filmscholar

BAD BOYS FOR LIF3 | Jan 17 2020 | IT'S OFFICIAL: #1 DOMESTIC 2020

Actually Will is an artist. He was a rapper/musician 1st than he got into acting with Television and now film. He conquered the 3 art forms right there (Music/Television/Film). But because of his success he has a microscope over his career. If Will Flops, it's Big News. When certain other actors flops, not as big news. So he does have to be strategic about the roles he chooses. He's not different than other Big Hollywood stars that do it.

Rappers are people like Wu Tang Clan, Nas, Biggie, Pac and old Jay-z Will Smith is a lollipop rapper

lol i really don;t agree baumer. imagine a kid in africa (cliche example i know) when he hears that you have what to eat tonight, have a laptop, a washing machine etc that kid says "well, why is baumer so stressed? he has all these wonderful things and opportunities and i have nothing to eat today". . i'm sure you have your bad days just like johnny depp and WS. for them eating at a fancy restaurant probably means nothing just like you having dinner on your table tonight is a normal thing. but what about that kid in africa? it's all relative. the higher up you the more of a stressful life you lead. just my opinion

Your poor kid in Africa analogy actually destroys your own argument, as it's the epitome of why Will Smith has to bite the bullet and put up with any 1 percenter First World problem that comes his way.

well, said. . i can't imagine the stress. they are responsible not only for their career, but thousands of jobs. "with great success comes great responsibility" look at johnny depp..his last films didn;t do too great and people are already saying he's a flop. lol imagine if the lone ranger doesn't deliver.... but in a way they put themselves in this position...only going after big budget movies. it's a machine...you can't really stop it. i'm sure the studios beg him for another pirates...lol. can he say "NO"? these people helped him make his career. it's tricky

Yes but Johnny has had more Flops than success well let me take that back since most of his flops were smaller budget films. Johnny Deep doesn't have the blockbuster resume that Will has. So if Johnny flops, it's not as big of a deal. Outside of Pirates, Johnny doesn't have that many 100 Million Blockbusters. Now if Tom Cruise Flops, it's Big News, everyone is breathing down his neck. If M:I4 flopped, they would of been talking about the demise of Tom Cruise. Will is in that same boat. When you've had that much success, sadly you just can't take anything. Sure maybe artistically Django would of been good for Will to take but let's say the movie does Bomb (I don't think it will but hypothetically), Will would get the blame more than QT. Look at how people are killing Taylor for Battleship and JC. Now Imagine if Will Smith headline those movies to those results, people would talking about how his career is over. So again I understand sometimes Will chooses the Gimmicky roles but he's under a different microscope. Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

Rappers are people like Wu Tang Clan, Nas, Biggie, Pac and old Jay-z

Will Smith is a lollipop rapper

Yes but Will has a lot of respect in the rap game. Matter of fact NaS help will in writing some songs on "Big Willie Style" including "Gettin Jiggy Wit It". There is a video of Tupac dancing with Will's future Wife Jada Pinkett to "Parents Just Don't Understand" which was the 1st song to ever win a Grammy for a rapper. Jay Z and Will are good fiends so Will is considered a Legend in Rap.

Sure his music was "PG" compared to other rappers that are more hard core but that didn't make the music bad. He sold a lot of records and again has respect from his peers.

A Matter of fact his album "He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper" is considered one of greatest rap albums ever and has made many greatest rap albums list. His singles like "Summertime" are Classics in the rap community. His album "Big Willie Style" is one of the highest selling rap albums ever. So call him a "lollipop" rapper if you will, he was a successful one at that. I think what's more amazing is how this guy started out as a RAPPER and ended up having a Hit TV Show and become the Biggest Star in Hollywood. A Rapper. It's still mind blowing.

You're only an artist if you care about the art, Will doesn't. His music catalog is abysmal phoned-in lightweight nonsense, and he knows it.

Posted Image

*Won the 1st Rap Grammy

*One of the highest selling rap albums of the 1980's, Will Smith was one of Hip hop 1st Platinum artist along with LL Cool J, Run DMC and The Beastie Boys

*In 1998, the album was selected as one of The Source magazine's 100 Best Rap Albums.

I remember very vividly after "Bad Boys", "Independence Day" ,"Men In black" and "Enemy of the State" in 95,96,97, 98 (All Hits). When Will Dropped "Wild Wide West" the movie he chose to do over the "The Matrix" people were saying he was done cause it bombed so hard. It's a different microscope people.

