41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Drive

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I need to see this movie again! After I saw it in theaters I didn't know what to think, but after sitting on it for while, I think I really love this movie. It's probably the best made movie as a whole this year. It's an art film, but in a unique way. Love that it's non-conventional, especially in the remake/reboot era we're in right now. Gosling is on fire this year, and I can't wait to see where his career goes from here.A/A-

Great Soundtrack. Grand theft auto vice city feel. Gory as eff. Beast playing a bad guy was hard to buy. Running a real outfit from a pizza joint ? Not believable. Creepy stare like that would usually have the girl dialing 911. That can all be forgiven for it's serene movie shots and an excellent opening as well as some awesome kills.B.

Overhyped and galacially paced.

I absolutely adore Carey Mulligan, but she was completely miscast here.

Could have been a classic, but it missed the mark. It's a B for me.

I think this (joke) script about sums it up:

Posted Image

Edited by tracygee
  • Like 1

A-Just saw this in theatres today. I really liked it, it's a great piece of art. I've heard rumours of an outside chance of RG getting an Oscar nom, I don't agree with that at all - having no expression on your face isn't that difficult. This movie is only 100 mins long which is perfect for it, I'm glad it didn't drag on, the pacing was very good and I was constantly engaged with the story. I would definitely watch it again.

Holy fuck, this is one terribly overrated film. It's hypnotic in the beginning, the action is well coreographed, and the violence is brutal. But towards the end, I just couldn't help but not give an utter damn about any character and the latter half of the film was a slight blur.

B-

• Like 1

And you have proved to be a real human being, and a real hero...

Oh my gosh! Where do I begin?

First of all, this is one of the most stylishly well-directed and beautifully effective movies I have ever seen.

Right from the breathtaking opening scene, this movie draws you into its atmospheric and captivating charm. We see Ryan Gosling as the driver, driving around an alluring LA. He drives in silence, very rarely does he say word. But he doesn't need to. A toothpick in his mouth, and an innocence we see in his eyes, the driver is one who keeps the discussion in his head. We do not know much about him, except that he is a shy and solitary character that finds himself lost in a world of crime and violence.

The style that lives within this film is absolutely mezmerizing. Think a live action version of Grand Theft Auto, there's definitley a hint of that in its pink opening credits. All this mixed with a retro soundtrack, paying homage to the classic 80's soundtracks. This works perfectly with movie, setting a slick vibe through it's 100 minute runtime.

Another thing that works tremendously is the acting. Ryan Gosling treats his muted character with incredible ambience, it allows us to read his thoughts and care for him as he finds himself in the brutal situatios he gets into. Carey Mulligan is great as always, sharing great chemistry with Gosling, as the two stare at each other in silence and restraint. Albert Brooks as Bernie Rose is very scary, bringing a memorable antagonist to life. He definitely deserves the nods he's getting. Virtually all the cast do a great job.

For the first half of the movie, the driver seems a completely innocent and G rated character. He does not show a hint of violence at all. In the second half, however, we are shown a completly different side to him. It really makes me wonder how far people are willing to go to protect people they care about.

Simply put, Drive is a masterpiece. What could have been a generic action movie was polished up with Nicolas Winding Refn's art house style direction and makes for film-making at its finest. It's easy to see why this movie is gaining a cult following.

A+

• Like 1