Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

LUCY is just awful. But FIFTH ELEMENT is delightful and this looks like more of the same. 

Yeah. This won't run into the same problem as Lucy, where they had a neat premise, but no clue how to resolve it. 

• Like 1

People defending Lucy is so weird. It might be Besson's worst film. Though I confess I haven't seen many of them.

All it has going for it is an intriguing (although completely false) concept. The characters are flat, the plot isn't developed, the action is uninspired. It isn't just an underbaked meal, it's one that you realize has a raw and frozen center when you bite into it. It's boring. And perhaps worst of all, it's forgettable.

• Like 1

Lucy is the kind of movie that should have had a $200m budget but only got what, 1/5 of that, so it just kept spinning its wheels doing almost nothing with its concept until the very end. I was truly disappointed by what a bore it was.

Edited by Jake Gittes

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Lucy is the kind of movie that should have had a $200m budget but only got what, 1/5 of that, so it just kept spinning its wheels doing almost nothing with its concept until the very end. I was truly disappointed by what a bore it was.

A bore? Is that a common complaint about it? It definitely wasn't a bore for me.

Lucy took a very silly concept and made it fun. It wasn't mind-blowing or anything but it was a fun couple of hours.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if this percentage of folks who find LUCY "boring" correlate with the percentage of those who find Nolan's films "exciting" and "thrilling."

And I know I'm in the minority on this feelings, but I'm fine with it! :P

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Interesting development. But I feel would've been better to reteam with Uni for Valerian? STX can have the rest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Interesting development. But I feel would've been better to reteam with Uni for Valerian? STX can have the rest.

I am feeling better with all that's not called EuropaCorp... Who knows, maybe some fresh(er) blood will help? Maybe....

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

This. Not sure if stx can give it the kind of marketing push this movie needs to do decent numbers domestically like say Tarzan. 

The only thing is that, as the Deadline article says, the guy at STX in charge of this was one of the execs at Universal in charge of the Lucy campaign.

This is the sort of project that really needs a major studio behind it.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1