Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I honestly feel like this could land positive reviews and it still wouldn't go higher than a mid-$20M opening at best. The interest just doesn't feel there.

I keep saying that Besson's in space opera mode is an acquired taste for mainstream US Audiences.I think it might go up to the mid thirties OW,but I think the idea all along was for Valarien tp makes it's big bucks overseas.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Morieris said:

So regal didn't have the first five minutes in front of homecoming but it had a special trailer .... Was that a techno remix of Coolio's Gangsters Paradise? I loved that. 

Regal isn't one of the chains participating in the preview

22 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Ready for Desplat to save what must be the weakest summer for scores in a long time.

As you seem to know a lot of scores and composeres, what is your favourite soundtrack to a movie?

Science Fiction’s Under-Appreciated Feminist Icon

The French comic series Valérian and Laureline, newly adapted into a summer blockbuster, gave the genre one of its first protagonists to powerfully own her womanhood.

lead_960.jpg?1499458009

Laureline’s creators did not stumble upon this winning combination of traits: Her character has its roots in feminist movements and texts, including Simone de Beauvoir’s foundational work The Second Sex. “You do not read [The Second Sex] with impunity,” Christin told the comics’ artist, Mézières, in 2001 when asked about the inspiration for Laureline. He added that “feminism in the United States” in the mid-20th century and “the rise of women as real protagonists in all fields” had also caught his eye.

Maybe Valerian will be the first movie to benefit from, and copy the success of Wonder Woman?:sparta:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I predicted 45% RT for this, looks like I end up being too generous in the end. 

Are you seriously judging this off of one mixed review when most of the reactions to the movie have been positive so far? :lol: 

The worst reactions to the movie still seem to like it overall.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Are you seriously judging this off of one mixed review when most of the reactions to the movie have been positive so far? :lol: 

The worst reactions to the movie still seem to like it overall.

45% RT kid, I ain't backing down from that prediction. ;)

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

8/19

Just because there will be jokes, that is OW/DOM Total.

You're acting like this is some low-budget incoming horror movie flop.  The film is still getting a relatively strong marketing campaign and awareness for it does exist, along with the potential for reviews to be good (especially with how well it's been received from early reactions so far).  It's also still going to have 3D/PLF ticket prices.  This is not going to barely finish above the original Fifth Element's unadjusted OW.

Edited by That One Guy

Compared to their love for the latest Star Wars, I fear that US critics will nitpick everything in Valerian. And pre-sales numbers are not good.

OS will have to save the sequel. I hope this isn't another King Arthur situation with a Deadline article 'What Went Wrong'...:kitschjob:

20 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

So in other words, one mixed review.  Not indicative of the finished score at all.

Critics Choice does not start updating till there are more than 3 reviews in. 60/100 is not mixed on the site, it is bad. 60 means 1 star on the Critics Choice website.

Just now, grim22 said:

Critics Choice does not start updating till there are more than 3 reviews in. 60/100 is not mixed on the site, it is bad. 60 means 1 star on the Critics Choice website.

If a critic gives it a 3/5, or 6/10, or a B-, would that not count as a 60/100?

Also Cars 3 started with like a 35/100 or something, and The Last Knight started with a 90/100 or so.  In short: Critics Choice is useless at first.  Wait for RT.