Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

A Thousand Millions Planetwide! :ohmyzod:

53 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Got free passes to see the generic science fiction flop of the year. Well at least I wont have to pay to see it.

Maybe it will flop, maybe not. But it is very unlikely to be "generic".

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Bresson is an acquired taste for American Audiences; he is a bit too "European" for many American audiences.

I think the studio expects this film to make it's big bucks in the overseas markets;it it just does OK in the US they will satisfied with that.

Personalyy, I actually prefer Bresson more gritty films like "Le Femme Nikita"and "The Professional" to his extravanganzas.

Perhaps you're confusing Bresson and Besson? :P Because yes, one of them would REALLY be an acquired taste for modern action audiences. :lol: 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Perhaps you're confusing Bresson and Besson? :P Because yes, one of them would REALLY an acquired taste for modern action audiences. :lol: 

I don't know what you're talking about, Lancelot du Lac was totally the original LOTR

• Like 2

Since there has been a lot of talk about the budget, this interview is interesting:

There have been suggestions that if Valerian flops at the box office, EuropaCorp could go under financially. Is that true?

Like every film company, we will only greenlight a project if at least 80% of its budget is covered. With Valerian, we’ve covered 96% of the budget with pre-sales. I heard that a newspaper did write a bit of shit about the company but actually this newspaper belongs to another company that is going to release a film at the same time. It sounds to me like a very, very below-the-belt attack.

The risk to EuropaCorp is 4% of the budget so there’s no actual financial risk. The risk for the company is more one of notoriety. If the film is a big flop, we’ll lose credibility for making these sorts of films. The risk is not financial, but rather human.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Covered 96% of the budget with pre-sales? Force Awakens didn't even do that. Sounds like a very questionable statement by Besson given the fact we know this movie isn't going to perform like TFA at the box office. 

Makes perfect sense to me, I am not sure what you re implying with the Force Awakens comparison.

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Do what? Force Awakens had around $120m in pre-sales. Besson is claiming Valerian has close to $200m in pre-sales. Sounds like bullshit to me. 

I think you got it wrong here.

We re not talking about that Kind of pre-sales, probably a translation error from french.

Besson sold to movie to local distributors in EACH country that is not France, that s what he meant.

So basically Besson & Europacorp will make no money on Valérian whether it makes 300m WW or 1B WW, there was no other choice since Europacorp doesn't have the infrastructure to distribute & market the movie all over the world.

Only the big Six can do that.

Well Besson paid himself 20m euro to do the movie still so ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

I think you got it wrong here.

We re not talking about that Kind of pre-sales, probably a translation error from french.

Besson sold to movie to local distrubtors in EACH country that is not France, that s what he meant.

So basically Besson & Europacorp will make no money on Valérian whether it makes 300m WW or 1B WW.

Well Besson paid himself 20m euro to do the movie still so ...

Thanks, that makes more sense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Distribution rights would be a much better phrase than pre-sales. 

In french, Besson probably used the word "pré-ventes" which translate into pre-sales but it does not mean the same thing.

It is called a "faux ami", false friend, when the word to word translation doesn't mean the same thing.

• Like 3