CJohn

Star Trek 2 OS thread

Still not good. Won't be a profitable movie

Yeah by that same measurement the first one wasn't profitable, yet Viacom had no issue at all with getting a sequel and even increasing its budget.

Both of the films will make at the box office more then double its production budget.  In cases where that happens it's been my experience that those films have been considered a success (and stated so in financially of the production company in quarterly reports.  While some of that might be just studio pr, when said studios then do more then just talk, but actually file sec reports, and also commit to sequels its usually a good sign that said film did earn some level of profit.

Now clearly I am sure that the studio had hoped for larger domestic numbers, but there is a difference between not making money and not meeting expectations.  A huge difference.

• Like 4

Plus its not just about the profitability of STID its about the ST brand over all. The ST franchise and all of its merchandise and backlog of shows benefits when ST remains in the spotlight. Star Trek is worth too much money for it to just disappear. 

• Like 1

STID is really disappointing here. I thought it could make at least 4 times what ST09 made, but it only made twice ST09's number. Release date is the main problem. It had good OW, but then it was crushed really bad in its 2nd weekend by FF6, which is probably gonna be the 2nd biggest movie of all time. STID will have less than 2x multiplier from its 5-day OW! It's sad, because the WOM is actually great, and people love it. But theater owners decided to give most of STID's screens to FF6, and gave it no chance to have legs. :(

About 34m by Wednesday in China.

Isn't there a 3 day holiday coming up? It should get another nice bump from that. I'd say $50+ plus would be a lock at this point. A 600%+ gain over Star Trek 09' is insane.

• Like 1