Posted Image

lol i really don;t agree baumer. imagine a kid in africa (cliche example i know) when he hears that you have what to eat tonight, have a laptop, a washing machine etc that kid says "well, why is baumer so stressed? he has all these wonderful things and opportunities and i have nothing to eat today". . i'm sure you have your bad days just like johnny depp and WS. for them eating at a fancy restaurant probably means nothing just like you having dinner on your table tonight is a normal thing. but what about that kid in africa? it's all relative. the higher up you the more of a stressful life you lead. just my opinion

There's a difference between leading a blue collar life with a household income of 100-200K and a life where there are no financial worries. More money more problems? I don't buy it. I have to worry about my job, downsizing, my car payment, mortgage, my kids going to school, life insurance, bills and so on. Will has none of that to worry about. He could never work a day in his life ever again and his great grandkids X10 won't have to worry about a thing.

Who is the highest paid actor in Hollywood? I've seen some lists that seemed to name Leonardo DiCaprio, but I'd figure it would be the powerhouses Pitt, Depp, Smith and Cruise.In all of your honest opnions people, who do you all think should be the highest paid actors?

Edited by Warhorse

Who is the highest paid actor in Hollywood? I've seen some lists that seemed to name Leonardo DiCaprio, but I'd figure it would be the powerhouses Pitt, Depp, Smith and Cruise.In all of your honest opnions people, who do you all think should be the highest paid actors?

Its Smith Leo happened to have a very lucrative 2010 thanks to his Shutter Island 20 mil paycheck and gross participation from Inception Depp also kicked ass past few years thanks to his gross participation from Pirates and Alice Cruise is looking to make a major comeback paycheck with MI4 becoming a success RDJ is very lucrative but still doesn't command as huge amounts as some would think ... he will though

Its SmithLeo happened to have a very lucrative 2010 thanks to his Shutter Island 20 mil paycheck and gross participation from InceptionDepp also kicked ass past few years thanks to his gross participation from Pirates and AliceCruise is looking to make a major comeback paycheck with MI4 becoming a successRDJ is very lucrative but still doesn't command as huge amounts as some would think ... he will though

RDJ received 20M to do The Avengers, and another 30M of the box office profits.

Who is the highest paid actor in Hollywood? I've seen some lists that seemed to name Leonardo DiCaprio, but I'd figure it would be the powerhouses Pitt, Depp, Smith and Cruise.

In all of your honest opnions people, who do you all think should be the highest paid actors?

Taylor Kitsch :P

Ok I think there really need to up the ante since this is the last film of the series. Bigger gun fights, a really cool villain and like I said introduce a younger Bad Boy to join the team. I think Both Joe Pantiliano and Gabrielle Union should return. But I also think this one should have a little more depth, we need to learn more about Mike and Marcus on a personal level. They kinda touched on that in part II. I went on youtube and this scene from part 2 still makes me laugh till this day. It has over 3 Million hits. They also have to keep the humor, Bad Boys are so humorous:The Store scene from part 1 was funny too:

Edited by filmscholar

These are also my favor shots, Love when Bay brings the camera around like this. Also "Shit Just got Real" has kinda become an internet thing that has taken a life of it's own. Please bring back Mark Mancina to do the score, he did an amazing score for the original Bad Boys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6qnD7ewn8gBad Boys (Scene starts at 2:35)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH3JQjcweMBad Boys II

• Like 1

What I read on forbes recently was Tom Cruise making 75M for his MI movie. Leonardo DiCaprio was paid 50M with his hit, Inception in 2010. Last year he took less than 2M for J.Edgar.Actors like Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio (Brad Pitt still?) usually are taking 20M for each leading role and once in a while making more off of a hit. RDJ hasn't been paid 20M outside of franchises or SH movies. He will get there I think.I predict next year's list will have Taylor Kitsch on the top with 200M.

Edited by Alana

What I read on forbes recently was Tom Cruise making 75M for his MI movie. Leonardo DiCaprio was paid 50M with his hit, Inception in 2010. Last year he took less than 2M for J.Edgar.Actors like Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio (Brad Pitt still?) usually are taking 20M for each leading role and once in a while making more off of a hit. RDJ hasn't been paid 20M outside of franchises or SH movies. He will get there I think.I predict next year's list will have Taylor Kitsch on the top with 200M.

I know Leo got a percent of the fInceptions gross and I am guessing Tom did the same thing for MI4. Sign lower than usually would and than put in the contract % of WW gross.

Tom Cruise took a big cut for MIGP where he was paid $12.5m upfront plus percentage of gross, MI3 was the film where he was paid $75m but I imagine that included gross percentage too but a bigger upfront salary.Bad Boys III could work but they'd need to keep the budget to a sensible level but I imagine Smith and Bay's salaries alone would be a good chunk of the budget. Bad Boys II cost $130m, Bad Boys III should IMO cost $140-150m but I imagine it would nearer $200m which is crazy for an R rated action comedy.

Tom and Will are the highest paid actors in Hollywood cause they also get producer credit on their films most of the time. Leo had a good year recently. Johnny only cause of the Pirates films but he's not normally a 20 Million man. RDJ is only getting up there cause of Sherlock and Ironman/Avengers. But the Top 2 are Tom and Will.