Impact

Best Visual Effects-2012

You never know. Life of Pi, particularly, is going to be incredibly CG heavy.

True, but let's take last year for example, Hugo an Academy favourite snatched the prize from Planet of the Apes. Not saying Hugo's effects weren't good but PotA had revolutionary effects with regards to the Apes. And on a side note still pissed Tree of Life disn't get nominated for special effects, now if you want revolutionary special effects, it's tree of life. And to rip it off the generic fare that's impressive but standard got nommed. Life of Pi looks CF heavy but it probably won't have anything already done many times before, and nothing that isb't really standard visual effects.

That actually looks like it could have good visuals.Random fact: No best picture nomination has ever lost in this field to a movie not nominated for BP.

Also keep that in mind right here

The Tree of Life should have been nominated. The Lacrimosa scene had incredible visual fx

And the fact it wasn't CGI, is just mind blowing. Everything done with real supplies, a whole lot of different camera effects, and experimentation.

True, but let's take last year for example, Hugo an Academy favourite snatched the prize from Planet of the Apes. Not saying Hugo's effects weren't good but PotA had revolutionary effects with regards to the Apes.And on a side note still pissed Tree of Life disn't get nominated for special effects, now if you want revolutionary special effects, it's tree of life. And to rip it off the generic fare that's impressive but standard got nommed.Life of Pi looks CF heavy but it probably won't have anything already done many times before, and nothing that isb't really standard visual effects.

Hear, hear !Weta Digital's work on ROTPOTA is incredible, no other studio could have done it, none !Hugo was great but come on !!!! Edited by The Futurist

TA, you wouldn't beleive the complexity of this movie SFX wise, most of New York is CG people !!!

I think that is pretty clear to people who understand how modern blockbusters are made. No one serious about movies really thinks Thor and Loki were battling on top of a sky scraper or that they photographed dozens of blocks of a NYC before inserting a digital Iron Man (those shots would not be possible or insanely expensive). Making cityscapes in CG that look very realistic is becoming common in major blockbusters. An academy award for visual effects needs to be groundbreaking. In this respect, Tree of Life's (which someone else mentioned) use of chemical composition was pretty stunning and original.

I think that is pretty clear to people who understand how modern blockbusters are made. No one serious about movies really thinks Thor and Loki were battling on top of a sky scraper or that they photographed dozens of blocks of a NYC before inserting a digital Iron Man (those shots would not be possible or insanely expensive). Making cityscapes in CG that look very realistic is becoming common in major blockbusters. An academy award for visual effects needs to be groundbreaking. In this respect, Tree of Life's (which someone else mentioned) use of chemical composition was pretty stunning and original.

This. Which is why I think, especially like half a year since the ceremonies, and revisiting the films, that Hugo, despite my personal feelings that ROTPOTA should've won for it's revolutionary effects, wasn't an undeserving winner, as Hugo took VFX in a different direction than most of us usually envision VFX to be, and took it to something that we didn't expect.
  • Like 1

This. Which is why I think, especially like half a year since the ceremonies, and revisiting the films, that Hugo, despite my personal feelings that ROTPOTA should've won for it's revolutionary effects, wasn't an undeserving winner, as Hugo took VFX in a different direction than most of us usually envision VFX to be, and took it to something that we didn't expect.

I agree, Hugo was absolutely stunning and definitely groundbreaking. The whole film was filled with groundbreaking VFX and more importantly, the effects were completely integrated into the story which made it so successful. ROTPOTA was also brilliant and groundbreaking in terms VFX. It stood on the shoulders of Avatar and pushed it into a new direction. That film really exemplifies how Avatar was truly a game changer and Apes totally helped to advance the state of the art.