Thor: Love and Thunder

D1 - ₩4,052,993,890 / 382,198 admits

D2 - ₩2,110,699,890 / 196,248 admits

Total - ₩6,189,617,780 / 580,156 admits

CGV Egg at 79% / Naver 7.11 / Megabox 7.7

Gross-wise: -47.9% // Admission-wise: -48.7%

In USD - $1.6M / $4.7M [-48.39%]

Under 14 million Weekend possible?

CGV starts are in, bad news for Thor L&T.

Th4 is starting at 51k up 27.5% from yesterday. Should increase maybe 30% so I am expecting 255k Friday.

That puts total at 833.2k Let's say it jumps 120% on sat and drops 18% on sunday we are looking at an OW of 1850k ish. I don't hink this will get a 2x OW maybe a 1.8? Meaning I think a finish of or below 3.4m is happening.

18 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Jesus is the MCU/ South Korea love story fading after all the poor releases? Seems like it…

So yeah i agree that they are destroying some of the good will, still these OW aren't bad, I mean with great WoM this movie opened to 410k, had a 270k thursday and a 390k friday and sat close to 1m. The problem is they aren't delivering well liked movies atm.

16 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So I believe TG2 could soon recover from the competition from Thor 4? The movie should have sub-40% drop this weakened. 

Tbh a 31.5% drop on thursday means it didn't get hurt that bad. This is partialy helped by bad WoM from TH4, otherwise a 35% would have been more likely. That said I think it will most likely recover a bit more than what it did on thursday / wednesday. Fridays CGV starts at 20k up 66.7% from yesterday. It might have a shot at a 60% increase of thursday. Still the CGV ratio has been extremely low (41.8% means that 42k translates to 100k whilst a normal CGV for friday of 46% would make that CGV  translate to only 91.3k or about 9% lower). So if CGV gets normalized even with a CGV total that's 60-65% higher than thursday it's possible that the admission would only be up 45-55%. And i have no clue when it will normalize, so yeah sorry for that.

• Like 4

It's bullshit.

Thor,one of the most popular Marvel hero in the world(peobably behind only Spiderman,Ironman and Captian Amercia),got sub 4m admissions in South Korea,which is the market thet most love Marvel.

This is Marvrl own problem,they make too much terrible movie in the phase 4 and just lost faith of the fans and make them fell sad....

Wow reception is quite bad in SK, I did not expect it to be this low. Right now on CGV it is joint lowest for an MCU movie along with Eternals. It is doing better than Eternals on Naver but it is still the second lowest for MCU as well as one of the lowest for SH movies ever. 

It is somewhat perplexing given that Eternals rating was bad in India too but Thor's rating so far is actually quite good. I wonder why the big divergence for this particular movie. 

Overall multi from 5day total is likely to be sub 2x. MCU movies with low reception in SK typically end up with sub 2x multi like that of Eternals at 1.89x. Exceptions being Spiderman FFH and GoTG2 which had great reception but sub 2x legs and Shang Chi which had terrible reception but 2.31x legs (it did have super low OW so that would explain it). I'd say that total will be higher than Eternals in the 3.1-3.5m admits region.

07-07 Thursday
1. Thor: Love and Thunder - 196,444 (-48.6%) [580,352]
/ 10,455 Showings
2. Top Gun: Maverick - 100,336 (-0.6%) [3,849,879] / 3,804 showings
3. Decision To Leave - 33,692 (+0.4%) [680,785] / 1,389 Showings
4. The Roundup - 14,068 (+0.4%) [12,503,944] / 805 Showings
5. The Witch: Part 2 - 9,302 (-22.1%) [2,716,822] / 685 Showings

Presale 
1. Thor: Love and Thunder - 362,819
2. Top Gun 2 - 161,837
3. Decision To Leave - 48,481 

• Like 2

Korean Box Office 
 July 7. 

1 🇺🇸 #ThorLoveAndThunderTH $1.6M/ $4.7M ( -48.5% YD)
2 🇺🇸 #TopGunMaverick $780k/$31.6M (-34% vs last Thurs )
3 🇰🇷#DecisionToLeave $270k/ $5.17M  
4 🇰🇷#TheRoundup $110k/ $100.61M 
5 🇰🇷#TheWitch2  $75k/ $21.58M

14 minutes ago, Bruce said:

It's bullshit.

