diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

What happened is word of mouth just isn't good for this. Everything was stacked in it's favour and it failed to deliver. 

I would wait until the weekend before declaring it a failure. Also, what happens with 1M+ presales?

You'd be surprised guys, the online network is extremely well connected here and word of mouth spreads really fast, especially since the country is so small. 10 million admissions isn't a lock in my opinion. 

What happened is word of mouth just isn't good for this. Everything was stacked in it's favour and it failed to deliver. 

There has never in the history of film been a movie where WOM kicked in after one day, it's just not feasible. It also wouldn't account for the massive presales that have been accumulated during today. The better question would be has any movie opening outside of school holidays managed to do days as big as this. If not then maybe there is just a limit of how high the attendance can be for a film on a weekday outside of school holidays.

• Like 1

You'd be surprised guys, the online network is extremely well connected here and word of mouth spreads really fast, especially since the country is so small. 10 million admissions isn't a lock in my opinion. 

How is that possible with 3M+ OW and 2nd weekend being a long weekend. Plus it has little competition.

You may be right but I'm going to wait until Saturday numbers before jumping the gun. If it hits 1M+ admissions we're back in business. 

There has never in the history of film been a movie where WOM kicked in after one day, it's just not feasible. It also wouldn't account for the massive presales that have been accumulated during today. The better question would be has any movie opening outside of school holidays managed to do days as big as this. If not then maybe there is just a limit of how high the attendance can be for a film on a weekday outside of school holidays.

its absolutely possible in this social networking era. Korea has among the most advanced networking( fastest LTE speeds and broadband) plus smartphone penetration is highest. Plus everyone is on some social network or other. So WOM can spread fast. For a movie like SM3 it happened after OW, in today's era it can happen faster.

That being said I am not comparing AOU to SM3. its easily the better film.

The extent might be a little different but I've seen word of mouth affecting film runs early on too. It's more dramatic for films that have high public attention and media spotlight. See the opening week for TF4 below:

D-1: 467,413

D-2: 315,479

D-3: 352,122

Day 3 was a Friday, example of toxic word of mouth kicking in real fast. Not saying it's toxic for AoU but if the early reaction was good the jumps would have been higher than this. 

its absolutely possible in this social networking era. Korea has among the most advanced networking( fastest LTE speeds and broadband) plus smartphone penetration is highest. Plus everyone is on some social network or other. So WOM can spread fast. For a movie like SM3 it happened after OW, in today's era it can happen faster.

That being said I am not comparing AOU to SM3. its easily the better film.

Communication can be as fast as possible it still doesn't allow WOM to kick in after one day. Plus if it did then who is buying all these presale tickets, there must have been at least few hundred thousand presale tickets sold Friday unless you think that there were almost no presales for Friday. I would assume people buying presales would be able to see people's reactions to the movie as well.

How is that possible with 3M+ OW and 2nd weekend being a long weekend. Plus it has little competition.

Week 2 I'll give you but I read in the news that there are many films that have undetermined release dates in May. They wanted to see how destructive AoU would be in the box office before setting a date. If AoU looks to be disappointing earlier on they might set a faster release date. 

The extent might be a little different but I've seen word of mouth affecting film runs early on too. It's more dramatic for films that have high public attention and media spotlight. See the opening week for TF4 below:

Day 3 was a Friday, example of toxic word of mouth kicking in real fast. Not saying it's toxic for AoU but if the early reaction was good the jumps would have been higher than this. 

Sorry but, the WoM is beter than with IM3 and that didn't fall. Why the hell on earth would IM3 stay stady and Avangers 2 fail with beter quality.

• Like 1

Communication can be as fast as possible it still doesn't allow WOM to kick in after one day. Plus if it did then who is buying all these presale tickets, there must have been at least few hundred thousand presale tickets sold Friday unless you think that there were almost no presales for Friday. I would assume people buying presales would be able to see people's reactions to the movie as well.

I think impact is seen more among walk ins which has been weak based on saturation numbers. I think pre-sales from fan base will be big during OW. Plus with long weekend ahead I am sure all IMAX and big screens will remain sold out for all shows. So pre-sales alone cannot guarantee mega success. Its the outliers who look at WOM and decide to walk in or not.

If WOM as toxic as you're saying, who really is buying these presale tickets. It's still well over 1M.

Sorry but, the WoM is beter than with IM3 and that didn't fall. Why the hell on earth would IM3 stay stady and Avangers 2 fail with beter quality.

Do you live in SK? If not, how do you know the WOM is better or worse there? Rsyu is our expert in SK box office. I'd rather trust him than anyone else.

• Like 1

Word of mouth probably doesn't really affect people who buy tickets ahead of time though. They most likely intended to see the film no matter what. It really affects people who are on the fence and undetermined (walk up sales basically) and we see that in the poor seat saturation. 

• Like 1