Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Guys, all I'm saying is that The Dark Knight was simply hyped up more. Whatever happened with the original Batman, The Dark Knight beats it in both adjusted opening weekend gross and in overall gross. It would be incredibly difficult for any other Batman to live up to it, including TDKR.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Did Rth give us numbers? I know he hinted vaguely for midnights being 30M but havent seen him give updates for Fri day, Sat & Sun.

(This thread moves too damn fast)

Yes. Every time I come back, I'm 5-6 pages behind it seems :wacko:
  • Like 1

Well, yeah, but you know what happened.

Then I don't think we're in disagreement really. I was merely pointing out growth from 89 to Returns. Maybe there was a ceiling but it means somewhere near 180+ Edited by MrPink

Then I don't think we're in disagreement really. I was merely pointing out growth from 89 to Returns. Maybe there was a ceiling but it means somewhere near 180+

I don't think I worded my response correctly the first time. Matching The Dark Knight might have been possible, but that should've been the absolute maximum expectation for it, since any further than that would be setting a new admissions record and an unrealistic goal for a movie lacking such an iconic hook.I recognize that BR was able to accomplish that feat in 1992, but we're talking about more than double that crowd here, and TDK was a sequel that more than tripled the opening weekend of its predecessor. And Spider-Man 2, despite being regarded by many as being an improvement, still opened and finished significantly lower than the first. There had to be other stuff going on with TDK besides being a Batman movie like there was with the first Spider-Man. I know SM3 then proceeded to break the opening weekend record itself, just saying that we shouldn't expect these kinds of things every time out. Edited by tribefan695

Yeah, and let's not forget the HUGE controversy back than regarding Michael Keaton as Batman. Tons of diehard Batman fans completelely freaked out -- Keaton, never!

True story and he turned out to awesome as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Michael Keaton is def under appreciated.

I don't think I worded my response correctly the first time. Matching The Dark Knight might have been possible, but that should've been the absolute maximum expectation for it, since any further than that would be setting a new admissions record and an unrealistic goal for a movie lacking such an iconic hook.

It is difficult to set expectations for a film after it has already been open. Usually it's called something else. Hindsight.

I don't think I worded my response correctly the first time. Matching The Dark Knight might have been possible, but that should've been the absolute maximum expectation for it, since any further than that would be setting a new admissions record and an unrealistic goal for a movie lacking such an iconic hook.

That's fair. I predicted 190m so that's a small increase so I don't think I would have been too burned had this played out normally

With all the hype surrounding the opening of this movine there is no way it should have opened less than TDK adjusted. The shooting definitely had an affect, at least in the short term. Those that decided to skip seeing it this weekend will most likely get around to it. I think the second weekend drop could be better than it would have been.

With all the hype surrounding the opening of this movine there is no way it should have opened less than TDK adjusted. The shooting definitely had an affect, at least in the short term. Those that decided to skip seeing it this weekend will most likely get around to it. I think the second weekend drop could be better than it would have been.

I don't deny the shooting had an effect but the number is far enough below TDK's adjusted total that you could make a case for both factors. People are pointing out how hyped up the 89 Batman was, but we have numerical data to prove it still wasn't as much as The Dark Knight. Edited by tribefan695

Had another friends text me saying he was blown away by the movie, an he didn't want to see it originally because he hated hathaway.Either way, the film has people dissapointed, on the brim, satisfied, or amazed; should translate to at least above average legs.

That was 20 years ago and Nicholson was not as hyped up as Ledger was.

Actually Nicholson as the joker....hell FUCKIN JACK NICKOLSON in a comic book movie was as hyped as they come and people were going crazy over his performance.

Actually Nicholson as the joker....hell FUCKIN JACK NICKOLSON in a comic book movie was as hyped as they come and people were going crazy over his performance.

Batman 89 adjusted gross: $499 millionThe Dark Knight adjusted gross: $588 million