Thor,one of the most popular Marvel hero in the world(peobably behind only Spiderman,Ironman and Captian Amercia),got sub 4m admissions in South Korea,which is the market thet most love Marvel.

This is Marvrl own problem,they make too much terrible movie in the phase 4 and just lost faith of the fans and make them fell sad....

Thor maybe one of the most popular in the world but in SK he is behind a lot of other SH movies. All 3 Thor movies (including Ragnarok) are in the lower half of MCU movies admissions wise in Korea. Doctor Strange 1, Black Panther, Captain Marvel and even Ant Man 2 had more admissions than Thor Ragnarok in Korea. 

MCU is seeing some wild swings in terms of reception in phase 4 for sure. 2 of the phase 4 movies (Black Widow and No Way Home) have been amongst the highest rated SH movies in Korea. Whereas Shang Chi, Eternals and now this are amongst the lowest rated SH movies in Korea. DS2 is in the middle. 

Black Panther 2 being the next movie means the pain for MCU will continue this year at least because the first one was not well liked in SK nor did it do too well (it sits half way in the list of MCU movie admissions wise). 

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

It is somewhat perplexing given that Eternals rating was bad in India too but Thor's rating so far is actually quite good. I wonder why the big divergence for this particular movie. 

I think it actually makes sense actually. SK is never a big fan of Taika Thor. Ragnarok had bad reception here too probably cause too many jokes and most of them didn’t translate well/didn’t fit to the comedy taste of SK audiences. Ragnarok even cannot top the first DS here even tho it was opening bigger than it. 

Now for L&T, I haven’t seen it but many says it doubles down the comedy of Ragnarok so yeah. Plus the middling reception, quality and paces that mirrors DS2 (which also didn’t have good legs) definitely doesn’t help at all. 

15 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Wow reception is quite bad in SK, I did not expect it to be this low. Right now on CGV it is joint lowest for an MCU movie along with Eternals. It is doing better than Eternals on Naver but it is still the second lowest for MCU as well as one of the lowest for SH movies ever. 

Overall multi from 5day total is likely to be sub 2x. MCU movies with low reception in SK typically end up with sub 2x multi like that of Eternals at 1.89x. Exceptions being Spiderman FFH and GoTG2 which had great reception but sub 2x legs and Shang Chi which had terrible reception but 2.31x legs (it did have super low OW so that would explain it). I'd say that total will be higher than Eternals in the 3.1-3.5m admits region.

WoM in Hong Kong is decent as well, not very good, but better than DS2. So I also wonder why the reception is so poor in SK.

13 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

First of all, BMS ratings in India are not at all trustworthy, Infact none of the online ratings are, India is through and through ground market.

Secondly Eternals was a big bore, dull, humorless and having 2 of the worst Marvel leads ever.

But Thor is MASS, Thor is a highly popular character in India, L&T has comedy, action and many moments that bring out cheer from audiences.

Think MCU will still be fine here. Mid DS2 still opened to over 2M admissions and Thor likewise will be close to 2M. The interests are still there. Just the quality for bigger total and legs is lacking. Hopefully in the near future, MCU can corrected themselves and consistently delivers entertaining products with good quality again. Maybe starting with BP2 (not holding too much hope given the first is also not well liked here) or GotG2. If not, then… Rough times ahead I guess to bring back the MCU brand excitement.

7 minutes ago, Claudio said:

I think it actually makes sense actually. SK is never a big fan of Taika Thor. Ragnarok had bad reception here too probably cause too many jokes and most of them didn’t translate well/didn’t fit to the comedy taste of SK audiences. Ragnarok even cannot top the first DS here even tho it was opening bigger than it. 

Now for L&T, I haven’t seen it but many says it doubles down the comedy of Ragnarok so yeah. Plus the middling reception, quality and paces that mirrors DS2 (which also didn’t have good legs) definitely doesn’t help at all. 

I don't think that is true at all. Ragnarok, believe it or not, is the joint highest rated SH movie on CGV alongside Endgame, GoTG2 and AM2. On Naver it is the 5th highest rated MCU movie (6th highest overall based on ratings since 2014). So even if less than average number of people went to see Ragnarok they still loved it a alot.

As for Taika, his last non MCU movie (Jojo Rabbit) is rated higher than any SH movie on CGV at a whopping 98% which is incredible.