Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

14 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That didn't stop people from predicting it to flop back in 2009. 

One more in a long list of bad predictions...

Pretty sure not many predicted it to outright flop, though. Most had it doing decent if unspectacular numbers if i remember correctly.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Except it was never gonna compete with them at the box office. Jupiter Ascending also had crazy visuals and was always destined to be a bust at the box office. Distributors are idiots if they fell for a pitch comparing Marvel to Valerian. 

Agreed. Problem is "The French Flavor" might not agree with audiences as much as the Star Wars films do.

And if Valerian under performs world wide Besson will have a hell of a time selling the sequel to distribution companies. It's they that will take the bath if this does not make a profit.

And Cameron and Besson is just a bad comparasion as far as filmmaking styles go. Cameron is realitively straightforward, Besson is, for lack of a better world, more "intellectual" in his approach. This can be both good and bad.

I guess I am weird because I prefer Besson's more "grounded" films to his sci fi fantasies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think it's far too early to say that the leads were miscast.  

Both Cara & DeHaan seem to have good chemistry in the promos.

I think Cara is very well cast and DeHaan could be too as long as he is not grinning non-stop in the movie, like he did in ASM2.

5 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Covered 96% of the budget with pre-sales? Force Awakens didn't even do that. Sounds like a very questionable statement by Besson given the fact we know this movie isn't going to perform like TFA at the box office. 

I doubt Disney pre-sales much for a movie like Force Awakens, they distribute themselves in most market and do not sales their movie revenues that much, they don't need it specially not on a safe shot like a Star Wars.

5 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Distribution rights would be a much better phrase than pre-sales. 

Not sure I fully get the distinction between the 2, pre sales is I think the short way to say pre-sales of distribution rights, they are synonym.

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I doubt Disney pre-sales much for a movie like Force Awakens, they distribute themselves in most market and do not sales their movie revenues that much, they don't need it specially not on a safe shot like a Star Wars.

Not sure I fully get the distinction between the 2.

This pre-sales word is having people so confused.

:lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure I fully get the distinction between the 2, pre sales is I think the short way to say pre-sales of distribution rights, they are synonym.

In America, the term pre-sales can refer to movie tickets sold in advance to the public. 

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/16/force-awakens-100m-in-presales-and-rave-reviews.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-ticket-presales-are-big-951164

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

I really want this be a success, but the historical for non-sequel independent films at overseas box office isn't so good.

The bigger one is Django with $262.5m, I guess.

List of independent movies:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/widestindie.htm?page=WIDESTINDY&sort=gross&order=DESC&p=.htm

I hope V can surpass it at least.

This is NOT an independent film.

• Like 1