Jack Nevada

Best director 2012

Chris NolanPTAPeter JacksonAng LeeBenh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern WIld)

Nolan, and Jackson aren't both going to get in, and that's assuming one of them does. I'd say Swap Jackson for Haneke, and Zeitlin for Hooper, and your predictions are looking pretty good. Personally, I'd swap Ang Lee out for Spielberg, but he gets the benefit of doubt with Life of Pi, which could be a huge success.

Nolan, and Jackson aren't both going to get in, and that's assuming one of them does. I'd say Swap Jackson for Haneke, and Zeitlin for Hooper, and your predictions are looking pretty good. Personally, I'd swap Ang Lee out for Spielberg, but he gets the benefit of doubt with Life of Pi, which could be a huge success.

I think Academy might take a break from Spielberg since he was just nominated last year. Lincoln is gonna have to be that much better. I don't think a foreign film will get nominated over USA films when it has it's own category. If A Seperation can't get a nom, I doubt Haneke's will. And I am pretty sure that Nolan and Jackson can get in. Edited by JackO

Peter Jackson has gotten enough undeserved love from the academy for his TLOTR-movies. He wont receive the same treatment yet again. Baz Luhrmann perhaps, for the The Great Gatsby. Personally I'm rooting for Tarantino. QT is, imo, one of the best filmmakers of all time, and he deserves to have an Oscar for director.

Man this year is super crowded, much like 2010 was. I have a feeling Nolan will get a snub again. PJ's probably out until TH2. QT, Lee, Wes Anderson, and Luhrmann are on the border. I say PTA, Spielberg (if Lincoln lives up to hype), and Hooper are pretty solid for now.

I think Academy might take a break from Spielberg since he was just nominated last year. Lincoln is gonna have to be that much better. I don't think a foreign film will get nominated over USA films when it has it's own category. If A Seperation can't get a nom, I doubt Haneke's will. And I am pretty sure that Nolan and Jackson can get in.

Spielberg got snubbed last year for War Horse, didn't get that Director nom. And, A Separation was Iranian, there was no way that would've gotten a director nom, Haneke on the other hand is french, makes it about 100x easier right off the bat to get nommed. Plus, the Academy's Foreign Language selection committee of selected New York Members didn't really like A Separation as a whole, and an intervention by the Academy executive committee had to be staged to get A Separation that nomination. There's probably not even enough votes to get one of them in, let alone both.

Man this year is super crowded, much like 2010 was. I have a feeling Nolan will get a snub again. PJ's probably out until TH2. QT, Lee, Wes Anderson, and Luhrmann are on the border. I say PTA, Spielberg (if Lincoln lives up to hype), and Hooper are pretty solid for now.

PTA's a lock, not possible he misses the nomination with The Master. Wes Anderson probably won't, I get the feeling the Academy doesn't like him, his work, and his style very much. Nolan could get in..... but if he couldn't get in with Inception then TDKR is a very shakey bet. PJ's not getting nominated for either of TH's, it's just not gonna happen. Spielberg will get nommed if he tries something new with Lincoln, and he won't if he just sticks to tried and tested, sentimental, and sappy like he did with War Horse. Hooper, based on what I've seen, and heard probably already has his foot in the door, and probably a good bet for a nomination. I'd say at the moment:1. PTA2. Hooper (My Predicted Winner)3. Spielberg4. Haneke5. Luhrmann (Based on the trailer)/Nolan

Considering war horse turned out to be boring, I'm glad spielberg didn't get a nom on name alone. If the early reports of scientologists not liking the Master are true, PTA might miss, but I just can't imagine how they'd not nominate him for director.

