Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Corpse

>Big Hero 6 was very strong on Wednesday, suggesting it has great female appeal (females get half-off their tickets at cinemas every Wednesday). It only tailed Yo-Kai Watch by 20/25% for the day as it continues to catch up, quickly, in the daily race.

Thus far the news has all been positive for Big Hero 6 in Japan. That it apparently has great female appeal answers yet another significant question for this market in its favor. :D

Man, between this (in the early going), Frozen, and Maleficent this year, in addition to Monsters University last year, could Disney be any hotter in Japan? They seem to love Japan back, too, actually describing Big Hero 6 as their "love letter" to Japanese culture. Meanwhile the rest of Hollywood has had a year to forget in the Land of the Rising Sun (yes, I realize that this is a western term ;)).

• Like 5

Thus far the news has all been positive for Big Hero 6 in Japan. That it apparently has great female appeal answers yet another significant question for this market in its favor. :DMan, between this (in the early going), Frozen, and Maleficent this year, in addition to Monsters University last year, could Disney be any hotter in Japan? They seem to love Japan back, too, actually describing Big Hero 6 as their "love letter" to Japanese culture. Meanwhile the rest of Hollywood has had a year to forget in the Land of the Rising Sun (yes, I realize that this is a western term ;)).

This. Japan seems to love Disney very much. Next stop, they need to have China on their back.

• Like 3

Sure, although it did have 52 days in theaters to build up toward it.... :P

Yes, that was intended to be ironic and nonsensical ;), as doing this on day 53 is an astonishing feat.

Well, Yōkai Watch drew so much of its potential audience into theaters on OW that it was never going to have legs that are as strong, or even of average strength for movies in Japan, necessarily. Big Hero 6, in contrast, is having a more normal box office run, and should have broader appeal overall, at least demographically. As usual in Japan, people weren't chomping at the bit to see the movie RIGHT NOW--most will wait to hear what others say about the movie before deciding whether to see it in theaters, while the other movie had a built-in audience who were going to see it as soon as they could no matter what (more of a known quantity and far more hyped in certain ways--things besides how good the movie might be).

Now, for all I know it could be that Yōkai Watch is a truly great movie that will eventually appeal to a broad audience, including many adults, in which case it could still have great legs and become the highest-grossing release of all time in Japan, but from what I've heard and can surmise, this seems very unlikely indeed. Most likely it will be a really big--maybe even huge--hit with an audience that primarily consists of children, but its legs won't be that great. Meanwhile Big Hero 6's final gross will be far more dependent on how much the Japanese audience like it (WOM), and if they like it like they do most WDAS animated features, then it should have strong to very strong legs.

I think it's got more to do with its main audience being kids who are at school.

>Big Hero 6 was very strong on Wednesday, suggesting it has great female appeal (females get half-off their tickets at cinemas every Wednesday). It only tailed Yo-Kai Watch by 20/25% for the day as it continues to catch up, quickly, in the daily race.

So much for BH6 being a "boy-centric" film. :P

Man, between this (in the early going), Frozen, and Maleficent this year, in addition to Monsters University last year, could Disney be any hotter in Japan? They seem to love Japan back, too, actually describing Big Hero 6 as their "love letter" to Japanese culture. Meanwhile the rest of Hollywood has had a year to forget in the Land of the Rising Sun (yes, I realize that this is a western term ;)).

Wait, it's a western term? Because also we call Japan with the exact same term (but in our language) here.

• Like 1

Kind of, it's an embellishment of what it means in Japanese.

Wait, it's a western term? Because also we call Japan with the exact same term (but in our language) here.

I had meant to avoid rather than start a controversy. :) I just meant it wasn't a strictly literal translation, although the basic idea is the same, and of course it originated in Japan.

• Like 1

I had meant to avoid rather than start a controversy. :) I just meant it wasn't a strictly literal translation, although the basic idea is the same, and of course it originated in Japan.

Actually it comes from China, since Japan is to the east, it's where the sun comes from.

• Like 2

Oh it's okay, I was just asking. I assumed the term originated in Japan, because the Japanese name for "Japan", which is "Nihon" or "Nippon" can be translated as "where the sun comes from", or something like that. And that we adopted that term around the time when Japan occupied our country, and have been using it since. So I thought maybe my assumption was wrong.

Actually it comes from China, since Japan is to the east, it's where the sun comes from.

And.. now we have the answer. :)

Btw, minimum drop for BH6 despite Wednesday being a discount day.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

Toho admissions

Day      Frozen    BH6       YoHW

0-Fri    49.224
1-Sat    58.491    46.753   133.455
2-Sun    64.414    47.611   137.103

W1-Tot  854.620   463.556 1.484.916

Gr.MYen   986,4     600,4    1629,0

3-Mon    19.967    16.834    45.005

4-Tue    21.651    47.073   107.265

5-Wed    43.281    32.637    43.836
6-Trh    26.963    28.705    35.850
7-Fri    68.297    25.265    49.472
Tot     352.288   244.878   551.986

• Like 2

Toho admissions

Day      Frozen    BH6       YoHW

0-Fri    49.224

1-Sat    58.491    46.753   133.455

2-Sun    64.414    47.611   137.103

W1-Tot  854.620   463.556 1.484.916

Gr.MYen   986,4     600,4    1629,0

3-Mon    19.967    16.834    45.005

4-Tue    21.651    47.073   107.265

5-Wed    43.281    32.637    43.836

6-Trh    26.963    28.705    35.850

7-Fri    68.297    25.265    49.472

Tot     352.288   244.878   551.986

BH6 lost a bit and Yokai gained a lot! Damn brats!

Told you. :P  Come back on monday the 5th because the kiddies will be out in droves for the next 10 days.

Ahaha I can't help being hopeful :P

And I still hope these lovely kids return to their senses ASAP :P

Edited by Fullbuster