Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

1 minute ago, edroger3 said:

This confirm my "Fansite" teory 

A Fan site is, literally, a place where you can say any nonsense without anyone you gonna make you notice. Of course, if someone does, the typical reaction is the offense, because it is the only possible answer.

Hey, we're tracking Zootopia's chances to get to $1 billion worldwide. You're damn right it brings out the fanboys.

1 hour ago, Planodisney said:

Then you would have really been annoyed by Frozens Japanese run.

I think it's completely understandable.  You have a movie making a run at 1 billion, which is fairly rare, and it has all come down to Japan.

There are also a lot of people who really love this movie and Jspan is the only place left that it's Box Office number is still interesting.

Don't forget about Turkey. Will be released there on June 10th)

Why is there surprise that people are interested in Zootopia's run?  It's always like this when something breaks out in an unusual way.  People just want to see it through to the end.

Also.... I'm not even sure I want to imagine what this thread was like during Frozen's run...

10 minutes ago, Sal said:

Also.... I'm not even sure I want to imagine what this thread was like during Frozen's run...

I joined in late April 2014 and it was just frenetic. So many people were posting, so many predictions were being made. There were updates on Frozen's gross every few hours. Just imagine the traction for Zootopia times 5.

Also, if it has an increase this week (or stays steady), I think the chances of reaching $1B vs not reaching it will finally tip over 50%.

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, edroger3 said:

What? In 2015 there were Conan, Dragonball and Furous 7 other the "Shinchan" movie that have earned 95M$ over the GW, This year Conan, Civil war, Shinchan and I am a hero did 88M$. Plus, among new openers, 2015's Biri Gal was at the samne level of 64 part 1.

If they earned so much, how come Cinderella could lead in admissions for its first 31 days even though it made about the same as Zootopia? That's what I mean by less competition. I know that Mimorin didn't include Aeon back then, so I'm only working with what I have. Are its numbers way off? Are Box Office Mojo's weekly Japan totals way off?

14 hours ago, edroger3 said:

I don't understand if this thread is still a boxoffice numbers discussion or it is just become a Zootopia fansite.

Did you miss all the times I tempered other people's enthusiastic expectations of the movie? Why are you so combative? If anything, you keep jumping the gun in dismissing its chances at one billion:

On 5/1/2016 at 9:01 AM, edroger3 said:

Zoo daily. 

This week it has 10,5M OS, almost all from Japan. This means that Zoo's run outside USA and Japan is ended. WW total is 920 without Japan and in the best case scenario there are 20M more to come. So the Japanese gross to put in safe the billion is 60/65M.

On 5/8/2016 at 8:17 AM, edroger3 said:

WW total is now at 956,4. 22M added this week (14 Jap - 4 Usa - 4 Oth). In Usa the weekend is -50%, so next week should be under 10M (4/5 Jap - 2,5 Usa - 2,5 Other>). R.I.P. Billion.

That's two weeks in a row now that you've taken the initial global weekly numbers at face value, and then watch as the overseas total gets rounded up by $1 million dollars and the domestic total by half a million.

12 hours ago, edroger3 said:

This confirm my "Fansite" teory 

A Fan site is, literally, a place where you can say any nonsense without anyone you gonna make you notice. Of course, if someone does, the typical reaction is the offense, because it is the only possible answer.

Then I'll just have to prove you wrong. Again, please tell me what nonsense I wrote, because I'm only going off of objective data I can find. I count 2,272,688 non-Aeon admissions by movies outside of Cinderella last year, versus 2,663,058 non-Aeon admissions by movies outside of Zootopia this year. That's a 17% increase.

Edited by LMAbacus

2 hours ago, Sal said:

Why is there surprise that people are interested in Zootopia's run?  It's always like this when something breaks out in an unusual way.  People just want to see it through to the end.

Personally, I have special feelings for Zootopia

Obviously, it has a great story and great animations, but it goes deeper than that.

Currently, the top 10 earning animated films (unadjusted for inflation) are all either 1.) sequels 2.) spin-offs 3.) re-releases or 4.) based on pre-exiting stories/fairy tales 

All... except for Zootopia now.

This is very understandable since studios are much more willing to invest in marketing and golden release time periods if they are more certain it will bring in the big bucks (Frozen was released right before a quadruple holiday period in the US).

On the other hand, it's very obvious that Zootopia was treated more or less as a "let's see if this sticks" piece of work.

Zootopia did not have as much marketing investments done as most other top selling animations (the first trailer was pretty terrible). And the release time period was more less just "meh". The DVD release dates are also pretty close to the movie release dates... clearly this was not a film expected to do this well.

But against all odds, the Zootopia is still leading the worldwide gross.

And what better film to do that than the one that is all about the idea that you should not judge a person by their looks and that anyone can be anything.

(the icing on the cake is the utter failure of Dawn of Justice within the same time period... a movie made purely on hype of pre-existing stories and future sequels)

My hope for Zootopia to hit the Billion mark is not only because I thought a film with this much quality should deserve its recognition and credit, but also that I hope studios will be more willing to take more chances in original ideas and creative stories in future animated films.

Just look at the up-coming animated films... Toy Story 4, The Incredibles 2, Finding Dory, Cars 3, Frozen 2, How to Train your Dragon 3 and more... as much as I love some of these films, I really don't want to see so many sequels, especially when they can potentially take away box office earnings from new ideas.

Edited by Foul01
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

Currently, the top 10 earning animated films (unadjusted for inflation) are all either 1.) sequels 2.) spin-offs 3.) re-releases or 4.) based on pre-exiting stories/fairy tales 

All... except for Zootopia now.

Frozen was minimally based on pre-existing stories, and in any case, that certainly wasn't why it made money.

