Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Okay, this is a bit stupid math, but assume that BH6 opened over Thanksgiving and had the same OW size. It's somewhat coincidental but it's OW gross was almost exactly 3x its Thanksgiving Weekend gross.

Then assume that the percentage drops remained the same, despite the larger size of the grosses. Big if, of course, but it's a simple switch.

So tripling everything from The Wedensday before Thanksgiving onwards gives us:

Actual        Adjusted    Total

Pre-OW Friday        7,198,486    21,595,458    21,595,458
Week1            21,015,479    63,046,437    84,641,895
Week2            9,761,770    29,285,310    113,927,205
Week3            7,698,414    23,095,242    137,022,447
Week4            8,199,155    24,597,465    161,619,912
Weekend5        5,006,485    15,019,455    176,639,367
  • Like 4

The strength of BH6 over the past few weeks has been really impressive. A Thanksgiving release might have put $250m in play for it.

If Penguins and BH6 swapped,

BH6

1. $64 million/$88.5 million 
  2. $30.5 million ($128 million)
  3. $24 million ($160 million)
  4. $14 million ($179 million)
  5. $16 million ($209 million)
  6. $13 million ($238 million)
  7. $8 million ($250 million)
  8. $4.5 million/$6 million ($257 million)
  9. $2.5 million ($260 million)
  10. $1.5 million ($262 million)

$268 million DOM total

Yeah it would have made $50-60 million more if it did a Thanksgiving release due to the Christmas/New Year's boost. 

• Like 3

Some one edit the thread title. I didn't even realize this had passed 200 million. I'll probably wait til Blu Ray/red box to see this.

The Lego Movie is the only animated film I felt comfortable enough to watch in theaters the last few years.

Edited by Eddy Targaryen

The strength of BH6 over the past few weeks has been really impressive. A Thanksgiving release might have put $250m in play for it.

I really can't figure out why Disney didn't put it there in the first place after Frozen's success. They could have totally muscled DWA out of the spot as I guarantee they would have been the one to budge. I think this could have gone as high as 280 even.

• Like 1

I really can't figure out why Disney didn't put it there in the first place after Frozen's success. They could have totally muscled DWA out of the spot as I guarantee they would have been the one to budge. I think this could have gone as high as 280 even.

Maybe it'd be too close to BOTFA or ITW for their taste. But yeah if they wanted BH6 during Thanksgiving it wouldve forced DWA to move.

• Like 1

Penguins was coming after M3, the highest grossing Madagascar, which provided DWA some leverage. Also, BH6 is not a princess musical like Frozen. If it had been Giants or Moana, then I'm sure WDAS would've felt gutsier to take on PoM head on. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but if they'd decided to move it early enough, they wouldn't have been trying to muscle in on PoM, but instead would have been going head-to-head with Home. Even if I'm feeling a lot more anticipation for that than possibly anyone else around, I don't think DWA would have left it up in a direct competition.

The PoM/Home switch still would have happened, but they'd have dropped PoM into the early November slot. It probably would have done better, too.

• Like 1

Wonderful! Amazing! Crazy! Surprising! Encouraging! B)  I'm so glad BH6 is successful, and I can't wait to watch it in France in 6 weeks :P

Have to admit I'am not a fan of your display pic, the only anime this season I tried that I genuinely hated. I cringe just looking at him!

grrrrrr another month until BH6 comes out here.

same here in Korea. don't understand why the release schedules are all so over the place worldwide.

like would it be benefited from it or hurt? really hope this could do $650M+ WW.. but not looking promising.

Edited by yjs
  • Like 1

same here in Korea. don't understand why the release schedules are all so over the place worldwide.

like would it be benefited from it or hurt? really hope this could do $650M+ WW.. but not looking promising.

I have no idea why they chose to do it like that. Given the globally connected world we live in (i.e. the internet), it makes a lot more sense to release a movie everywhere at the same time (with a few exceptions) to get the hype as strong as possible. I haven't actually looked into the numbers but I don't think movies generally benefit from severely delayed releases.

Don't know what it's like in Korea but Disney movies never have this level of delay in the UK, it's really weird.

I have no idea why they chose to do it like that. Given the globally connected world we live in (i.e. the internet), it makes a lot more sense to release a movie everywhere at the same time (with a few exceptions) to get the hype as strong as possible. I haven't actually looked into the numbers but I don't think movies generally benefit from severely delayed releases.

Don't know what it's like in Korea but Disney movies never have this level of delay in the UK, it's really weird.

Actually this is pretty normal for Disney, Frozen is the exception because of its winter theme and also the lack of competition. Wreck it Ralph, Tangled and The Princess and the Frog were all released in late January/early February as was The Muppets and all did great. Big Hero 6 only faces Shaun the Sheep as competition whereas November/December it would have faced more competition Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1