Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Underwhelming for marnie. Wasn't it listed as potential 10B grosser. Now it looks like it would be lucky to gross half that number.

Looks like Disney might have jumped the gun releasing the Frozen dvd early, they had nothing to fear from Ghibli. Marnie wasn't going to be much competition at all. :wacko:

If you can't judge these movies outside graphics it's pretty sad.

I mean The Lion King came out 20 years ago and when I saw it again last year I was still amazed despite it's far from the recent Disney movies in terms of graphics,what about characters?Music?Story? Are these things not important enough to you?

Ghibli movies are particular and I don't like all of them,but Spirited Away is fantastic.

I don't like the "new" graph, I realy hate them. I like the drawed picture movies much more.

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 *58540 ポケモン・ザ・ムービーXY Pokemon
 *2 *57473 マレフィセント Maleficient
 *3 *50464 思い出のマーニー Marnie
 *4 *22743 劇場版仮面ライダー鎧武 烈車…
 *5 *13864 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・…
 *6 *12334 好きっていいなよ。
 *7 *10066 プレーンズ2 ファイアー&レ…
 *8 **7764 アナと雪の女王 Frozen
 *9 **7400 超高速!参勤交代
 10 **4112 渇き。

With these numbers, I think 'Maleficient' could stay at the top.
Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 3

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 *58540 ポケモン・ザ・ムービーXY Pokemon
 *2 *57473 マレフィセント Maleficient
 *3 *50464 思い出のマーニー Marnie
 *4 *22743 劇場版仮面ライダー鎧武 烈車…
 *5 *13864 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・…
 *6 *12334 好きっていいなよ。
 *7 *10066 プレーンズ2 ファイアー&レ…
 *8 **7764 アナと雪の女王 Frozen
 *9 **7400 超高速!参勤交代
 10 **4112 渇き。

With these numbers, I think 'Maleficient' could stay at the top.

Yes, the price of Mal is higher than Pokemon.....

Mal should be Saturday N0.1..

• Like 1

Toho Cinemas Admissions [saturday]:
33,778 - Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (NEW)
32,273 (-30%) - Maleficent (Week 3)
27,287 - Memories of Marnie (NEW)
10,676 - Kamen Rider Gaim the Movie: The Great Soccer Match! (NEW)
6,222 (-42%) - Edge of Tomorrow (Week 3)
5,653 - Planes: Fire & Rescue (NEW)
5,541 (-45%) - Say, "I Love You" (Week 2)
4,556 (-38%) - Frozen (Week 19)
3,137 (-23%) - Mission Impossible: Samurai (Week 5)
2,296 (-45%) - Thirst (Week 4)

Toho, Movix, 109, Kinezo Combined Admissions [saturday]:
58,540 - Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (NEW)
57,473 - Maleficent (Week 3)
50,464 - Memories of Marnie (NEW)
22,743 - Kamen Rider Gaim the Movie: The Great Soccer Match! (NEW)
13,864 - Edge of Tomorrow (Week 3)
12,334 - Say, "I Love You" (Week 2)
10,066 - Planes: Fire & Rescue (NEW)
7,764 - Frozen (Week 19)
7,400 - Mission Impossible: Samurai (Week 5)
4,122 - Thirst (Week 4)

And the weekend looks like it's going to underwhelm.  It's very unlikely anything earns over 500 million for the weekend unless Sunday is extremely strong, which would be the first time a film failed to reach the mark since around 1992 during this weekend.

Pokemon is trailing last year's film by 13% now at Toho Cinemas, and Memories of Marnie only did 10% better than The Tale of Princess Kaguya at the same locations.

So unless Sunday really changes things, they're looking at opening weekends (Sat/Sun) of:

¥425-450 million ($4.2-4.5 million) / 405,000-425,000 admissions - Pokemon XY
¥425-450 million ($4.2-4.5 million) / 305,000-325,000 admissions - Maleficent
¥310-330 million ($3.1-3.3 million) / 240,000-260,000 admissions - Memories of Marnie

Pokemon and Maleficent look to be fighting out as both of their projections are in the same range based on Saturday results.  Pokemon will win the weekend in admissions, however, but the overall franchise has noticeably gotten weaker of the past couple years.  If this one opens more than 10% above the last film as it looks like it's going to do, then it will probably be the first new generation film to drop from the last film of the previous generation.    

I was hesitant to believe that Youkai Watch, a new series in Japan that's been exploding (higher tv ratings than Pokemon now, and the recent game sold 1.28 million copies in 4 days, which is almost comparable to the Pokemon games themselves), is taking away younger fans and attracting a new group of kids, but that certainly seems to be the case here.  The new game actually launched this past week, too, so some budget cautious parents and their kids may have chosen it over the new Pokemon film.  Dunno, we'll see as time goes on.

And that's pretty poor for Marnie.  It wasn't expected to do Hayao Miyazaki numbers of course, but only doing a bit better than The Tale of Princess Kaguya, and maybe not even matching Up on Poppy Hill is very underwhelming.  Some analysts believed Studio Ghibli would suffer after Miyazaki retired, with interest in the brand name dwindling as a results, so there may be some truth to this theory as well.  Marnie will likely earn a multiplier over 10, but that may only be good enough for a ¥3-3.5 billion ($30-35 million) total.  

As for the other films... pretty damn bad, too.  Kamen Rider appears well down once again.  The interest in these films are also dropping at a constant pace.  And Planes 2 is going to do much, much less than the first film.
Edited by Corpse
  • Like 2

Maleficent is down 30% at Toho and almost 30% everywhere else.

Corpse, You wrote that Pokemon will sell 100.000 more admissions than Maleficent and Marnie, but they have almost the same number saturday.Pokemon will sell a lot more sunday?

Ash Ketchum has gotten annoying, at least in the English dub, but I would imagine some of that stems from the source as well. And it's not a charming annoying like usual, it's a real annoying. It wouldn't surprise me if the new film bucks the trend of surpassing the previous.That said, new games come out this fall: OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. Oh wait, those are remakes of the games that yielded the weak-performing Advance series movies. Sigh.This is why they should bring back Misty and Brock.

• Like 1

Corpse, You wrote that Pokemon will sell 100.000 more admissions than Maleficent and Marnie, but they have almost the same number saturday.Pokemon will sell a lot more sunday?

Maleficent did 434,000 admissions last weekend.  So if it drops around 30%, it'll do  304,000 admissions for the weekend.

The last Pokemon film opened with 464,000 admissions.  The new film is trailing by 13%, so that would put it at 403,000 admissions.

Both should go higher than those numbers though since Sunday is a Movix discount day, but Pokemon winning the weekend in admissions is practically locked.  It plays much stronger at Aeon Cinemas (the largest chain) and others that aren't tracked. 

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1

Ash Ketchum has gotten annoying, at least in the English dub, but I would imagine some of that stems from the source as well. And it's not a charming annoying like usual, it's a real annoying. It wouldn't surprise me if the new film bucks the trend of surpassing the previous.That said, new games come out this fall: OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. Oh wait, those are remakes of the games that yielded the weak-performing Advance series movies. Sigh.This is why they should bring back Misty and Brock.

I'm excited for the gen 3 remakes tbh, the first 3 gens were my favorite.