8 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

Zootopia did not have as much marketing investments done as most other top selling animations (the first trailer was pretty terrible). And the release time period was more less just "meh". The DVD release dates are also pretty close to the movie release dates... clearly this was not a film expected to do this well.

Marketing definitely left more to be desired, and releasing it in the same week as BvS in the UK was several levels of horrible, but I don't have any issue with the other release dates. It took full advantage of spring break and lack of competition in the US, got a same-day release date in China, opened before fall holidays in Australia, etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

Frozen was minimally based on pre-existing stories, and in any case, that certainly wasn't why it made money.

Frozen was based on a fairy tale... which of course made Disney decide to include a princess into the story.

And having the princess is itself a great advantage, Anna (and Elsa, even though she is technically a Queen) was pretty much guaranteed to be included into the Disney Princess franchise even before the movie was released... this means Frozen is continuing a long standing tradition in the Disney Business and is therefore a heavy priority for marketing and sales activities.

(note: Anna and Elsa are still not officially included in the Disney Princess franchise yet... the exact reason is unclear yet, one theory is that the Frozen brand has actually grown bigger than that of the Disney Princess brand, another theory is that officially including Frozen into the Disney Princess franchise will harm the feminist theme of the movie... but whatever the reason, people are going to associate Anna and Elsa with Disney Princesses and Frozen is therefore heavily marketed)

On top of that, as a Disney Princess movie, Frozen already has an established fan base to build on (the Disney Princess fan base, which includes range as wide as little girls to nostalgic adults)

That said, Frozen was still impressive.

It had a good story, amazing songs (the primary reason of the insane box office), and a central theme that coincides with the current progressive social view

Edited by Foul01

@Foul01

I think the DVD release date decided after the film's theaterical release.

Also, Bob Iger had good things to say about Zootopia.

Just look at the Oscars that we've won for Frozen and Big Hero 6, the box office, the excitement about this movie Zootopia that's coming up, which I think is going to be a real sleeper hit and that's coming up in actually first quarter, end of the first calendar quarter rather, of 2016.

That was in November 2015.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3655106-walt-disney-dis-robert-iger-q4-2015-results-earnings-call-transcript

• Like 1

It just seems too dismissive of the other movies if you arbitrarily point out reasons why they should make money. Being a Disney Princess movie didn't vault Tangled to an amazing box office, for instance. Frozen and the Lion King's box office are by any measure more impressive than what Zootopia is doing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Can we talk about 64's numbers? I'd say they're surprisingly strong for a live-action movie that isn't based on a manga.

The thing that stood out to me about its numbers is that they're absurdly front-loaded on weekdays. Over the last three days, it's made 65% of its gross before 2pm; that's even higher than Shin-Chan's 61%! In comparison, Conan, Zootopia and Civil War are in a narrow range between 37% and 39%.

Edited by LMAbacus

20 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

It just seems too dismissive of the other movies if you arbitrarily point out reasons why they should make money. Being a Disney Princess movie didn't vault Tangled to an amazing box office, for instance. Frozen and the Lion King's box office are by any measure more impressive than what Zootopia is doing.

I didn't saying being based on fairy tale can guarantee you a place as a top grossing movie.

You still need actual quality.

Like I said, Frozen had great music, good stories, and good central themes.

But Frozen was definitely marketed with more expectations to do well... in comparison, Zootopia wasn't (studios most likely did not even expect it to break $500 million).

Neither did I say Zootopia was the most impressive as well... but the thing about Lion King and Frozen was that:

1.) As well as Frozen did on its own, you cannot say it didn't start with an advantage (more marketing, established Disney Princess fan base, better release dates)

2.) Lion King was almost 2 decades ago... it has been a while since an original animated film did this well. 

*by the way, I wouldn't say Lion King was completely original as well, the story lines are way too similar to Osamu Tezuka's "Jungle Emperor" to be dismissed...... but that said, I don't think basing an animated film on a Japanese manga artist would have actually given much advantage in terms of worldwide box office anyway.

Long story short, I wish success for Zootopia because its success could pave way for more original animated films that are not sequels, spin-offs, or princess fairy tales in the future.

18 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

The thing that stood out to me about its numbers is that they're absurdly front-loaded on weekdays. Over the last three days, it's made 65% of its gross before 2pm; that's even higher than Shin-Chan's 61%! In comparison, Conan, Zootopia and Civil War are in a narrow range between 37% and 39%.

Maybe all of the retired people in Japan are watching 64.

27 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

What's also 'funny' is that Shin-chan fell 97.6% (!!!) compared to last Wednesday. Sure, it was the biggest GW day, but none of the other movies fell more than 90%.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Foul01 said:

I didn't saying being based on fairy tale can guarantee you a place as a top grossing movie.

But you did list it as a category that would eliminate Frozen from the top 10. And looking at the list again, I realized I forgot to list Finding Nemo as much more impressive as well. Even without the re-release it would've made the top 10, and it got there with zero dollars made in China, if BOM is accurate. And since you're bringing up obscure references, I'll just say in advance that its resemblance to the plotline of Pierrot the Clownfish is not something that would've noticeably boosted its box office.

As well as Frozen did on its own, you cannot say it didn't start with an advantage (more marketing, established Disney Princess fan base, better release dates)

I'll give you the first two, but release date is largely overrated, especially in the larger markets where there are plenty of screens. Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6 were all released in November as well, and in Japan Frozen was released outside of the peak months of July and December.

Long story short, I wish success for Zootopia because its success could pave way for more original animated films that are not sequels, spin-offs, or princess fairy tales in the future.

Ironically, it's probably doing the opposite. The success of Frozen and Zootopia is leading to a sequel for the former and likely a sequel for the latter.

Edited by LMAbacus