hasanahmad

Thursday Box Office 5/17/2012 Avengers 6.2 (402M) Dictator 2.8 (7M) DS 1.7 (38M)

The weekend numbers are out for Battleship already? It's 8:30 on the West Coast in the US. How did you get the numbers already? :)

The midnight numbers are very weak. Did you saw the movie Baumer?

The weekend numbers are out for Battleship already? It's 8:30 on the West Coast in the US. How did you get the numbers already? :)

A rival exec must've phoned him

No I haven't seen the movie and I probably won't either, it looks silly to me. But a film with no built in fanbase getting a 400K midnight does not make it a failure. I simply don't understand this line of thinking. How can you determine something off of a midnight showing?

• Like 2

A rival exec must've phoned him

:lol: :lol:

Did you guys see Universal's reaction to the number?

Per Nik Nik,

FRIDAY 7:45 AM: Universal’s Battleship is “certain to be soft” according to my studio sources after it opened with only $420K midnights from 1,074 theaters. That’s weaker than Warner Bros’ underperforming Dark Shadows last weekend and even Disney’s notorious 2012 bomb John Carter. Universal cautions that “both of those films have a bigger ‘geek base’” whereas the strength of Peter Berg’s military vs aliens actioner is “that it’s the anti-geek, anti-midnight movie of all time”. What does that mean? That the studio is hoping it does well in flyover country. The patriotic pic already has made $220M internationally, thus mitigating its $209+ budget and advance bad buzz in North America where Marvel’s mega-juggernaut The Avengers from Disney is still sucking all the air out of the box office.

No I haven't seen the movie and I probably won't either, it looks silly to me. But a film with no built in fanbase getting a 400K midnight does not make it a failure. I simply don't understand this line of thinking. How can you determine something off of a midnight showing?

That is why I already said sometimes that BS, unlike DS or JC, doesn't have a fanbase. Edited by CJohn

:lol: :lol:

Did you guys see Universal's reaction to the number?

Per Nik Nik,

FRIDAY 7:45 AM: Universal’s Battleship is “certain to be soft” according to my studio sources after it opened with only $420K midnights from 1,074 theaters. That’s weaker than Warner Bros’ underperforming Dark Shadows last weekend and even Disney’s notorious 2012 bomb John Carter. Universal cautions that “both of those films have a bigger ‘geek base’” whereas the strength of Peter Berg’s military vs aliens actioner is “that it’s the anti-geek, anti-midnight movie of all time”. What does that mean? That the studio is hoping it does well in flyover country. The patriotic pic already has made $220M internationally, thus mitigating its $209+ budget and advance bad buzz in North America where Marvel’s mega-juggernaut The Avengers from Disney is still sucking all the air out of the box office.

Worst spin ever. Seriously. They should have just said that the movie doesn't have a fanbase, unlike DS or JC.

I think it's the Rhianna factor that's killing Battleship. I love a summer popcorn movie, but she looks terrible in the trailer and makes the whole movie seem like a joke.

What makes the whole movie seem like a joke is that it's named after a board game :lol:

Wrath of the Titans did 1m+ in midnights. 400k for Battleship, although it isn't a sequel, isn't good. I've had it well below 30m all week and that's where it's heading. I'm interested to see what Dictator does today. I didn't expect anything big from Wednesday/Thursday but today's take should tell us where WOM is headed.

What makes the whole movie seem like a joke is that it's named after a board game :lol:

Yeah, and the fact that they went through all this trouble to make this fucking idiotic movie, and don't even include the classic "You sunk my Battleship!" line. Are you kidding me?! That infuriates me. If you're going to go through with this campy bullshit then the least you can do is go all in. :rant: :rant:
  • Like 2

But it also has another meaning,

also used in the movie

Summer is going to be boring thanks to Avengers sucking the life out of the box office.

When movies people actually want to see like MiB3 and Prometheus open it'll pick back up
  • Like 1

Yeah, and the fact that they went through all this trouble to make this fucking idiotic movie, and don't even include the classic "You sunk my Battleship!" line. Are you kidding me?! That infuriates me. If you're going to go through with this campy bullshit then the least you can do is go all in. :rant: :rant:

Had they put Liam Neeson saying that with an epic scene after it, it would have locked at least 50M OW.

Summer is going to be boring thanks to Avengers sucking the life out of the box office.

I agree. I'm going under 300m for TDKR and under 150m for ASM. :rolleyes:It's ridiculous to assume Avengers is going to suck the life out of everything this summer just because two movies that opened in Avengers's wake (and would probably have underperformed anyway) aren't making much money. Wait for everything in June to underperform (which it won't) before saying that.
  • Like 1