The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I don't think people have problem with Bane, they shouldn't. He's a plain and simple terrorist, who wanted to torture Gotham. That's why he didn't kill the policemen. I agree that the same motives are a bit of a stretch for Talia, but after multiple viewing her acts more sense and you start you appreciate her character much more. She really got involved in many things. I agree that it's the worst written villain in the Nolan universe, but it can't have a huge impact on the grade of the film as she's only revealed 15 minutes before the end. That followed by an epic IMAX chase which point I doubt that you're thinking too much about her motives. Her death scene was ok, don't know why people calling it bad acting, it was a scene that's been done millions times, therefore it was't special, nor was it bad. The only disappointment was Bane's death, he deserved a better execution. As you see I don't claim it to be a flawless film, I'm aware of a few hiccups, but they are all minor things compared to he ambitious scale of this film and the perfectly executed elements like the IMAX shots, Alfred and Bruce's relationship, Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle, Bruce's journey to the bottom and his rise, the passing the torch to Blake, and the perfect ending to the trilogy.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

It felt truly and more satisfying and compelling after watching the whole trilogy on the same day. Bruce (also Alfred) and Gotham deserved that ending. That alone is enough for me to forever love this trilogy. It was truly the "conclusion" we were promised and received.Can't wait for Superman :)

Umm, Talia? She gained Fox and Bruce's trust.
This is an assumption and one not based on anything concretely. Trusting her to take care of the clean energy device is one thing. This one item is what you base your assumption upon.Trusting her with the knowledge of where Batman's secret arsenal was beta tested is a whole other thing entirely. That would mean letting her in on who Batman was, which to them she was still just Miranda Tate, no more, no less.
  • Like 1

Review: The Dark Knight RisesThe long-awaited finale to Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy is here, and for the most part it delivers. The Dark Knight Rises is as profound as a superhero film can possibly be, and often treads territory unexplored by even its predecessors. The plot is filled with intrigue, the cast is superb, and the technical craftsmanship is perfection. Nevertheless, this is much farther from being a flawless film than its predecessor.I laud TDKR's ambition. The film has more on its mind than both TDK and any other film released this year (although one could make a case for Prometheus). The narrative is huge and, though there are some moments of awkward pacing, the film handles its 2 hour and 45 minute runtime adeptly. The action is thrilling and the suspense visceral. The film contends with wealth inequality, grief and redemption, At the same time, the effort to complement a dense plot with flawless technicality leads to moments where one must ask why exactly the events on screen are important to Nolan's overall vision. In contrast, TDk's post-9/11 themes and ruminations on ambiguous morality were clear but equally poignant.The dialogue is poignant and sprinkled with sporadic humor. Where others have seen unrealistic bombast, I see dialogue that is appropriate for the intelligent and pensive characters in Nolan's universe. The problem is that there are simply too many moments in the screenplay that strike me as a bit too convenient. One of my biggest pet peeves with others' criticism is when people lower their rating because they disagree with a character's actions or they believe events in the film are implausible. That said, several moments strained the integrity of my suspension of disbelief. Implausible events don't simply happen in TDKR but rather seem as though they were contrived just to prove the film's ambition. Characters are given motivation and personality but lack the dynamism that made TDK's script so visionary. Talia's character is a particular weak spott. Her character offers a contrast to Wayne's ability to "move on," but her relationships are not given the proper screen time to develop or even make sense. It is very possible that my contentions with both implausibility and character development fade on rewatches.One aspect in which TDKR equals and occasionally surpasses TDK is the film's ensemble. There is no single performance in the film which rivals Ledger's Joker, but several come close. Anne Hathaway gives her best performance since Rachel Getting Married as Catwoman; she electrifies the screen and has a real understanding of the character's affected surliness. Caine gives arguably the most sympathetic performance of the film. Gordon-Levitt's John Blake is charismatic and likable. Hardy gives a surprisingly expressive performance with only his eyes and body language. Bale gives his most three-dimensional performance of the trilogy and Oldman is as strong as ever. The only partial weakness in the cast is Cotillard, an extremely talented actress who is phenomenal as Miranda Tate until her death scene, a maudlin and soap operatic attempt at justifying the emotional heft of her final speech.On a more minor note, I quite enjoyed Bane's voice as well as the general soundscape, even if there are moments where Zimmer's score feels like it's crashing cymbals onto your skull.A comparison to The Avengers is difficult when the two films differ so vastly in tone and structure. Nevertheless, I can safely say TDKR excels its fellow superhero mega-blockbuster. TDKR's failures are in endeavors that The Avengers is too afraid to delve into. Whedon sacrifices narrative depth and emotional poignancy for entertainment and the pursuit of an archetypal "comic-book" experience. A film as "fun" as The Avengers grows tedious, however, when it perpetually bombards you with corny one-liners and bright visual effects, never allowing you to ask yourself why you should care in the first place.Overall, I greatly enjoyed the film and look forward to a second viewing to reassess my rating.Not final rating: 8/10, B+, #3 of 2012 (Moonrise Kingdom).For comparison: The Dark Knight, 9.5/10, ABatman Begins, 7.5/10, BThe Avengers, 6.75, B-