PTA's a lock, not possible he misses the nomination with The Master. Wes Anderson probably won't, I get the feeling the Academy doesn't like him, his work, and his style very much. Nolan could get in..... but if he couldn't get in with Inception then TDKR is a very shakey bet. PJ's not getting nominated for either of TH's, it's just not gonna happen. Spielberg will get nommed if he tries something new with Lincoln, and he won't if he just sticks to tried and tested, sentimental, and sappy like he did with War Horse. Hooper, based on what I've seen, and heard probably already has his foot in the door, and probably a good bet for a nomination. I'd say at the moment:1. PTA2. Hooper (My Predicted Winner)3. Spielberg4. Haneke5. Luhrmann (Based on the trailer)/Nolan

I doubt Hooper will win twice so soon. If movie does, than there will be a movie/director split. PTA or someone else wins BD and Les Mis movie.

I doubt Hooper will win twice so soon. If movie does, than there will be a movie/director split. PTA or someone else wins BD and Les Mis movie.

Hooper is the type of Person that I can definitely seeing The Academy awarding twice.

Anything is possible though the year is really crowded and Les Mis needs to be trully incredible and have all the cirtical precursor backing for him to pull the trick twice while facing really tough competition.Besides, they should ban movie/director split. How cna a movie be the best if director isn`t? or vice versa. They should be voted together but give individual award. So instead of Best Picture = list and Best Director = list, have Best Picture and its director = list so nobody can vote for movie #3 and director of the movie #2.

Edited by fishnets

Anything is possible though the year is really crowded and Les Mis needs to be trully incredible and have all the cirtical precursor backing for him to pull the trick twice while facing really tough competition.Besides, they should ban movie/director split. How cna a movie be the best if director isn`t? or vice versa. They should be voted together but give individual award. So instead of Best Picture = list and Best Director = list, have Best Picture and its director = list so nobody can vote for movie #3 and director of the movie #2.

The Picture can still be the best picture overall even if the director isn't the best, and vice versa. The director could've done the best job of the year, but his movie result could still have been not the best, due to other factors.

Spielberg got snubbed last year for War Horse, didn't get that Director nom. And, A Separation was Iranian, there was no way that would've gotten a director nom, Haneke on the other hand is french, makes it about 100x easier right off the bat to get nommed. Plus, the Academy's Foreign Language selection committee of selected New York Members didn't really like A Separation as a whole, and an intervention by the Academy executive committee had to be staged to get A Separation that nomination.There's probably not even enough votes to get one of them in, let alone both.

Ok, the last foreign film to get a best director nom was in 2007. and before that 03. Its not common enough to proclaim it a lock. On the other hand, what sets Hooper apart from the other directors? He made them sing live? is that really enough to take down a guy introducing Imax as a film medium and being the last 30/70 mm blockbuster or a guy who is introducing 48 fps? Oscars are about the bigger picture, not the pomp and circumstance.

Ok, the last foreign film to get a best director nom was in 2007. and before that 03. Its not common enough to proclaim it a lock. On the other hand, what sets Hooper apart from the other directors? He made them sing live? is that really enough to take down a guy introducing Imax as a film medium and being the last 30/70 mm blockbuster or a guy who is introducing 48 fps? Oscars are about the bigger picture, not the pomp and circumstance.

You've got to be kidding me. The Oscars should be about rewarding the Best Picture of the year, and often they get close, but they don't really get it right too often. And yes, because Nolan using insisting that his movie uses 30mm/70mm is really groundbreaking, and worthy of rewards. The IMAX I will conceded should be rewarded, but it really isn't a big enough achievement to be celebrated in Directing, which should be about skill, and execution, not the gimmicks you use. Same thin with TH, 48 fps is a gimmick, not a demonstration of skill that's worthy of reward. TDKR's IMAX will be rewarded in Cinematography, and Visual Effects, not to worry. Hooper, because he's Academy comfort food, they like Hooper, and his style, and frankly that's the only reason I'm predicting him to win over PTA. PTA isn't comfort food, and The Master is far from the Academy's preferred genre. Hooper, because he seems to be pulling, and putting something together where no one has succeeded in doing so before, kind of like how PJ managed to piece together LOTR from something that usually normally would've failed.

What does 48 fps look like?I don't get it. Is it like those weird TVs that always look like soap operas? Real life moving speeds?

Reportedly it looks so real that people can recongnise that it's sets. Edited by riczhang