A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

1 hour ago, robertman2 said:

To be blunt, Emily Blunt isn't that popular.

Why is she hyped by the web?

NaiveUnhealthyClumber.gif

51 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Cotillard is another actor who'll never be exciting to GA

People used to say the same about Scarlett Johanson a few years ago, for example. All it takes is an iconic role.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Most well-known actors are "value-added" actors. They can generate a little bit more interest in a film with their involvement, but not enough to carry it. It's only the top of the top that can truly carry a film with their mere presence (Leo, Denzel, Cruise, etc.).

Exactly.

@Arlborn Scarlett Johansson's opening power boils down to Lucy only as of now. That's one movie. She didn't add boxoffice value to Hail Caesar, for example. I'm sure that GITS will open well but that's, again, another action movie, not a completely different genre. Real stars have crossover power. So she's still a question mark as far as drawing power goes.

But anyway, that Blunt gif is an example of things that GA shurgs off while Internet/social media builds cult around and than can't understand why no one else cares.

@filmlover well spotted about Fassbender and audience.  Makes sense. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's interesting how Fassbender seems to be closer to box office poison than any kind of draw considering I really don't know what's to dislike about him? You'd think he'd be a bigger star. 

He's mostly made his name playing frosty characters (the evil Magneto and the despicable slave owner from 12 Years a Slave are arguably his two most famous roles), and audiences don't tend to gravitate towards actors with too many "chilly" associations.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Exactly.

@Arlborn Scarlett Johansson's opening power boils down to Lucy only as of now. That's one movie. She didn't add boxoffice value to Hail Caesar, for example. I'm sure that GITS will open well but that's, again, another action movie, not a completely different genre. Real stars have crossover power. So she's still a question mark as far as drawing power goes.

You're talking about drawing power man and that's such a huge discussion around here. There aren't many actors these days who are a genuine drawing power. Cruise was mentioned but did you see Jack Ratcher's numbers? He's a draw in certain kinds of roles only these days, and that is if the movie looks decent. It's the same for most actors nowadays

I'm sure Scarlett is a drawing in Widow-esque kind of roles if  the movie is well-marketed and looks good. That's just how star power works these days for almost everyone.

• Like 1

@Arlborn

I agree with that. I've just noticed that Internet in general (not here though) is too eager to crown a female draw on the level of male draws and they've rushed to crown SJ after only one movie that, as you point out, was a well-marketed Widow-esque role. 

Yes, I've seen Jack Reacher's #. The Accountant beat the crap out of it which opens a question of Ben Affleck's status. Value-added in well-marketed Wayne-esque roles or a real draw?

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Arlborn

I agree with that. I've just noticed that Internet in general (not here though) is too eager to crown a female draw on the level of male draws and they've rushed to crown SJ after only one movie that, as you point out, was a well-marketed Widow-esque role. 

Yes, I've seen Jack Reacher's #. The Accountant beat the crap out of it which opens a question of Ben Affleck's status. Value-added in well-marketed Wayne-esque roles or a real draw?

Let's see what Live By Night has to say.

Interesting - first look at Fassbender and Labed speaking Spanish

Spoiler

seems like the English version of the spot could then be said to be a spoiler....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, antovolk said:

Interesting - first look at Fassbender and Labed speaking Spanish

Hide contents

seems like the English version of the spot could then be said to be a spoiler....

It just sounds like they're performing some ceremony or initiation. Aguilar, like Cal, recites the timeless maxim for the brotherhood. 

Btw what's the source for this?

Edited by RedX
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, RedX said:

It just sounds like they're performing some ceremony or initiation. Aguilar, like Cal, recites the timeless maxim for the brotherhood. 

Btw what's the source for this?

http://ispot.tv (search for Assassin's Creed and look for Alternate Versions)

The big deal is though that the sequences in the past are all gonna be in Spanish to this is our first look at that so to say.

as for the spoiler point - was that what you were referring to? Because in the English version we have Cal's mother who we know is dead at the start...

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, antovolk said:

http://ispot.tv (search for Assassin's Creed and look for Alternate Versions)

The big deal is though that the sequences in the past are all gonna be in Spanish to this is our first look at that so to say.

Hide contents

as for the spoiler point - was that what you were referring to? Because in the English version we have Cal's mother who we know is dead at the start...

Oh yeah I was referring to the Spanish. I had posted a spot a couple days ago and I was perplexed by that character's appearance given what we know about the first twenty minutes

On 28.11.2016 at 4:01 PM, Valonqar said:

Scarlett Johansson's opening power boils down to Lucy only as of now. That's one movie. She didn't add boxoffice value to Hail Caesar, for example. I'm sure that GITS will open well but that's, again, another action movie, not a completely different genre. Real stars have crossover power. So she's still a question mark as far as drawing power

I do not disagree to your POV in general, but to using that example:

even star power does not have an impact as you seem to imply, if the role is not centered on the person/character in question of having how much BO appeal.

Plus that film is a period piece, is about a theme a lot of people do not enjoy to watch, ... It has at least one actor involved seemingly in the top... earner whatever list, and some rather well known co-actors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I do not disagree to your POV in general, but to using that example:

even star power does not have an impact as you seem to imply, if the role is not centered on the person/character in question of having how much BO appeal.

Plus that film is a period piece, is about a theme a lot of people do not enjoy to watch, ... It has at least one actor involved seemingly in the top... earner whatever list, and some rather well known co-actors.

I agree that it definitely isn't simple. However, because star power is often simplified as "one name should be credited for all success" I'm just pointing out that isn't really the case. Lucy didn't open just because SJ was in it, but because she was put in a mass-appealing material (action scenes, high concept) which was not the case with movies such as Hail Caesar, Under the Skin (this wasn't even an arthouse hit cause it couldn't earn back its budget from limited release, which many indies can), We Bought the Zoo, Jon John, and other movies she also made while playing BW. And yet the star power didn't rub off on them because the material didn't hold the crossover appeal of Lucy. 

• Like 2