a walk to Badrinath. Try to lose some anger. :rant:I have to get back to Italy soon too. I still have family near Venice.

Actually it is the point that matters here. Your examples are all of connections between people, where actions such as not breaking records because you honor them actually means something. Disney is not a singular entity where one person calls all the shots it's a huge multinational cooperation where money is king. No doubting the nobility of the action but being noble in the business place doesn't make you a world leader in the entertainment industry. 

I understand your point in a personal decision of someone to honor another person for whom he has respect being something different than a business decision.

But what I was trying to say ist, that there is nothing more meaningful to honor a previous recordholder, than breaking his record and stressing, how much you care to break his record and how much it means to you.

The opposite would be, if Disney nonchalantly broke the Spirited Away record and said they did not care for that market so particularly.

I understand your point in a personal decision of someone to honor another person for whom he has respect being something different than a business decision.

But what I was trying to say ist, that there is nothing more meaningful to honor a previous recordholder, than breaking his record and stressing, how much you care to break his record and how much it means to you.

The opposite would be, if Disney nonchalantly broke the Spirited Away record and said they did not care for that market so particularly.

Yes only it makes no sense to say that Disney will stop screening frozen in Japan out of some sense of honour for Japanese animation which is what my original point was. I can't begin to describe how ludicrous that is from a business perspective, nor can I imagine a group of board members nodding their heads sagely while agreeing to go through with it. 

But like lab says it's only speculation from the Japanese forum it would make no sense for it to happen for that particular reason. If they thought they'd make more money that way then I'd say they're wrong but fair play to them. 

Now, it seems that the new report say the first-run of Frozen will stop in July.(after the release of BD)

People in the Japanese forum say perhaps Disney decides not to surpass Spirited away

to pay homage to Japanese animation.

BULLSHIT!!!

Sorry, I had to get it out of my system.

Does anyone have an email address for ehoever's in charge of Disney's international marketing? I really want to write a letter to delay the Blu-Ray/DVD release.

No email. Call those idiots.

Does anyone have an email address for ehoever's in charge of Disney's international marketing? I really want to write a letter to delay the Blu-Ray/DVD release.

Try doing bothThis is a general corporate messaging center.http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/contact-us/corporate-communicationsCorporate main line. (818) 560-1000Ask for Dave Hollis' office, say its a distro issue or you're a writer or investor. He is the OS distribution VP. Youll get his secretary, nice lady, timid sounding, speak to her like you're a character on Hannah Montana. Try to get through to him or ask for an email.She took notes and said some one will get back to me, I should've gotten her or Dave's email.let us know.

Just thought of this; Japan has had a history of protecting their products by limiting or taxing imports. If stopping the run is true than it could be a nationalistic issue to have the top film be SA and not Disney pulling it. I can't fathom them stopping it voluntary. China is very obvious with this behavior. Write and call the fucktards anyway.

Edited by T E Lawrence

I have no words to describe my disappointment/annoyance/anger/disbelief for this decision. I don't wanna say that I hope it's not true, but I just wonder who on Earth would make that decision and for what reason. And why? Why? I know that "why?" is the most likely question that won't have an answer but it is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

I think y'all are jumping to conclusions. The fact that this may be Disney's decision at all is just conjecture. And the reasons for the decision are just an assumption. If it's true at all, which we don't know at this point.

I don't see how they could even think they would make more $ from DVD sales by pulling it from theaters completely.If it continues like it has it will still be making significant $ from its theatrical run, and we know DVD sales in Japan are weaker than most markets.If, for some reason, Frozen suddenly fell off a cliff before the DVD release then we would be in a similar position to North America where there would be no point in pulling the movie, just let it crawl to the last milestone and rake in the DVD money at the same time.Frozen is not an either/or situation, the DVD sales are going to be roughly the same no matter what.

Does anyone know what Disney's percentage of the gross is after 12 weeks?There are many people at Disney who know the numbers much better than the people on this forum. They know the best time to release the DVD to maximize profit. Calling/emailing them is a JOKE. LOL!

Does anyone know what Disney's percentage of the gross is after 12 weeks?There are many people at Disney who know the numbers much better than the people on this forum. They know the best time to release the DVD to maximize profit. Calling/emailing them is a JOKE. LOL!

I thought Time warner a 15p/e stock merging w Aol a 100 p/e stock thinking it would bolster their stock price was a joke, and it proved to be down the road when the stock cut by 75% and was made fun of by everyone on wall st. 50 billion dollar blunder. Their greed to get more money right now clouds their judgement for the repercussions down the road. Enron and world com did their own dumbass things and some went to jail and cost shareholders $300b So dont put these idiots on a pedestal, some of them blow their way to the top like you do for your rent. The numbers are there and obvious and you're an idiot if you dont see the potential. you're the only joke in this forum.And go FUCK yourself by the way C U Next Tueasday Edited by T E Lawrence

If I get banned and ive been a good boy for two weeks, its been fun tracking this cut short phenom with you all. You will never see a run like this again. There I said it, never.C u again down the road in this life or the next... :)

Edited by T E Lawrence
  • Like 1

If I get banned and ive been a good boy for two weeks, its been fun tracking this cut short phenom with you all. You will never see a run like this again. There I said it, never.C u again down the road in this life or the next... :)

Calm down, man.

I doubt you will get banned... as long as you stick to just trashing Disney. :ph34r:

Edited by Mojoguy

Again I'll say it eats me up how much movies in Japan depend on legs to make their money, the constant reports that nearly all screenings are only half full are so annoying, I wish they were more frontloaded like the US. Frozen was making only 2m a weekend the few days before its video release in the US, so it wasn't such a big deal.

Please Japanese people, GO SEE THE DAMN MOVIE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SEEING. Are you telling me half those people that still want to see the movie still haven't done it yet? Talk about taking their sweet time, its been 3 months now. I just can't fathom that kind of movie going culture. :wacko:

• Like 2

Just thought of this; Japan has had a history of protecting their products by limiting or taxing imports. If stopping the run is true than it could be a nationalistic issue to have the top film be SA and not Disney pulling it. I can't fathom them stopping it voluntary. China is very obvious with this behavior.Write and call the fucktards anyway.

China can do whatever the heck they want, but I doubt Japan doing it.

Isn't Japan a democratic Country unlike China.

;

China can do whatever the heck they want, but I doubt Japan doing it. Isnt Japan a democratic Country unlike China.

Through a democratic process they have charged high tariffs to limit sales. They can also vote to ban imports to protect their own products.

Japanese economic protectionism is very roots deep, they did after all seal themselves off from the outside world for two centuries between 1635-1853 before the great Meiji restoration. Moreover Japan's protectionist policies have been shared with nearby nations to a huge extent. The ultimate basis of these policies is an attitude towards economics that sees the economy not as an end in itself, but as an instrument of national power. Whether or not this affects the entertainment industry though I have no idea. Have there been any precedents to speak of?