While it was used wonderfully, I was kinda annoyed that Zimmer reused the same music from TDK's final minutes for TDKR's final minutes.A little variety never hurt.

Edited by 4815162342

Third viewing, this time in 15/70 IMAX, confirms it: I fucking love this movie.I understand the movie has some plot issues and can feel bloated at times, but it's an epic scale and fitting conclusion to Nolan's Batman trilogy. I am now completely sold on the ending. It works so good, and I'm starting to see that killing off Batman/Bruce Wayne was so expected it would have been a cliche. That his character comes full circle and finds his peace is totally satisfying. Bale doesn't look bored here, he reaches down and put his heart into it. At times in the movie you find yourself wanting to see more of BATMAN but the deprivation of him leads to a better payoff when he finally does rise. The only thing Anne Hathaway could have done to improve the role is to steal more scenes. Tom Hardy is, much like Bale, a shapeshifter- and even without the mask completely unrecognizable. It's impossible to live up to the Joker but Bane is a good attempt and I fucking love what Hardy does with his voice. He's a proper, Renaissance villain! He speaks in prose and then breaks your neck. And I appreciate Marion Cotillard's performance more every time- her manipulations through the whole movie plus the "knife that cuts deepest" speech is incredible. And that score, maybe it's a bit repetitive, but it gets your blood pumping. Even when you're expecting it to be softer in an emotional scene like the Florence cafe, that bass kicks up and it still works.The only flaw that truly bothers me is the funky sense of time- but in the overall scheme of things, it's a nonissue. The plot gets where it needs to go and it doesn't take me out of the film so I can look past it.9.0 (A)

Edited by The aDIM Legacy
  • Like 1

This is an assumption and one not based on anything concretely. Trusting her to take care of the clean energy device is one thing. This one item is what you base your assumption upon.Trusting her with the knowledge of where Batman's secret arsenal was beta tested is a whole other thing entirely. That would mean letting her in on who Batman was, which to them she was still just Miranda Tate, no more, no less.

For the complaints about plot gaps, this is the only one that has really bothered me. There is no plausible answer I have heard yet that explains how Bane how knew where Applied Sciences was.

Something I've been wondering both times I rewatched and nobody answered... since when did Catwoman become an ally of Bane and co.? I get that she delivered Batman in exchange for them to stop harassing her, but when does that translate into her walking into their homecamp and bossing the henchmen around when she "delivers" Wayne and then frees Fox/Tate?

Edited by The aDIM Legacy

I more or less agree with aDIM. The sense of time and space in this movie still kind of bothers me. Otherwise I couldn't have asked for more out of TDKR. It's not quite TDK but the ensemble is the strongest of the trilogy and thematically and emotionally it really hits home. I feel like it's just going to get better each time I see it.

It wasn't visible from below though, was it?

Nope, and there were guys in Applied Sciences that were up above too stealing some of that equipment. It's not really something that can explicitly explained. It could be implied that Talia, as head of the board was able to find out about Fox's dealings with bringing all of that equipment in similar to Mr. Reese in TDK (seriously...that Hangar looks awfully big to just hide from anyone) and notified Bane.Sort of flimsy, but not entirely unreasonable either. Edited by MrPink

Nope, and there were guys in Applied Sciences that were up above too stealing some of that equipment. It's not really something that can explicitly explained. It could be implied that Talia, as head of the board was able to find out about Fox's dealings with bringing all of that equipment in similar to Mr. Reese in TDK (seriously...that Hangar looks awfully big to just hide from anyone) and notified Bane.Sort of flimsy, but not entirely unreasonable either.

In which case BW would have known she was a traitor well before the reveal...

In which case BW would have known she was a traitor well before the reveal...

Eh not necessarily. Bruce may have just figured that Bane was able to find out of his own accord. Bane does not indicate how he was able to find out.