Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

I stand by my nobody checks on Metacritic to decide whether to see a movie or not. It's nowhere near as ubiquitous and popular as Rotten Tomatoes. Studios boldly use Rotten Tomatoes in their advertisements. If they use Metacritic it's a tiny little thing.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

2 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I look at RT score and don't understand why STX lifted embargo so early. Or they've expected to impress us 6.2 score and 74%?

No one in the GA cares about average score.  They'll see that fresh, red tomato and TOMATO LAW will takes its effect @CJohn

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

No one in the GA cares about average score.  They'll see that fresh, red tomato and TOMATO LAW will takes its effect @CJohn

If it gets the Certified Fresh symbol even better. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I look at RT score and don't understand why STX lifted embargo so early. Or they've expected to impress us 6.2 score and 74%?

That is because you assume a studio can see the future and know exactly how critics are gonna react to a movie.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

I look at RT score and don't understand why STX lifted embargo so early. Or they've expected to impress us 6.2 score and 74%?

Because Valerian DESPERATELY needs good buzz right now before Dunkirk comes out and murders it at the boxoffice.

Have a review embargo until the movie opens will make people care even less about the movie.

• Like 6

• Community Manager
18 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They care about the percentage though as @CJohn will say, if it's within a certain percentage, Tomato Law is that RT will have no effect.

• Like 1

I think I must give a friendly reminder that the RT percentage is methodologically different from the average rating. The RT percentage indicates, essentially, the proportion of critics that would rate a film as overall positive or "fresh".

This is why we have, to use a most recent example, a film like Spider-Man: Homecoming with a 93% but a 7.6 average rating. Many of the best rated comic book films, for example, have this difference (90+% on RT but with an average rating of 7.3 to 7.7 for many of them).

Likewise, Valerian could finish 70+% on RT with a 6-ish average rating. It's percentage could also easily just drop to reflect the lower average rating (and the average rating could still drop itself, given we don't have a large selection of reviews that make up this average rating right now), but this isn't necessarily the case.

For example, last summer, The Secret Life of Pets finished with a 74% and 6.2 average rating. Lights Out finished with a 76% and 6.3 average rating. Central Intelligence with a 69% and 5.7 average rating.

With a small sample of reviews in, we'll see what direction it goes. My stab in the dark guess is that it will finish at about 65-70%. For whatever reason, most of the reviewers so far are acknowledging the film is flawed but are still choosing to give it a positive rating and say it is overall a "fresh" film.  We'll see if that holds up - it could definitely still end up under 60% if most reviewers moving forward learn toward the film as being "rotten" overall, as that can happen with films too.

Peace,

Mike 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

One more review >>FRESH<< ! Updating OW prediction from $10M to $70M because of the all-powerful Tomato Effect. :sparta:

Nope. It's not right.

$118M OW. Tomato Law is King.

Meh, the reviews confirm my fears. In theory this movie has absolutely everything I find interesting, especially the raves about avatar like special effects. However, all that is nullified if the two leads are uncharming, lack chemistry, and are seemingly miscast :-(. DeHaan and Delevigne also kind of look like twins instead of love interests IMO...

A good start with 75%. It is too early to predict the RT score after only 20 critics weighed in... but apparently not too early to write something like this:

‘Valerian’ Gets Destroyed By Critics — A Round Up Of The Harshest Reviews

‘Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets’ is a beautiful mess, according to most critics. We’ve gathered some of the worst reviews of the new film that cost $180 million to make — and they’re pretty intense.

While the movie, starring Dane DeHaanCara Delevigne and Rihanna, doesn’t hit theaters until July 21, the early reviews of Valerian are in — and well, they’re rough. We’ve chosen some of the most jarring reviews

When they smell blood in the water, some media hacks are eager to pile on a movie like Valerian. I'm not sure where it comes from, especially when the actual reviews are not that bad (yet?).

• Like 2