Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Lol, what's this "best movie of 2011" nonsense I hear?

Is there a problem? I'm really not ones for piling hyperbolic praise and worth on top of movies myself. But Margaret is a movie that for the better part of six years was basically told it didn't deserve to exist. Fox dumped it and tried to sweep the whole thing under the rug over a contractual 150 minute maximum runtime. So like many critics this year I'm going to plug it as much as I can.

With Rth saying similar to DH2, TDKR could have a serious problem passing TDK for the weekend. Clearly, I overpredicted with 210M prediction but it should have hit 180M with 30M+ Mid and now it might not even hit 160M OW. Shooting has cost TDKR at least 20-25M for OW.

• Like 1

Except using a poll from one little website like DHD is hardly indicative of the entire nation.

Yes, it should actually be a higher percentage, as it is the family audience most likely to stay away, and DHD probably doesn't get too much of that demographic.
  • Like 1

I say the only true way to know the extent of the tragedy's affect on OW is in it's 2nd and 3rd weekend holds. If it has a truly phenomenal 2nd weekend hold then the shooting likely did have a very large effect. If it has a pretty normal 2nd weekend drop for a $150m+ opener then its effect was more minimal.

• Like 1

"Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Harvey Dent: You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Harvey Dent: The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.

Two-Face: You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time. But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance.

"James Gordon Jr.: Why's he running, Dad?

Lt. James Gordon: Because we have to chase him.

James Gordon Jr.: He didn't do anything wrong.

Lt. James Gordon: Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Likely goes down as one of the most quotable movies in a while.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

"Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Harvey Dent: You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Harvey Dent: The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.

Two-Face: You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time. But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance.

"James Gordon Jr.: Why's he running, Dad?

Lt. James Gordon: Because we have to chase him.

James Gordon Jr.: He didn't do anything wrong.

Lt. James Gordon: Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I get chills just reading that last quote. Everytime I actually see it set to the music and Oldman's voice my whole body is in numb. MASTERPIECE. PERIOD. :wub:

I was out all day and I just read the last 70 pages. Man what a depressing read :(

I think the people who are downplaying the effect of the shooting are probably not looking it at it from other people's perspectives. Most people on this forum are probably young, near college aged males who as notfabio pointed out are not deterred by this news and still turning out to see TDKR in theaters.

However, imagine what kind of an effect hearing about a massive shooting at a movie theater would have on a parent. Of course they are going to think twice about bringing their family to the theater if they think that they might be jeopardizing their entire family's safety. And all these news reports blaming the shootings on the tone of the movie itself or the security of the movie theater, etc., basically everything except the isolated psychotic mentality of the shooter himself certainly are having a huge effect as well. What kind of parent wants to look bad and tell others that even after all the warnings from the media, they still took their entire families to see the movie just because they were looking forward to it? Not many I'd presume.

Before people start saying that the family crowd doesn't matter for TDKR, just remember it's a freaking BATMAN movie. Even in the unfortunate aurora incident, many children and even a baby that was 3 months old were injured. Don't tell me that you don't think that did not have an effect on people's overall mentality of going to the movies this weekend.

Edited by Iceroll Rises
  • Like 4

I say the only true way to know the extent of the tragedy's affect on OW is in it's 2nd and 3rd weekend holds. If it has a truly phenomenal 2nd weekend hold then the shooting likely did have a very large effect. If it has a pretty normal 2nd weekend drop for a $150m+ opener then its effect was more minimal.

Not necessarily, shooting could effect it's run entirely. People who boycotted it on OW, could still continue that after the OW.
  • Like 2

Not necessarily, shooting could effect it's run entirely. People who boycotted it on OW, could still continue that after the OW.

I'm not buying that. The number of people who are flat out boycotting it are a very small and niche group. The vast majority of people that aren't gonna go this weekend are the ones that are scared and shaken by the incident. That won't last forever. These things never do. Eventually they'll go back to the theater, and they'll wanna see TDKR.

I was out all day and I just read the last 70 pages. Man what a depressing read :(

I think the people who are downplaying the effect of the shooting are probably not looking it at it from other people's perspectives. Most people on this forum are probably young, near college aged males who as notfabio pointed out are not deterred by this news and still turning out to see TDKR in theaters.

However, imagine what kind of an effect hearing about a massive shooting at a movie theater would have on a parent. Of course they are going to think twice about bringing their family to the theater if they think that they might be jeopardizing their entire family's safety. And all these news reports blaming the shootings on the tone of the movie itself or the security of the movie theater, etc., basically everything except the isolated psychotic mentality of the shooter himself certainly are having a huge effect as well. What kind of parent wants to look bad and tell others that even after all the warnings from the media, they still took their entire families to see the movie just because they were looking forward to it? Not many I'd presume.

Before people start saying that the family crowd doesn't matter for TDKR, just remember it's a freaking BATMAN movie. Even in the unfortunate aurora incident, many children and even a baby that was 3 months old were injured. Don't tell me that you don't think that did not have an effect on people's overall mentality of going to the movies this weekend.

Well said and again really sad it had to end like this. I mean the lives lost is bad enough.

I get chills just reading that last quote. Everytime I actually see it set to the music and Oldman's voice my whole body is in numb. MASTERPIECE. PERIOD. :wub:

I watched TDK earlier this week on blu ray and then just a few minutes ago on TNT, both times it made me tear up a bit.

Except using a poll from one little website like DHD is hardly indicative of the entire nation.

Yeah, it should be even higher for the entire nation. People who go on DHD obviously care more about movies than your average Joe and they're probably younger and don't have families.

Just came back from movie. A movie like this ALWAYS sells out at that time (7:45pm-8:00pm shows) on a Saturday night. This movie did not sell out.Heck, they weren't even asking for stubs as you entered theater. In the end, there were about a good 20-25 seats empty (all on front of course).Movie was great A+Man of Steel teaser played last. No reaction. But I loved the last scene. :)

I'm not buying that. The number of people who are flat out boycotting it are a very small and niche group. The vast majority of people that aren't gonna go this weekend are the ones that are scared and shaken by the incident. That won't last forever. These things never do. Eventually they'll go back to the theater, and they'll wanna see TDKR.

I think if TDKR drops to 350M or under then my theory definitely comes to play. Edited by druv10