Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

7 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

GITS at least only cost $110 million. Valerian will probably have a similar box office performance DOM and WW.

This is doing almost half of GITS's OS numbers in France alone.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

If the combined presence of Tatum and Kunis couldn't power Jupiter Ascending past $50M there's no reason to expect this to fare much better.

for Valerian I didn't get the same feeling as when JA was released. 

For visuals, Valerian reminds me of Avatar. But somehow it also reminds me of GOTG and Tron. 

I think the story, characters and acting will be the keys to its success in the long run.

I don't think it will make less than JA. If it has the same reviews as JA it won't do much better anyway.

Edited by Jack

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's from an unproven studio, the source material is too obscure, neither star is a draw at all, and it's opening during a packed timeframe. If the combined presence of Tatum and Kunis couldn't power Jupiter Ascending past $50M there's no reason to expect this to fare much better.

Star power is a significant but only one aspect of marketing. Good marketing can side-step lack of star power. Valerian promos to me are far superior to JA promos. Not that V is looking to do gangbusters but beating JA shouldn't be tough.

John Carter, another flop/disaster, managed to beat JA handily with smaller stars

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Their people might have a good sense of the budget (especially after the movie opens), but it's not like they're going to be looking at the documents themselves. Honestly, same with most directors. It's the producer's job to deal with that, the director just gets to play with the toys. 

Why especially after the movie opens ?, movie approximate negative cost tend to be talked at contract level for big director/actor/writer, maybe they do not have that good sense of the actual budget, but the net budget used in their how much money they will make formula, I would imagine that they know. They probably have seen graph on how much they would do depending on the movie performance (using comparable) before signing on.

Reading the negotiation between Paul Feig team and Sony for Ghostbuster writing/directing/EP credit in talks for example:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/81364

How the interest rate paid on the movie financing will affect Feig bonus is talked about, what to do with the tax credit when they will come in year laters and so on, what to do if he bust is signed and agreed production budget (penalty or not and of which kind). At those superstar level I think they will know a lot even on a studio movie (if they are interested to know and if they have penalty if they go overcost, they certainly are aware).

Director in those THR roundtable or writer/director on The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith often sound like they know the budget of their movies (Goldsmith systematically ask them that question and often get a response).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

They might know "the budget" but they probably don't know the budget.

Yeah that is the budget I'm talking about (the one in "") that people with bonus after cb0  type of contract will all know (the rest only if the want to follow that by curiosity on how it work), but the directors will often know something close to the budget and will be offered some option on how to spend it (do you want more days or that crowd for that scene, etc...) I would think.

1 minute ago, Asyulus said:

Alright.

DOM: $25m

WW: $63m

This is even more fucking absurd.

You're saying that OS will only be 38M, even with France?  And that domestically it'll make less than the likes of How to be a Latin Lover, Monster Trucks, and Life?  Yeah, no.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

This is even more fucking absurd.

You're saying that OS will only be 38M, even with France?  And that domestically it'll make less than the likes of How to be a Latin Lover, Monster Trucks, and Life?  Yeah, no.

Really? I'm just joking.

DOM: $125m

WW: $263m

Forgot to add those 1, 1 and 2's. This movie will still flop though.

8 minutes ago, Asyulus said:

Final predictions:

DOM: $28m

WW: $74m

Besson has already 4 movie in the top 100 biggest movie of all time in France

Le grand bleu: 9 194 343 ticket solds

5th element: 7 727 697

Arthur et les mini moi: 6.4m

Lucy: 5.2 m

Is last 2 big movie made over 40m in France alone. The Euro went down since, but it still sound overly pessimistic.

I have no idea how anyone can root for  this to flop.  Look how much fucking thought was put into this movie.  It'd be tragic if all his hard work ended up with him making little money.

I can't wait for this.  I might see it twice in theaters if I must.  This looks so fucking great.

Edited by That One Guy

Side note, the weekend of July 21-23 could have five films reach $20m for the 3-day weekend. DUNKIRK and WftPotA definitely will, and I think GIRLS TRIP will break out and make it. That leaves SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (which should have enough stamina to stay above $20m for its third weekend) and of course VALERIAN.

• Like 2