CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

I don't legs will be that big. It should get a 3x multiplier, unless it's considered to be an absolute disaster. 120 / 380 is more likely.

Right! Sorry I did my math wrong, 120...240...360!

120/360 :P

Normally the studio requires two and lets theaters choose the rest. Maybe this time they required Minions and gave a choice of Ted or Everest?

Minions should have been attached to EVERY print of Jurassic World - no questions asked. JW and Minions both have huge family appeal. I'd be genuinely shocked if Universal didn't require Minions in front of every showing.

Ted 2 has more kid/teen appeal than Everest, so I would think Ted 2 would also be required. 

I think Minions is on its way to a $125 million OW on its way to a $375-380 million finish DOM, $600-700 million OS. Another $1 billion hit for Universal

I think this one will be very huge.

Same here... I'm actually thinking July 2015 in general will be huge. July 2015's slate should go for the record with Minions exploding, Pixels and MI5 doing extremely well, Ant-Man and Trainwreck providing back-up, while Terminator, Paper Towns, Vacation and Magic Mike XXL simply show up. 

Minions - $375 million (bullish after JW) 

Pixels - $240 million (sleeper hit of the summer) 

Mission Impossible 5 - $225 million (solid performer) 

Ant Man - $175 million (same as Thor 1/Cap 1) 

Trainwreck - $140 million (sleeper comedy of the summer) 

Terminator Genysis - $120 million (first tentpole since JW should help this get past $100 million DOM) 

Vacation - $110 million (benefits from no major competition in August/September) 

Paper Towns - $85 million (no competition and John Green should get this to $80-90 million) 

Magic Mike XXL - $70 million (decline from the first, but the mild budget should prevent this from bombing) 

The Gallows - $30 million (nothing special for WB) 

Southpaw - $25 million (solid indie hit) 

Self/Less - $15 million (total bomb right here) 

Not to mention June's looking like

Jurassic World - $650 million (smash hit of the summer) 

Inside Out - $325 million (first animated film since Home... first straight kids/family film since Paul Blart 2... critical acclaim... likely had plenty of trailer views due to JW last weekend) 

Ted 2 - $230 million (Spy's non-breakout performance will help this explode) 

Spy - $125 million (a decent hit for McCarthy/Feig) 

Max - $60 million (mild family hit) 

Insidious Chapter 3 - $50 million (decent enough for a horror sequel that lost its original cast/crew) 

Summer 2015 is looking quite explosive. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 2

$100+ OW / 375 - 400 million and $550 - 600 million OS for $925 million - 1 billion WW... :D

My brother can barely keep himself contained and is just READY to go to theaters to see Minions; it's his second most anticipated movie of the Summer behind Inside Out and the trailer might have bumped it a notch! :P  Aside from my brother's fascination with Minions, the trailer received lots of laughs and claps in my screening; especially the naked scene. 

• Like 1

Was looking at DM's breakdown on BOM and saw it dropped from Friday to Saturday. The weekend was 21/20/14. Why was there no Saturday family bump? It was Saturday July 10, so there was no holiday. Only a 2% drop, but still a drop.

The only other animated movies I remember dropping was TS3 and MU, both those were both long awaited sequels with fan rush, Despicable Me was not. DM still had an insane multi, but i'm just curious. Is this more common than I'm thinking? Or was DM just a special case, like TS3 and MU?

• Like 1

Was looking at DM's breakdown on BOM and saw it dropped from Friday to Saturday. The weekend was 21/20/14. Why was there no Saturday family bump? It was Saturday July 10, so there was no holiday. Only a 2% drop, but still a drop.

The only other animated movies I remember dropping was TS3 and MU, both those were both long awaited sequels with fan rush, Despicable Me was not. DM still had an insane multi, but i'm just curious. Is this more common than I'm thinking? Or was DM just a special case, like TS3 and MU?

Summer family tentpoles often drop on Saturday, unless they opened on Wednesday. It also happened to WALL-E, The Smurfs, Brave, Cars 2, and HTTYD2.

At most, other family films increased 5%.

• Like 4