41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Drive

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Don't get why this movie is so loved. It felt just like any other, boring movie... I actually laughed throughout it at Gosling's character's actions, and the way he behaved (just smile and nod, dude... smile and nod)

• Like 2

Don't get why this movie is so loved. It felt just like any other, boring movie... I actually laughed throughout it at Gosling's character's actions, and the way he behaved (just smile and nod, dude... smile and nod)

You're dead to me Edited by acsc1312

very stylish crime drama with a great union of music and image. however, it is just a crime drama, with not much else to be said for it. in fact, considering that the film views its main character rather positively, as some sort of lone wolf who doesn't follow the rules and sacrifices his chance at love in order to be a(n anti-)hero, this is probably best described as a male revenge fantasy. entertaining and sleek but a pretty shallow masculine dream.

6/10

this is an hour movie stretched into a 2 hour movie with added shots of Ryan Gosling looking cool, old school sound track, more silent ryan gosling shots of him looking cool, more 70's disco music and even more Shots of Ryan Gosling looking cool. Bryan Cranston is the best part of the movie.

Finally got around to seeing this(yes I know, years behind), I just do not get how this movie makes some people jump up and down so much.  Maybe its because of really high expectations after hearing about it forever, but I found this movie boring as fuck and I really didn't care about anyone in it.  The cool music, few bursts of crazy violence, and sexy cinematography couldn't save it for me.   Carey Mulligan is not a likeable actress and what a waste of Bryan Cranston and Ron Perlman.  At least its much better than this director's catastrophic followup, Only God Forgives.

C

One of the great films of the decade and tied for my favorite Refn with Valhalla Rising. Like Hanna from the same year, a brilliant reworking of fairy tale tropes into a subversive, stylized action film, in this case one that's additionally inspired by '80s pop culture and silent-lone-wolf films like Le Samourai and The Driver. Everything comes together beautifully, and the entire elevator scene is a stroke of genius that should be shown in film schools, it's one of the very few times I can remember when a movie literally took my breath away. 

• Like 1