Neo

Gods of Egypt | Feb 26, 2016 | IMAX release confirmed

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Unlikely. They'll just focus more on making "acclaimed" movies like Sicario instead.

I doubt that. I think it will end. Weinstein is also slowly putting it away. They even already announced they will make less movies.

Just now, CJohn said:

I doubt that. I think it will end. Weinstein is also slowly putting it away. They even already announced they will make less movies.

Weinstein has been having money troubles for more than half a decade now (why else do you think so many of their movies end up getting delayed like the Amityville thing?), and now he's drying up on the awards scene as well (most likely because everyone's caught on to his tactics). Lionsgate has been around for 20 years and didn't get into the blockbuster scene until this decade. Plus now they have different divisions that will always keep the cash coming. They are the closest thing to a "seventh big studio" and will be fine.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Weinstein has been having money troubles for more than half a decade now (why else do you think so many of their movies end up getting delayed like the Amityville thing?), and now he's drying up on the awards scene as well (most likely because everyone's caught on to his tactics). Lionsgate has been around for 20 years and didn't get into the blockbuster scene until this decade. Plus now they have different divisions that will always keep the cash coming. They are the closest thing to a "seventh big studio" and will be fine.

They are very far away from the big 6 even on a bad year of one of them. And I still believe that they will close their movie division. I am not saying it will happen next year. But in 10 years or something it wouldn't surprise me. 

Just now, CJohn said:

They are very far away from the big 6 even on a bad year of one of them. And I still believe that they will close their movie division. I am not saying it will happen next year. But in 10 years or something it wouldn't surprise me. 

They finished right behind Paramount last year. Just saying.

Like, I know it's your thing to prematurely dance on graves, but...

I think Lionsgate is going to struggle if they can't find another Hunger Games-sized tentpole franchise to latch on to (their revenue is going to drop big time this year), but I'd be hesitant to say they're doomed just yet.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They finished right behind Paramount last year. Just saying.

Like, I know it's your thing to prematurely dance on graves, but...

You are proving my point. Even on a bad year Paramount and Sony still beat them. 

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

You are proving my point. Even on a bad year Paramount and Sony still beat them. 

Paramount only beat them by $1M. $1M. That's not exactly something to crow about.

Actually this and The Last Witch Hunter (among other movies) were really produced by Summit (which Lionsgate acquired a few years ago) and only really handle marketing and distribution for their movies via their deal with minimal to no production input. So the damage to them will be minimal. Summit is the one that's likely to get shuttered at the rate they're going though. But Lionsgate will be very much fine.

18 hours ago, cookie said:

Will there even be critic screenings for this?

2 hours ago, RichWS said:

WHERE ARE MY REVIEWS

I have not seen this mentioned in this thread as a possible explanation.  These tweets are about a week old now, but still relevant that could explain the lack of critic reviews at the moment.

Jeff Sneider:

LOL Alert: Lionsgate forcing critics to agree not to publish in reviews any element of GODS OF EGYPT that would be considered a ‘spoiler.'

Isaac Feldberg:

Lionsgate's making critics sign NDAs before watching GODS OF EGYPT. As if the buzz around that movie could get any worse than it is already.

Edited by Outrageous!

Lionsgate has Now You See Me, which they can turn into a big name series. They've got Power Rangers. They can make these on mid size budgets and have successful blockbuster results. They've already had a success with Dirty Grandpa this year, they will be fine. You can make money without having a 400M/year hunger games franchise.

• Like 1

Well i googled for reviews and there are two Asian and one Indian reviewer who liked the film.

Western critics will slaughter it for sure, lionsgate doesn't help with the attitude.

http://asia361.com/2016/02/23/movie-review-the-gods-of-egypt/

http://skjbollywoodnews.com/2016/02/gods-of-egypt-movie-review-it-is-the-baap-of-baahubali/4157795.html

http://news.yahoo.com/review-gods-of-egypt-is-a-fun-light-hearted-004406133.html

Edit one from Netherlands, it's so and so for him, from what i understand using google translation

http://nl.ign.com/gods-of-egypt/87155/review/gods-of-egypt-filmreview?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2nd edit bad review

http://www.fmoviemag.com/gods-of-egypt-review/

Edited by Hermia

54 minutes ago, Total Treecall said:

Lionsgate has Now You See Me, which they can turn into a big name series. They've got Power Rangers. They can make these on mid size budgets and have successful blockbuster results. They've already had a success with Dirty Grandpa this year, they will be fine. You can make money without having a 400M/year hunger games franchise.

Not to mention, something like this is a smart bet (as long as you cover almost all expenses): sure, it's a long shot, but if it does break out to some degree, you have a new low-level franchise that plays well WW and those things are gold. And if it doesn't, you're not out tons of money.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

Not to mention, something like this is a smart bet (as long as you cover almost all expenses): sure, it's a long shot, but if it does break out to some degree, you have a new low-level franchise that plays well WW and those things are gold. And if it doesn't, you're not out tons of money.

Exactly. Yes, it now looks to be a bomb, but they played their cards right and have as little to lose as they can.