The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I was talking about around here. I'm renting it tomorrow, so maybe I'll come around ;)

It does get better after repeat viewings. And no, people aren't giving it a free pass around here. There has been a shitload of nitpicking on that movie, way more than what happened with its predecessors even though both of them were very flawed in their own right.

It does get better after repeat viewings. And no, people aren't giving it a free pass around here. There has been a shitload of nitpicking on that movie, way more than what happened with its predecessors even though both of them were very flawed in their own right.

again, the fact that people noticed the flaws on TDKR but didn't in the other two simply shows that TDKR didn't really keep one as engaged in what was going as the other two did

again, the fact that people noticed the flaws on TDKR but didn't in the other two simply shows that TDKR didn't really keep one as engaged in what was going as the other two did

I already agreed with you on that. No need to repeat it. My point is the notion that it's getting a free pass is bullcrap. This thread is much longer than any other one in the Grade That Movie forum, and the vast majority of the thread is bickering over the supposed strengths and weaknesses of the film.
  • Like 3

TDKR is a lazy movie in comparison to BD2 and Transformers 3. And it's not idiotic bud, it's an opinion. And since opinions are allowed here, respect mine enough not to call me an idiot. TDKR is the epitome of lazy, but if you like it that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. You don't see me going around calling you an idiot for liking a stupid, lazy, incoherent, inferior, silly, void of logical monstrosity of a film, do you?

And my opinion if you will is that the views of anyone who finds the Twilight and Transformers series (particularly number 2 and 3) as anything but lazy, to be idiotic is my opinion. So, respect that bud. For example if its not 'lazy' to have a transformer suddenly able to take on human shape perfectly and then never explain or mention that idea again than I'm really not sure what one would possibly consider to be lazy.You are free to call me what you want. I'll try not to drown myself in tears over it.

While acknowledging the film's minor puddles in plot and thematic development, it's a shame to see a movie try so much more than the rest of today's blockbusters and actually mostly succeed be called lazy.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 3

While acknowledging the film's minor puddles in plot and thematic development, it's a shame to see a movie try so much more than the rest of today's blockbusters and actually mostly succeed be called lazy.

Honestly it is a pretty standard superhero film. The themes are not very deep or subtle in any way. I don't have a problem with that, but I do find it funny when people like to say TDKR is "intelligent and mature and thought provoking" Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Honestly it isn't. If TDK was filled to the brim with ideas then TDKR is cup overfloweth. I've seen very few movies that try to bite off as much as this one, especially 250m blockbusters. We can argue about the execution but the effort was undeniably there.

This film is at the exactly same level with Prometheus. They are in different genres but in a way they are just very similar to each other. I suppose if one hates or loves Prometheus, he mostly likely feels the same about TDKR.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

There were plenty of flaws in TDK, and the ones in TDK bugged me more than those in TDKR.The only flawless Nolan movie is Memento, and Inception is pretty close imo.Besides I'd rather see a movie that's ambitious, with a few flaws here and there, than a movie that plays it safe.

This film is at the exactly same level with Prometheus. They are in different genres but in a way they are just very similar to each other. I suppose if one hates or loves Prometheus, he mostly likely feels the same about TDKR.

Nah, Prometheus was a steamy turd that seem to make its story up as it went along, it had no payoff what so ever, just a cliffhanger in the hope people will pay for a future sequel to get the answers we should have had in the first. TDKR was good, not great IMO, but still good. It got better for me on repeat viewings but it didn't flow as well as TDK but then again, TDK left some big shoes to fill.

And my opinion if you will is that the views of anyone who finds the Twilight and Transformers series (particularly number 2 and 3) as anything but lazy, to be idiotic is my opinion. So, respect that bud. For example if its not 'lazy' to have a transformer suddenly able to take on human shape perfectly and then never explain or mention that idea again than I'm really not sure what one would possibly consider to be lazy.You are free to call me what you want. I'll try not to drown myself in tears over it.

Fine. But telling people they are idiots because they like something you don't, is idiotic. So I guess we;re both idiots. I can live with that.

Transformers may be lazy story telling, but it certainly isn't lazy film-making and if anyone disagrees with that then that's idiotic.

In other words, the Transformers movies suck. So, on this issue there is no debate! And no intelligent person can think differently.

Well Spielberg, Nolan and James Caneron must all be idiots then.No-one goes into a transformers movie expecting a masterpiece, what we get us action sequences no other director can replicate and humour. My only problem with them is they are too long.
  • Like 1

The only thing that's not lazy in TF is the action. If you're watching movies only for the action, I guess they're fine. Just to be clear, I don't think action alone equals entertainment.

Characters in Transformers are better than they were in TDKR. Megatron even has more of a motivation than Bane.