Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

The PR spin from Sony is getting very sad. Changing midnight numbers five years later, adding money, and being quiet now.They are not pleased with this movies domestic performance so far.

To be fair to them, I am sure Disney politely told them to stop changing numbers from Disney movies. So that limited Sony's options a bit.
  • Like 3

So let's recap here:First Spiderman 3 made 7.5 mill at midnight, not 10Then ASM made 35 mill ODThen it made 23 on the 4thThen OD now is 35.85 mill because they "forgot" to Puerto Rico the Monday sneaks from CanadaThen the number on Wed dropped to 23.75 minutes later they found more money, presumably from a bunch of cash laying on floors in some theater is Anchorage, Juneau, the one theater on the Baffin Islands and the island of Oahu, and now the gross is 23.4.Am I missing anything here?

• Like 8

So let's recap here:First Spiderman 3 made 7.5 mill at midnight, not 10Then ASM made 35 mill ODThen it made 23 on the 4thThen OD now is 35.85 mill because they "forgot" to Puerto Rico the Monday sneaks from CanadaThen the number on Wed dropped to 23.75 minutes later they found more money, presumably from a bunch of cash laying on floors in some theater is Anchorage, Juneau, the one theater on the Baffin Islands and the island of Oahu, and now the gross is 23.4.Am I missing anything here?

:rofl: :rofl:

I think that even if the movie would do 200 M minimum (which we agree will be disappointing, even though it'll be a hit overseas), it's pretty obvious that this year is just jammed superhero wise.The Avengers was released barely 2 months and so ago and was an absolute monster, and then there's TASM, and then there's TDKR in 2 weeks, it's just too much, not that I'll complain, I'm thrilled, but people might be getting bored or less enthusiastic.And Spidey 3 disappointed, now I have no idea what its cinemascore was or how the audience reacted to it, but it doesnt seem like WOM was great on this one,, and God knows it's hard to come after this.

• Founder / Operator

What I love about the events today is that EVERYONE ended up be wrong at some point. We've all changed our extrapolations following our pre-release predictions so much that its what makes this kind of event exciting, heh.

• Like 4

I think that even if the movie would do 200 M minimum (which we agree will be disappointing, even though it'll be a hit overseas), it's pretty obvious that this year is just jammed superhero wise.

The Avengers was released barely 2 months and so ago and was an absolute monster, and then there's TASM, and then there's TDKR in 2 weeks, it's just too much, not that I'll complain, I'm thrilled, but people might be getting bored or less enthusiastic.

And Spidey 3 disappointed, now I have no idea what its cinemascore was or how the audience reacted to it, but it doesnt seem like WOM was great on this one,, and God knows it's hard to come after this.

Sounds like something we've been saying for months but we were ignored and deemed "haters" instead?

Guam and nothern Mariana islands :lol:
  • Like 1

Why was spider-lawyer banned? Any specific incident? Or just the penalty for several days of madness?

He said this:"GO FUCK YOURSELVES YOU CHILDISH HATERS NOLANITES SCUMBAGS" :rotfl: :rotfl: Edited by Magic
  • Like 2

I think that even if the movie would do 200 M minimum (which we agree will be disappointing, even though it'll be a hit overseas), it's pretty obvious that this year is just jammed superhero wise.The Avengers was released barely 2 months and so ago and was an absolute monster, and then there's TASM, and then there's TDKR in 2 weeks, it's just too much, not that I'll complain, I'm thrilled, but people might be getting bored or less enthusiastic.And Spidey 3 disappointed, now I have no idea what its cinemascore was or how the audience reacted to it, but it doesnt seem like WOM was great on this one,, and God knows it's hard to come after this.

And a lot of people said all of that. Plus, it's a reboot. And they were labeled haters. Maybe they weren't haters after all, but were just right.Which doesn't include me. I was wrong. I said brand name would carry this to $300M.

Some food for thought... Granted, Spider-Man 2 didn't have Independence Day fall on its second day or 3D grosses, but The Amazing Spider-Man only trails it by 8 percent after two days.Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think there's anyway in the world it could maintain anything close to the same type of pace going forward. But when it comes to midweek openers in general, I think it's best to wait at least until Friday's gross is in before trying to pin down exactly where a film is headed long-term, as things can still change a lot (good or bad) in these cases once the weekend hits. Independence Day not behaving like it did back in 2007 only adds to the uncertainty at this point IMO.

What I love about the events today is that EVERYONE ended up be wrong at some point. We've all changed our extrapolations following our pre-release predictions so much that its what makes this kind of event exciting, heh.

To quote Spaceballs, "Oh, you're right, and when you're right, you're right, and you, you're always right!"

It'll certainly be very interesting to see how much TASM does in the end, and especially how TDKR will do next, and the other superhero movies to come.I still think that Thor 2, Cap America 2, etc, will be much bigger thanks to The Avengers, but it may turn out to be wrong, maybe The Avengers was a one time thing.