Neo

Gods of Egypt | Feb 26, 2016 | IMAX release confirmed

30 minutes ago, cookie said:

Will there even be critic screenings for this?

Not even Gerard Butler is promoting this. And he is doing everything in his power and travelling half the country to promote London Has Fallen everywhere he can :lol: 

1 hour ago, HeyItsMoses said:

So how bad is this gonna bomb?

Massively.

What's amazing is that the impending failure of this movie (a $100M+ action picture) would've been a big news story a decade ago, back when everyone was pronouncing the "traditional" action movie as being dead after the epic consecutive bombings of The Island and Stealth (the total rejection of those movies led to a bunch of articles wondering what had happened to the action movie at the time). Now, a movie like this is going to flop and no one is even gonna care. How the times have changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

No one cares because the company covered its ass through foreign presales and heavy tax credits. They won't even lose money on it. 

True, although I guess the movie won't escape "failure" status given the inevitable combo of low domestic box office and (judging from everything) poor reputation.

I mean this thing reportedly cost $130M but honestly, I've seen better special effects in M&M commercials.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2016 at 7:18 AM, The Futurist said:

The article says there is little chance Lionsgate will loose money on this but this is weird, Lionsgate produces movies just to not loose money, but winning money with their movies they can't manage.

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

No one cares because the company covered its ass through foreign presales and heavy tax credits. They won't even lose money on it. 

One of the most recent movies that had that "it can't possibly lose money" mind set was Jem, since its budget was $5 million, and we all know how that box office run went. 

And I did predict a $7 million opening weekend as an extreme low end guess, but I know it is unlikely to happen.

8 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Lionsgate will be fine.

I guess the company will start talking more about Power Rangers very soon then, because neither this movie nor Allegiant is likely getting as much hype as what Lionsgate wants at the moment.

In fact it sure does feel amazing that a $100M+ can just flop outright nowadays when it was a huge deal when such occurred a decade ago when we had epic bombs like Poseidon (although that really was an ill-advised project in retrospect. A summer spectacle based around a capsizing cruise ship, released around a time when most people plan cruise vacations? Oy). Although it often has to do with the bomb movies themselves getting most of the blame since they weren't worth the investment in the first place.

Just now, filmlover said:

In fact it sure does feel amazing that a $100M+ can just flop outright nowadays when it was a huge deal when such occurred a decade ago when we had epic bombs like Poseidon (although that really was an ill-advised project in retrospect. A summer spectacle based around a capsizing cruise ship, released around a time when most people plan cruise vacations? Oy). Although it often has to do with the bomb movies themselves getting most of the blame since they weren't worth the investment in the first place.

Was expecting more tv spots.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Eh, last year Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending and Pan were all making headlines about their losses. Over the past few films there have been flops like Lone Ranger and John Carter which received a lot of attention regarding their finances. 

• Like 1

Just now, Total Treecall said:

Eh, last year Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending and Pan were all making headlines about their losses. Over the past few films there have been flops like Lone Ranger and John Carter which received a lot of attention regarding their finances. 

I suppose, but then those were rare exceptions because those only got attention for their losses and not because audiences rejected them (which was expected of all of them by the time they opened). Stealth's bombing was a big thing that resulted in think pieces when now it would be greeted with the same level indifference that Gods of Egypt is looking to be (the latter is looking to flop for the same exact reason the former did: it looks like shit).

8 hours ago, cookie said:

Will there even be critic screenings for this?

There is, today i think.

This film gets negative comments everywhere i dont know what headlines it must make, it hasnt been released to see how much it lost and they havent watched it yet. They make fun only of the tv spot.

Only a review from asia has been online.

Plus the wrap article wrote they money they too back/didnt spend before go to presales are 46% so the real money it has to get back WW is 75mil , 65 mil OS and 10 mil dom.

Nobody will loose much it will get articles only for the whitewashing

11 minutes ago, Hermia said:

There is, today i think.

This film gets negative comments everywhere i dont know what headlines it must make, it hasnt been released to see how much it lost and they havent watched it yet. They make fun only of the tv spot.

Only a review from asia has been online.

Plus the wrap article wrote they money they too back/didnt spend before go to presales are 46% so the real money it has to get back WW is 75mil , 65 mil OS and 10 mil dom.

Nobody will loose much it will get articles only for the whitewashing

Didn't the director already apologize for whitewashing? :lol:

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Didn't the director already apologize for whitewashing? :lol:

Whitewashing/racial articles get many clicks. No way they will leave this opportunity.

1 hour ago, picores said:

140m budget??!! LOL. There wont be this level of BOMB this year. I cant believe Alex Proyas made I Robot. That was a pretty enjoyable summer blockbuster. This turd takes ridiculousness to a new level.

Actually no, it's 75 mil in reality and from that 10 mil in USA..there are films with way more risk.

If it does make John Carter numbers it would be success.

To be honest i don't believe it will make more than 30-40mil dom, if it makes a 7 mil OW i will not be surprised.