Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Honestly it's kinda disheartening when you see some people chanting for this film to flop.  I'd prefer a bit of optimism that it does well, especially given how ambitious and different the film is.  If it succeeds, then that'd be fantastic for not only this movie, but other potentially ambitious sci-fi projects people have in development.  Just food for thought.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

Honestly it's kinda disheartening when you see some people chanting for this film to flop.  I'd prefer a bit of optimism that it does well, especially given how ambitious and different the film is.  If it succeeds, then that'd be fantastic for not only this movie, but other potentially ambitious sci-fi projects people have in development.  Just food for thought.

God bless your soul.  Box office smash if I have anything to do with it.

i don't.

• Like 3

I'm so excited for this, i love space operas, this seems really creative, imaginative, freak... And the visuals are insane, i see the trailer in 3D and is mind blowing, could be the better use of technology since Avatar.

I think it will flop in USA ($ 70 - 80m) but i have a feeling it will doing really good overseas, if China surprises i can see this doing $ 450 - 500m WW.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, That One Valerian said:

#TheRealMVP

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

This movie needs to succeed. I really hope American audiences turn to it especially since summer is very dull. 

Agree.

Post WONDR am not excited for much except 3 movies which have something in common:

AtomicB (bold, beautiful, original)

Val (bold, beautiful, original)

Apes3 (is a sequel, not original but certainly beautiful and bold : more thoughtful than your run off the mill summer action franchise)

(Naturally Dunkirk comes to mind for the same reasons and Nolan...but I didn't dig the promos much...looks like Dullkirk :P)

14 hours ago, That One Valerian said:

I agree and felt the same about King Arthur and the fantasy genre. :kitschjob:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, That One Valerian said:

Right...I admit that there are some movies I'd love to see fail, usually because a lead actor is a POS or they messed up on something race related, but this one? This is the most innocuous movie to aim spite upon. Let things be bright and colorful and wild. The leads don't seem to have a ton of personality? Let's wait and see.

Apparently the comics involve her a bit more than him, but I can't confirm as I haven't read them yet, but I do hope it's an equal partnership on screen.

• Like 3

These types of space adventure movies are really interesting in terms of box office, cause it seems that they either absolutely kill it (Star Wars, GotG) or are immense flops (John Carter, that one movie where Channing Tatum is a wolfman and Mila Kunis controls bees). It feels like a total coin toss in that sense. I hope Valerian does well though.

• Like 1

The trailer for this has arguably the best visuals i have seen in a trailer ever. Even better than Avatar IMO. The colours were so vivid and eye popping. This looks like a must see in IMAX 3d. Not digging the leads though, i wish they could have gotten someone better. Thats the only negative i can see in this movie

18 minutes ago, a2knet said:

What if Val does 90%+ RT....Look how RT swayed Baywatch's ow (albeit in the wrong direction)

I will be happy with 30%. You know the North American critics are going to come really hard at this because they will compare it with Star wars, Star Trek and GOTG..all american sci-fi/space opera movies. The french critics don't really like Luc all that much, so that's that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

I will be happy with 30%. You know the North American critics are going to come really hard at this because they will compare it with Star wars, Star Trek and GOTG..all american sci-fi/space opera movies. The french critics don't really like Luc all that much, so that's that. 

true.

I though am looking forward to Val more than SW. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I though am looking forward to Val more than SW. :)

Luc/Rian rankings:

1. Brick

2. The Professional

3. The Fifth Element

4. Looper

5. Lucy

6. The Brothers Bloom

Using these rankings, and taking the Valerian and Last Jedi promo into account, I've gotta say... I think I'm looking forward to Valerian more too.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Morieris said:

Apparently the comics involve her a bit more than him, but I can't confirm as I haven't read them yet, but I do hope it's an equal partnership on screen.

The comics should be arriving in a week or two in my house and I'll let you know if that's really true then.

its really nice to see some love for this movie in this thread. Let's hope this one surprises people.

• Like 1